PUG on February 15, 2000 BST / 2100 CEST / 1500 EDT / 1200 PDT

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Dude, you're getting a little heated. Leave the bickering to the rest of us.

Let's cool things down and hug it out.

[​IMG]

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

You got stuck in my walls and got killed by a retard named Dark fox something.

Who spent the entire game with a scout rifle.
    And ignoring everything I was saying.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

sounds to me like i got a new person hooked onto empires

maybe you shouldn't have been so rude

e: also i didnt get stuck in your walls. i ran into you

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I think I've just had an angry week :(

I actually thought that was the least aggressive post I'd made in a couple days.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What? I never chose it. It was the map that was on the server when we joined, I only chose canyon and midbridge.

Sadly people don't understand how to play maps with more than one front, since all anyone ever seems to play is bootybay which is one line. I think the playerbase has been conditioned to not having to think about the other parts of the map.

6. BigTeef

No, I ran into you and walled you in.
    It was your choice to stay when you got free.

Why should I be nice to somebody who spends the entire game ignoring me and swearing at other people?
    They voted me for com, they knew exactly what they were getting into.

I made a flow chart.
    I hope its good enough.

[​IMG]

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You know in the case of slaughtered when something like that happens I never feel like I won. It wasn't a ninja or someone on the team being clever, it was just someone on the other team deciding he was bored, and had the piece the rest of the team depended on. I will also say I was somewhat miffed on slaughtered because I thought it was clear where what squad was doing, but they all went bridge, and just sat there. I did laugh a little when someone asked why we ignored the ref in south east at the beginning.

I don't understand why you thought that cake squad was helpless on midbridge Spartacus. You guys were gaining ground. Later I learned how hard it was to fight an uphill battle on coast.

You are right about commanders, it was one of those things I didn't think about because I knew there was going to be at least 8 commanders at the pug. It always ended up as everyone going "well who's it gonna be? Cuz I don't want to do it." I'll make a note of that, try to get at least 4 people to agree to command during the pug. That is going to be somewhat hard though I feel, they have to volunteer for it. Like captains though no one wants to volunteer for anything. Personally I thought I was going to command a game, but I got scared off by the number of people and quietly twiddled my thumbs while I waited someone else to step up. I did m_valley at least, when the player count dropped to like 18-20 something.

Extra thoughts: Again, I thought maps that aren't played as often would be fun, mostly because we know how most matches go on common maps. Like you said though, it looks like no one wants to be totally clueless. So I will stick to stock maps next time, though I will find a decent map that isn't m_valley that could be played towards the end of the pug. Actually, does someone have a list of the default maps that come standard with empires? Because I know there was a couple added that weren't there a few years ago, I think anyway.

Comm vote time will be upped, but not too much. In most cases spartacus was right, people had debates over who was going to have to command most matches I think. So most of startup time was wasted on that. Then again beyond"alpha north, bravo south" I didn't really hear any strategies. Which I guess is the reason you want it extended. It also took some people 2 minutes to either load the map or finally join a team, so that didn't help. I just don't want to waste too much time on the com vote. These pugs aren't the most serious of business because its an anyone can join sorta thing.

This is the first pug I ever tried to get together though, so I did make mistakes and I apologize for that. Next time will be better though because I have a clue as to what to do.

OH I wanted to give a huge thanks to AZK for setting up the server and being a very helpful guy in general. Thanks AZK.:)

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I just want to say this:

Whoever thought 3-phase or any other engine should be balanced by shit retarded driving properties, needs to be shot!

9. BigTeef

I understand the need for fast engines but.
    There are other engines and people only seem to care about going fast than situational.

My build was a perfect setup for slaughter and my team just ate at me of getting coolant on a choke point map.
    You know a map where you spend the entire time sitting in tanks and shooting at each other,
    and just backing up to repair and repeating the process until a hole in punched.

Granted my team didn't do anything but sit in base so having 3 phase wouldn't matter regardless if I had it or not.
    They just drove around getting people out of my base the entire time, there was never a need for anyone to go fast.

I am tired of this 3phase bullshit, whats the point of having options of other engines if nobody cares except going fast.
    I am the goddamn commander, its my job to figure out whats best for the team and what is good to use on the map.
    I should not get orchestrated because peoples autism kicked in.

10. ImSpartacus

Usually that kind of squad wags its dick around, crushing everything in sight.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I was so lazy that I literally cared nothing.

On canyon, I had a 40 secs time window to save you, I could have saved you easily but I was just sitting around, literally watching you getting gangbanged because I was too lazy. :cool:

12. ImSpartacus

If I gave a shit, I would've gotten turrets first and set up a massive farm while building to heavies.

