RC 23 Patch - AC Units and Empires Servers Are Freezing

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Krenzo, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dame_pol

dame_pol Member

Thank you.
    Im using a windows vista now, so if i make a video in a windows xp, i never get crash?

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

How close do you think we are to a real release canditate? It seems to me that most of the obvious bugs have been fixed, and next release will bring more fixes, so ...

It can't be that long anymore now can it?

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well we can start making things look more perdy. Lots of minor details still need to be worked out. I'm not talking about gfx either. Things that were an irritant but not deemed a bug.

4. picard131

picard131 Member

Graphical refinement is definitely a must for this release, and it goes a long way towards making 1.08 feel a helluva lot different than 1.07, but it has to come after all the bugs are fixed.

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Please be more specific.

6. picard131

picard131 Member

Improved textures and moar animations, decals on vehicles/buildings to show that they've been hit, or maybe even 'damaged' textures when they're at a certain % of health. All the little eyecandy bits that come together to make the game look a whole hell of a lot better by release.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

have you ever played 1.7? the improvments are here.. maybe you just havent noticed them

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The new map textures are worthy of screaming "OMG" Compared to what other mods consider major updates...

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I have to agree with grape and shin. Compared to 1.071 this is heaven. The new textures for maps, hdr, new weapon models, new animations, new effects, new sounds, new trees, improved buildings, new props, new world models, ... etc are all here already.

I rarely get to say this, but i think graphicwise 1.08 is just fine. Compared to 1.071 it's a MAJOR step forward. More improvements are always nice, but not necessary for this release.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

When I joined at RC14 I was already wondering why this hadn't been publicly released...9 more RC's on, i'm wondering why 1.08 and not 2 or 3.0 with all the changes that have been made.

It's still beta and the extensive testing is more like a finished product, which is great but...I think a lot of people will enjoy this as it is now, so it really doesn't need to be held back any longer. :)

11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I think it's being called 2.0 when it goes public. There's still some bugs and things that need to be done before release.

I, myself am mostly concerned with the old weapon models that are still present and lack of animations for certain things.

12. Squid_AT1

Squid_AT1 Anchors Aweigh My Boys, Anchors Aweigh!

I agree that compared to 1.07, 1.08 is breath taking but it shouldn't be compared to itself. It should be compared to other games it might compete with. That's called Benchmarking.

Adding more eye candy wouldn't hurt.

13. ^Dee^

What do you suggest then?

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

More bumpmapping.

Seriously bumpmap everything, as much as possible.

The rock textures in HL2 look gorgeous with bumpmapping, best textures in the game in my eyes.

Maybe make some more props? More detailed buildings etc. The current buildings look a bit blocky sometimes, the VFs are good, as is the BE barracks, but I think the others could use more architecture and to look a bit more like buildings. The NF barracks looks like a church, not a barracks, and the tendency to make everything out of metal plates and to have most walls being perpendicular to the ground doesn't do it for me. More low angled slopes should be used to deflect incoming shells (whether or not it actually works is irrelevant, you angle things if they're going to be shot at) and maybe some concrete, especially on the NF buildings given that they're more low tech than the BE and don't have the benefit of massive amounts of polyduranium alloys or whatever the BE build their stuff out of.

15. ^Dee^

I wouldn't mind seeing the NF repair bay getting a work over. At least that little empty room.

16. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

absolutely, that room totally needs to be opened up for use by infantry.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Did I see a server full of bots last night? I swear I did. All the names said bot(some number).

This could make games that are low on population more interesting. :)

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

I agree that all these things would be very nice to have eventually. However if you want every map to be updated with textures with bumpmapping, and new building models, it will take many, many months before everything would make it into an rc to be bugtested.

I don't think at this point people have much to complain about. And when the aircraft version gets released it would be nice to add several improvements in graphics and playability to that changelog as well. Afterall a changelog that says "- added: some aircraft" after at least a year of silence isn't that impressive (i for one am not really waiting for aircraft, so i'd like some other major improvements to be included). I know work is being put in new building models, but it's already been said that these won't be included in this release.

If someone really knows something that he/she thinks must be improved now he should say so as soon as possible. I've seen too many posts like "yeah, the maps should be improved" or "it needs more effects". I really like 2.0 to be released soon so please be specific if there's something you think that needs to be done first.

Let's try to give krenzo a chance to finish up the list with things to do, without adding more. Unless bugs are found. :)

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

That doesn't mean that these bots are useful for anything other than testing squad skills.

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

empires has working bots, but their more like pinballs. they dont shoot, they dont jump, they do nothing but walk in a straight line until they hit something, at which point they bounce off. they work, but they dont actually play