Plea to Developers

Discussion in 'General' started by Ranger, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

Every now and then I get this huge urge to make new realistic weapons for Empires. Sometimes I just start working on old scripts again, but occasionally I give up because I feel there's not support for anything. It feels broken.

I remember that bug in Skyrim where if you made a world map bigger than Skyrim itself, chests and crates would not work outside the Skyrim-sized map. It was believed to be unfixable because it was an engine problem and so many gave up. But others didn't and fixed it allowing them to make their own huge mods.

Many people around here love Empires and it currently needs your attention Senpai. Take pride in what you do.
    Please look into huge well known bugs like projectile speed. I would be happy if at least that was fixed.

As far as weapon creation is concerned... well, it would be fun if we had a Steam Workshop with various versions of weapons, weapon packs, replacements or additions. Not asking to be implemented, it's just one of my dreams for Empires as it would let the community be more involved in the development and balance.

There could also be an in-game weapon maker with a friendly UI allowing you to edit scripts etc.

Please fix this videogame.

2. Neoony

Neoony Member

You forgot hats!

Ranger likes this.
  3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

mods for mods? modception?

Well who wouldn't want a steam workshop page? If only to share re-textures, sounds and models.
    keep dreaming.

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

Not like we got any modders.
    I believe all we got was very few Sound packs and one UI mod. Really long time ago....oh and the RPG fix for its "shield" that was blocking the view and maybe the jeep fix.

Mods for mods isnt uncommon though.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

Synergy got mods.

6. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

What's the projectile speed bug? Could you post it in feedback? Steam workshop support should also go in there.

Of course Empires needs (and gets) our attention. We do our best. Please split up your suggestions so they can be discussed (and planned) piecemeal.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

the developers can only do what you tell them. post the problems on the forums (its not like its that toxic of a site anymore)

they dont stay in spec all day and listen to people whine (well, not anymore)

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You probably already know about it, it's the thing where when you go too high on projectile speed on vehicle weapons the shell or whatever veers off into some direction, which is no where's near where you aimed. It's kinda why you can't really go past around 4000 on any weapon, it suddenly becomes useless. I think several people, and I almost want to say you included but it might have been catface, said they don't know why it does that. I'm pretty positive someone already made a bug report on it too, like a year ago.

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Isn't that engine restriction?

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

No it's not engine restriction lol.

11. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

To be fair rail gun would be a decent candidate for hit scan. Would make it unique, doubt it could be balanced though against anything other than tanks.

12. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Myself and Tama have already started to address this problem actually. The root of the problem seems to be that there are inconsistencies between the client and server projectile. Tama came up with a brilliant way for us to visualise the issue, it will hopefully be remedied in the future but what we have right now is only a work in progress.

Back on topic though, implementing some of these suggestions would just take time away from fixing things. I like the idea of a script ui but in reality just having a way to reload the scripts in-game would be a huge leap forward.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

This would only work if we abstracted weapon parameters... instead of doing X damage we would do X damage on a scale of minimum allowed to max allowed and the scale itself can be changed by server.

The problem is that when a weapon is fired, the server draws a curved path and the client draw a curved path, look at the path like a graph, with values for each increment of time and lines drawn in between. When projectiles have a faster speed the server and client path will become very VERY choppy due to only having 4 or 3 time intervals to draw lines between.

The choppy curve differs greatly from each other, compounding some other problems that are otherwise neggligable and thus, the server does lag correction on the differences in paths thinking its caused by lag and tadaaaa

cannon shells are all wrong.

You can probably fix it by either messing with the time scale the cannon shells are kept on, or change lag correction.