Post your current battlestations.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Space_Oddity, Feb 21, 2012.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I like how there's an extra screen under your desk.
    Does it serve a purpose like warming your feet or is it just getting kicked?

I like your Kettle-station :)

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That's not a screen, it's a halogen heater. So actually, it is there to warm my feet. This area of the house is an extension and for reasons I still don't quite understand, the heating was never hooked up, so it can get really cold.

I did post an image here but I just realised it's blurred as fuck. Maybe another time.

3. w00kie

Your picture with that electric water jug ruined my perfect imagination of a Trickster boiling tea on something like this, while smiling in harmony with the empire.

[​IMG]

Not your fault though. :)

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Fantasy fan, eh? I'm a bit surprised.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I thought I spied some George R.R. Martin novels. They were hard for me to make out behind all the chroma noise.

6. Trickster

I don't really like fantasty books but the George R R Martin ones are the exception. I loved the TV series but the idea of waiting a year for each book to be on TV, well, fuck that. So I just bought them all, and I'm really enjoying them. I wouldn't say they're any more "out there" than Harry Potter, and I certainly find them much more readable than I did with Lord of the Rings, which I gave up on. I could only really stand The Hobbit out of that series.

Although to be fair, I don't read a great deal. I mean, the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones on TV) series, Harry Potter, and Ken Follet books, are all I've really read over the past 5-7 years or so.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

digression/

Could never get through LotR...way too boring - and i'm a fantasy reader.

The George R R Martin books are pretty mature regarding content (although no way as mature as the tv series, lol), but they're pretty low on fantasy elements. Typically people would call that 'high fantasy', I guess, as opposed to 'heroic fantasy'... which usually means it's less punchy and more about intrigue and diplomacy.

But hey, David Gemmell is my favourite author and he writes (wrote) heroic fantasy, so i'm not really that interested in the difference. If you want a serious kick about whether fantasy holds anything for you or not, try some of his books.

/digression

8. Trickster

I will admit that I wouldn't have even glanced at the George R R Martin books had I not seen the TV Series. I struggle to actually find a book that I can read. I only have the Ken Follet books because I borrowed a friend's book when we were stuck on a coach for ages, otherwise likewise, I'd have never even glanced at them.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You mean it's not easy enough to keep you interested? Sheesh...the Game of Thrones books are kinda the high end if you mean that. That kinda book is meant to be a little difficult...

10. Trickster

I mean, it's not easy to find one that I will actually open in the first place. Once I've opened it, it's fine, but finding one that I will actually buy and then start reading, it's difficult. It's not like a TV series where I can read a synopsis without ruining the book, because that never really works. And book reviews aren't nearly as useful as TV series reviews, because there's so much variation.

11. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

The combination of water cooling AND a mug next to the open case makes me feel ill. I almost shat when I spilled Vimto all over my desk and it went on top of my computer, I crashed the hard drive when I smacked my sleeve into it to mop it up and my G5 essentially drowned (thank fuck for hairdryers) but a second later would have fucked over ever other component in my PC.

12. w00kie

TRICKSTER!
    What gamepad is that? I recently got a wireless Speedlink Strike FX and can't get it to work propperly.
    Xpadder makes it work pretty okay with games that have aboslutely no controller support,
    but those games that have some shitty built-in controller support fuck it up.
    I'm still searching for _good_ xbox-controller emulation :(

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

looks like a ps3 controller to me. exactly what i use for my computer

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

[​IMG]

It isn't current, but it hasn't changed since then.

15. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

That's a cozy setup you have there. Moisturizer and wank-wipes are a bit weird.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Looks almost as comfortable and convenient as my battlestation.

17. Trickster

It's a PS3 controller. I use DS3 motionjoy for most drivers, and Xpadder to compensate for where things don't work properly. I've only really been using it to fly helicopters and jets in BF3 though.

18. w00kie

motionjoy doesn't work for me since my controller works with a proprietary 2.4ghz stick, I use xpadder to controll stuff that is not ment to be controlled with gamepads and toy around with 360ce now. 360ce emulates a 360 controller, but you have to rewrite all the binds for every game and theres no database or community forum behind it :/

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Isopropyl alcohol and some used up container. Yes, I know that Chrome uses quite a lot of memory when you have 30-100 tabs open. I might have to buy few more GB of RAM.

20. w00kie

Opera: 65 tabs of normal internet stuff eats 1.2 gig om nom nom.