Playtesting Event #1

Discussion in 'Archive' started by knighttemplar, May 2, 2008.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Here's our first opportunity to playtest for this new version of Empires. For the 2.2 release we're going to (hopefully) include Silk's map emp_Arid (screens here http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=5444). To do that the map needs a bit of work, so we're going to playtest it. Silk's going to work on the map this week and give us a new version to playtest for next Friday. We will be playtesting in the normal PUG time of Friday, May 9th at 7:00GMT

That's
    FRIDAY, MAY 9th AT 7:00GMT

66.225.198.166:27015

http://www.filedropper.com/emparidrc3

I'm not sure what server we'll go on, but it will be a 2.12 server, so check back at this post and hopefully I'll have the IP here (if anyone wants to donate their server for the day let me know), and I'll also hopefully have a link to the map here too.

One thing I would like to do is to have set teams, so that people have an ability to think about the map and it's strategy. This is your first chance to contribute to the new Empires, so I hope all of you can take it up.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Keep this thread, not sure how I double posted that one.

edit || thanks Avair, I added some info. We're just testing the map for this one, and there will be a new version by the test date.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  3. Silk

Silk Mapper

Since we'll be playing in 2.12, it's more then a simple map test. Any empires bug we'll find is one more that can be fixed before release.

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

...did you read that right Silk? Are there many bugs in 2.12 that aren't addressed already, or in 2.2?

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

Oh you're right, i read that wrong. Don't know why though.
    Well then, map testing it is :)

I did set everything up for the orange box version and compiled the map. It works for 2.2 as well, so it can played in both empires versions. In fact, with the OB version 2 problems got fixed automaticly, and only 1 problem was added. Hooray !

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Some issues have arisen, and we might be testing some 2.2 bug fixes as well as the map.

Mush has donated their server to the event, so if we stick with 2.1 we'll be there, and if we go with 2.2 well I don't know where we'll go.

Info to follow?

7. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think the "Official Empires Test server" is still up and running which is hosted by Krenzo's server. That has 2.2 installed.

Pretty obvious?

Unless he hasn't taken it down which I doubt.

8. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I'll help to test but if it is going to be 2.2 I need to know where to get it.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

There are two topics a little further down the list, one with 2.2 RC1 and another with 2.2 RC2

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

There should be new versions of crossroads and slaughtered by then. :)

11. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

mad could donate our 24 slot server for 2.2 if no one else will offer up one.
    just need to be emailed or msgd on steam 'tuhnin' with info and what i up-to-date RC u want loaded for the event.

keep me posted. its free to use for the betterment of the mod.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Any update on what we'll be playing? 2.12 or 2.2 ?

Edit:
    2.1 version: http://rapidshare.com/files/113552282/emp_arid_rc3.rar
    2.2 version: http://rapidshare.com/files/113554175/emp_arid_rc3_OB.rar

The 2.2 version is without hdr, 2.1 version is with hdr.

I wasn't able to do everything i wanted to do, but it's almost 1 am and i have to get up early tomorrow so it's the best i could come up with.

I haven't finished improving all dynamic entities yet (shadows), but it's the next thing i'll do.
    I really had no time to fully test both maps, but should something be wrong i wouldn't have the time to fix it before this evening anyway. :)

Gameplaywise everything should work though.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Alternate (easier) download for the map!

I guess we're waiting on a patch from Mootant. If you don't see anything from him tomorrow then we should make it 2.1. BS, what kind of timeframe do you need for setting up the server?

14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I've talked to BS, hopefully things can be set up there on time. I'll be a little late as I get off of work right at 2 (trying to go in a little early, we'll see)

Objectives

Make sure Arid is good enough to be an Official map.

What this means and how to get there
    Official status means no traps to get caught in, no broken brushes, good textures throughout, enough room to manoeuvrer all different vehicles.

It has also got to be playable, so if you see something which could be improved (larger/smaller doors or rooms, more/less cover etc) make sure to take a screen shot and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty with MS paint!

Other mappers I'm sure you'll have specific ideas and opinions for Silk so please help us out, your expertise is needed.

This is your first opportunity to help get 2.2 ready and out the door. A lot of the community is getting anxious and worried about development. Helping out as testers will make Empires better and give you more noobs to kill in your abs/bio engine/HEMG heavy, so do it!

15. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Don't forget to check out the aesthetics and gameplay value of the map:
    - Does it have pieces that look weird or not in place
    - Are there good locations to expand to
    - ref placement and whether they all work
    - do all places in the map have a function or do they detract from gameplay
    - getting stuck at places
    - Where are the chokepoints and whether those places have a good design to have the important battles at.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Especially on the skybox edge there's lots of stuff that could look better, but which the source engine doesn't allow for. If those are a problem there's not much i can do about it and you'll have to go search for another map.

Stuff in the map itself can be tweaked to look better.
    Main problem was the southwest corner and norteast corner. sw corner looks better but isn't optimal, and i restricted access to the northeast corner. I did that last thing in a hurry to get something done before testing so it isn't perfect either.

If some new stuff makes the map look bad ... it's easy enough to remove those, but check rc2 to see why i changed it and thank about what i could do about it instead.

Apart from that: enjoy the map :)

17. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

k setting up the 2.1 one (first link), minor problem is that everyone needs to pre-install this map before joining up as it does NOT have fully functioning map downlads. you've been warned. see you guys there.

EDIT: that download link verified? my crc in rar is not working.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

I just downloaded the rar from that link. Everything works for me.

19. Melee

Melee Member

Tried downloading but i hate rapidshare, keeps going back to access code.
    what does it mean enter 4 letters with a pussy?????????

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Only 4 of the letters have the (exact) image of that cat in it.