Poll on turrets of buildings

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Acolyte, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Turrets ontop of buildings?

1. Yes!

52.9%
  2. No!

47.1%
  1. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Yay or Nay? I personally like it and have employed it in my strategies... Also, for those saying it's exploitable... Yes, but it's very hard (for example getting turrets onto of a vf on a flat map is virtually impossible) So, i don't know. What do you think?

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I kinda like turrets on barracks, but that's it really. Barracks are easy to get on top of for both teams. Other buildings not so much. Turrets do need to explode with the building they are sitting on though, having floating turrets is really bad.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

It looks dumb. They are hard to place, they cover way too much by way of their evelation - it invalidates defilade. I just don't like them.
    Maybe if they were implemented properly as part of the model & didn't get so much elevation, perhaps a much shorter range but decent stopping power I could get behind it.

I'm not a huge fan of the complete chaos that is people running around a cramped base just shooting up shit willy-nilly. I mean fast pace is good but the constant ticket spamming during sustained APC rushes just feels stupid no matter whether you are attacking or defending it just feels like, what the fuck is this nonsense.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You bring up a good point, commanders don't have to be as smart with base design if they can just plop a turret on a building and have 360 degree fire. Base design is like the highlight of commanding, at least I never get sick of it.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

i'd take fixed building placement over turrets on buildings

A-z-K likes this.
  6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I like the features that were introduced with that change so I'd rather it wasn't just rolled back and left. But yeah there are significant game breaking bugs now - you can get around some of them in pub games but they would wreck any busy and half organised match, to the point where I'd say right now there is very little point in trying to schedule anything like a pug, etc.

7. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Bug; not feature.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

The comm view showing you why a building cannot be dropped is a feature?

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Referring to the thread topic.

10. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

In my experience so far, ive only used turrets on barracks and on armories. The BE rax model allows for possibly 8 turrets on the top of it (depending on the set up and patient, i like to put 5) On the NF barracks, you can only put 4 with careful precision, but it is at a higher elevation which can be useful. As for armouries, both can only support 1 turret, and yeah. Also, if i'm comm, and there is a forest area that i can hide turrets in, i would use that over barracks turrets in some cases because it concentrates enemies fire on the barracks and that's not good. So, i think if they implement it in a way where they change the models of other buildings (VF, Radar, etc) so that it is uneven on the roof, then we can have barracks and armory turrets. As for floating turrets, maybe apply gravity to them in some way? i don't know if they can do that, or if it's just impractical in the coding. Or, they can use the building exploding end-time thing to trigger an actual explosion that kills turrets above the building. Idk,
    I really do value turrets on top of buildings and it has made base building 300x more fun.

11. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

P.S It encourages using armories strategically, and walls. Matches on Bootybay are really good examples of why this brings a new level of fun and base management.

12. Neoony

Neoony Member

How about turrets on top of turrets?

[​IMG]

Its all quite easy if u figure out how it works.

It is quite fun bug indeed xD

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

gotcha

14. chernobog

chernobog Member

Removing it will make Empires less fun/challeging...

For all I care, remove the bug and add research for turrets on some buildings and possibly inside buildings...

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

ah yes. turrets will be so useful inside the barracks

chernobog likes this.
  16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you could place on on each spawn to grief your team though ... :D

17. chernobog

chernobog Member

New players and veteran/snobs would be pricks as commanders if turrets are placed on floor while I should have mentioned that turrets being on the ceiling to not get in the way of the player, maybe like those turrets in Half Life...

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

you liked my post but i was sarcastic. the turret wouldnt turn around in time to shoot anybody inside the barracks, not to mention it would block spawns

turrets on ceilings is another thing entirely. and a thing i am for

chernobog likes this.
  19. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Ceiling mounted turrets by the entrances would be OK. I would be in favor of a short range & relatively powerful passive base defense.

Especially at the moment with the placement bug ::cough cough:: it can be impossible to get a decent coverage in a base & turrets are quite weak in terms of their HP.
    All of that means that it really only needs 2 people in a jeep to constantly rush your base and it will either go down or you will end up stuck in base.
    Walls are a helpful but still I really dislike that tactic as effective as it is. Theres really no skill in it for either side. However there are probably better solutions to that kamikazi shit.

chernobog likes this.
  20. chernobog

chernobog Member

You made me laugh also its Kamikaze...

Maybe devs should make/implement heavy turrets with more HP/armor as advanced turrets.