Nope.

I was curious to see how many armories I could drop.

This is why pug organizers need to arrange for legitimate coms to be on each team, each round.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Sorry for the old scripts, I'll sort that.
    couldn't take part this time

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We killed in less than 20 seconds. The moment we attacked, unless there was a tank within 10 seconds of us, it was gg. If that tank took more than 5 seconds to react, it was still gg. We're talking an engy, a scout and 3 grens/rifleman, plus squad arty. That kills a CV in next to no time at all. Not to mention we were in a crater near the rocks which gave us cover to prevent us getting run over. Spartacus literally couldn't have stopped in a better place for it to take place.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

And then in less time than it took to kill the comm the engy had the comm walled and a protective wall around us. So really, there wasnt much time to stop us. Unless you saw trickster before the squad rev and didnt act

16. ImSpartacus

I was about to say the same thing concerning the time not being ~ 40s, but I think security meant that he saw the vehicle enter nf territory and didn't give fucks. In that case, it may be closer to 30s, so his claim isn't completely unreasonable.

17. ImSpartacus

Wait, that was a squad rev? I thought it was an apc.

...that's how much I paid attention during that match

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What I meant was, when it's on a vehicle that has no real other offensive capabilities because it lacks a vehicle MG, it just becomes something that will die quickly to infantry. It becomes a defensive vehicle, not an offensive one, and that's why it can't save you when you're on the back foot and troops are coming in.

Well the committing suicide isn't good, you should probably give Empires a break if that's the case.

Other than that, though, you did risky plays to begin with and lost out. That's fine, but you need to have plan B in place when you do something risky, and when you need your team to perform in a certain way, that's risky, basically. If you're a relatively new commander in a big game, do all the normal things first, and then do the risky stuff. If you really want to make your plays, do that, but make sure you have things set up behind.

Losing S-Bend and the rax at the bridge is not your fault. Not having a backup for S-Bend at the time, is. Expect your troops to fail, hope they succeed but plan the next line of defence always, so that if they get pushed back they can come back quickly.

Also, I'm not actually sure what people were doing at the bridge. Losing S-Bend happens all the time, but there were no walls at the bridge and no one actually babysitting it. People got across which was good, but then...like...when they moved out of the area or got killed, the enemy was free to cross themselves. It's madness...like attacking without expecting a response.

I hear this. It's pretty daft, tbh. You used to be able to jump in game and rely on what people were saying to plan what you were getting, but when people don't even know how to play properly but think they do, it's pretty crazy.

And then everyone just uses the excuse that they're "lol" playing and how when they REALLY play they know everything to do. That's just a big fat lie for a lot of people. They've lulz around so much they really don't know what to do in a big game.

Regarding Engines, the system is still a little strange. I feel like it should be a bit like this, is it?:

Standard: Speed - 30mph, Heat dissipation (static) 2, (moving) 1.
    Gas Turbine: Speed - 40mph, Heat dissipation (static) 2, (moving) 2.
    Bio: Speed - 45mph, Heat dissipation (static) 1, (moving) 2. Overheat protection.
    Advanced Coolant: Speed - 35mph, Heat dissipation (static) 4, (moving) 2.
    Fission: Speed - 50mph, Heat dissipation (static) 2, (moving) 2.
    3-Phase: Speed - 60mph, Heat dissipation (static) 2, (moving) 1.

In this layout, Gas Turbine is an improved standard, Bio is more of a skirmish engine - stands to reason since they can still drive while overheated, Advanced Coolant is a Heavy Weapons engine, Fission is a faster reliable engine, 3-Phase is a fast but unreliable engine - if you get into danger you need to sit tight to get out of it.

The balancing of these engines comes in their pricing, and how effective their trees are. Standard could cost 10, Gas Turbine 25, Bio 35, Advanced Coolant 50, Fission 40 and 3-Phase 40. The balance for the cost of 3-phase is its speed.

Obviously these are random numbers I picked out, but scaled to the real, is it at all similar to this, or not really?

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

There was no vehicle. I ran all the way from the hill in BE starting main, round the southern area, just going prone every time a vehicle went past.

Not miles away. Gas Turbine is faster than biodiesel. Fission actually cools quicker while moving than it does while stationary. Most engines cost the same and weigh the same, though I've now made Gas Turbine an exception by making it way cheaper and lighter.

20. BigTeef

I placed buildings I was told to place, and they didn't get built including walls.
    The entire game was people trying to backseat and the least they could do is the basic build what the fuck the commander put down and sense they asked for it.