Rax Tactics

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Ikalx, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

So I was talking to Destroyer today about barracks and effective ways of taking them down. I was pretty surprised that when I talked to him he couldn't really see the benefits of the rax cover - BE's ridges and NF's old boxes, because he wouldn't usually be up close and personal to the target.

I thought this was pretty strange, since while of course there's a straight clash between forces near a rax, there's also a lot of situations where you come up to a barracks that is sparsely populated, and taking it down often changes the direction of the game. Though I'm not really talking about ninja attacks, but rather the second front of the battle. The areas that usually get disregarded and left open after a while.

I just thought I'd ask around whether a lot of people still find themselves in this kind of situation. Where they're closing in on a rax and only have about 10-30s or so to take it down. Where they're hiding amongst cover to get another 5s to take down the vital building.

Or, if most or half the people never find themselves in that kind of scenario. If it's just something they wouldn't do, for whatever reason. Be that that they might die (quickly), or it won't work, or if they think focusing on the spawning infantry would be a better way to go, etc.

And also if you find yourself in that situation, how useful is the cover generally? Negligible, lifesaving or somewhere in between?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Don't get me wrong, when I'm swarmed by enemies and am at the barracks I do hide, but mostly inside it as it's the vehicles that scare me more than infantry. The average barracks doesn't go down just because I'm near it, though.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Win game - loose game

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's pretty much what I thought...

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

TL;DR The cover is very important. Because a rax is very important.

If I am to attack a wild rax.
    Drop walls and ammo box at roughly 5 meters away and then throw 9 seismics.
    If there's kill spawner, walk up to the rax immediately.
    If there's fire coming up, that means no one is repairing the rax, walk up to it while throwing 2 more seismics, when you reach the rax, immediately decon that shit.

How to deal with kill spawner? For BE rax, the rax should be on fire when they spawn.
    First, you get on top of the rax, observe that spawner's action, if he's repairing the rax, then jump down and approach him, while doing so, throw more seismics and decon the rax.
    If he's good enough to repair the rax while looking for you, when he's outside the rax, make sure he sees you, because he'd then switch to weapon.
    Wut do next? Kill him? No, because you are dumb and you can't shoot for shit, you rush to the other side, jump down and get inside the rax, because the enemy is dumber than you, he'd chase you with a weapon and congratz, the rax is already down.

For NF rax? Stay at the corner of the rax(outside) and it's all improvisation.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. D.D.D. Destroyer

Security summed up my feelings very well, I kept imagining the first situation or when there are enemies in hot pursuit behind me.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The problems occur when it's 2 kill spawns.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol. Which is why I was like "wtf you on about?" You even said it never happens, lol. This is why I get so confused about players these days. I describe a perfectly normal situation and people say it never happens.

So when I say that the new rax doesn't really have cover, that's what I'm talking about.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Well I played all night yesterday and didn't run into any cover issues, so I'm still not convinced :3

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Kill them both? It worked out pretty well too.

Even if you don't have the base skills to kill them both, enemy team have 2 less guys on the field anyway.

It is indeed a very normal situation, except people don't really care about the rax.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

But the rax is generally the win/loose factor in the equation! :eek: