Playtesting Event #1

Discussion in 'Archive' started by knighttemplar, May 2, 2008.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Please fix the ability to build walls over the ladder in urbanchaos.. It makes the map way too linear and shitty when your own team walls off your only way to get behind the enemy.. Or your only route that doesn't get you lazerd or sniped.

edit: just read this

Couldn't agree more.

2. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

every mod survives because of its replay value and/or custom map influx.

hell, a few years ago i would've stopped playing cs after a few months if there were no more new maps constantly being made (no i'm not counting surf maps), even though the game is very addictive. Now empires is also addictive but there's a lot of time invested in the start of a map (first 15 mins) so people don't want to constantly run in the same direction doing the same stuff every 2-3 hrs (end of a mapcycle).

i think we would all benefit from more playable maps that look half-decent at least. And if they map creators arent willing to maintain them and update them then they should simply hand then over to the dev team and we can maintain and fix them with the source files when problems occur.

i dont mind fixing someone else's map, and i'm sure its happened enough times before.

3. Reef

Reef Member

bitchslap: why don't You join the dev team then?

Empires needs YOU! <finger pointing at the screen> PM Dizzy for details. We need mappers, specially those who wouldn't mind fixing official maps.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

We could always have a bunch of maps included with the official install as "community maps" or "popular maps", that don't have to be looked after as officials but which are included with the install to add variety. There's nothing wrong with adding fan-made content to the official package ^^

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

not enough free time to add much help. its mostly knowledge and willingness to learn. if things change, i'll consider it. i do plan on learning modelling so i can make my own beastly aircraft. So if i ever get a few done, they are free for use for empires.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

If that's the case i'll withdraw straight away, since i won't be spending as much time on it as i used to. I have no idea how things happen internally, and i assumed that maps like mvalley and slaughtered that were made by people from the community would end up with the official mod mappers. I always thought making a map official just meant that the mod mappers had permission to use it and to change it in any way they liked.

But who knows, maybe later. Once i have job (read: once i'm free of those fucking exams) i might have a more ... simple schedule.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I didn't state it correctly: when map gets official it's maintained by mappers from the team or the original mapper. I didn't say that maintaining by other mappers is bad.
    Maybe emp_arid is a good map: I didn't look at it. If dizzyone or someone more experienced accepts it then map is fine (and can be added to official maps).

8. Caelo

Caelo Member

new devs = new rules.. :/

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

That's how things flow forward. ;)

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Some of the original designers of official maps have disappeared over time, so when a map needs to be changed, the designer that works on it will no doubt change a few things he didn't like.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

An update: EDIT: link taken down, new link with a final version will be posted soon.

Fixed:
    1) It's possible to place a building partially on the landing platform
    2) The platform texture is very dark, and the platform surrounding brushes texture looks too much like the terrain
    3) I have to finish improving the dynamic entities to avoid having wrong shadows (putting them closer to the ground)
    4) C4: Big tree floating above the ground
    5) Tunnel entrances can be blocked ==> add nobuild brushes
    6) BE base defense SW: health box entirely in concrete wall
    7) Skybox visible through displacements when they do not got drawn because of ... that z thingy
    8) Red NF tower roofs too ... cartoony ==> more militairy look
    9) NF base entrances: something should block the entrances so people know they drive through it + add in skybox a reason why there are entrances
    10) Placing walls on terrain above the tunnels makes the walls stick through the tunnel ceilings when not build ==> add nobuild above tunnels
    11) Vehicles can get stuck in the middle of the vehicle bridge ==> add metal bar in middle
    12) Skybox base ground texture is dark and glitchy
    13) Ladders of BE towers don't work (intentionally)
    14) Complex ladders don't work (center complex ladders do work)
    16) Mines that restrict access to the NE hill can be reached with cv, ending the map at once
    17) Infantry can slip through the minefield by staying close to the edges
    18) copy paste from melee: The tunnel doors and centre flag are confusing, you need signs to say how/where switches are.
    Extra: add more signs for the mines

19) copy paste from KT: The ladders are really hard to work, specifically that square metal piece right above the ladder. Move that down a meter and put it flush against the far wall, just like the ladders in middle. Those middle ladders are pure genius, they're so easy to go up and down (once the glitching is fixed)
    20) copy paste from Doggeti: You forgot to list the place in B3 (i think) where I got stuck in between some cliff rocks.
    21) To align the wall textures between map and skybox, adjust the scale of the textures in the map to a value that can be divided by 16
    22) Improve displacements in 3d skybox

Not fixed:
    15) Smoke from res spots should stop after placing refs and return after destroying the refs(first attempt failed)

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Sweet! Who's up for playing this game this week?

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

were the res nodes fixed?

14. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I made an ugly, simple map in the past with resource nodes on it.

http://rebootilicious.rbcorner.com/emp_temp/emp_kingofthehill_test.rar

I think this copy has the good working ones, but I'm not 100% sure. See what you can learn from it.

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

Thanks, i'll take a look when i get home.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Last (hopefully final) version:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/116294924/emp_arid_rc3.rar

Fixed:
    - Smoke from res spots should stop after placing refs and return after destroying the refs
    - Some decals from walls were being put in the ground
    - Something else but i forgot

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well people have suggested lots of other hosting sites before.
    Not one of them didn't mention at some point that he couldn't upload or download something or that the server seemed to be down.

I think Blight suggested something to me several weeks ago, but the same day he said he was having problems.
    I even think you had a problem with a hosting site right after you suggested it to me if i remember correctly.

The only problem i have with rapidshare is that i can only download 1 file at once. But it's only one file that i put online, and only the people who put it on a server have to manually download it, so i think i'll just stay with rapidshare. It never failed me once, and it has speeds up to 1mBps (8 mbps), which is almost the limit of my connection anyway.

But thanks for the effort!

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Rapidshare is essentially 1 download a day if your a free user. Thats why it fails.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

I can download once every 90 minutes and i'm a free user, and that's not a problem for me at all.

Not in million years would i be able to make maps, compile them and put them online in less then 90 minutes, so .. no problem for me.

And to those who download them ... well the ones that don't like rapidshare won't have used it so they can still download immediately.

But there's no point in discussing this, since everyone always has their own reasons, and most of them are valid. People just use other parameters to value the quality of something.