Plasma mg nerf?

Discussion in 'General' started by NobleDragon, Jul 18, 2006.

?

What should be done about the Plasma MG?

1. Nerf it

25.9%
  2. Leave as is

37.0%
  3. Dont care

18.5%
  4. Should be re-evaluated balance wise

18.5%
  1. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

I just got out of a game where i discovered the awsomeness/lameness (depending on which end of the stick your on) of the Plasma MG. It was just me and one other person screwing around with the reasearch trees. Heavy vs heavy tank. lets just say that i got my ass handed to me within 2-3 seconds and i had coolent engine and better cooling engy skill. IMHO, the PMG fires way too fast and casues far too much heat to be balanced. I thought it had a Rof similar to the Uranium MG/.50 cal guns not the chainguns. Personaly, i think this screams NERF (and no, not cause someone owned my ass with it) and should be addressed, but i would like to hear your thoughts on the matter

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  2. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I voted leave it as is as I need to see this for myself(again) to evaluate it...

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I was always unsure if the damage stacked, the heat damage that is. If so, the MG just has to get around 30 shots on the opposite tank (depending on what the armour, engine, skills and time frame of the attack is). The gun also does 10 damage for each shot as well.

That doesn't seem terribly over-powered to me, though I expect Dizzy to tell us exactly everything about these weapons, how long they take to research, what they counter and what counters them and basically everything else.

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Plasma MG isn't used to destroy armor or hull. It's used to overheat the enemy then you can go near him and finish with 5-10 shells from railgun. IMHO plasma MG ROF is too high. Other way to nerf is too lower it's accuracy. Attacker with good ping and plasma mg can start to fire at you from 500 m and the only thing that you can do is to try to slowly fall back or die. :P We can also nerf it by giving higher heat output to attacker.

5. Ganks

Ganks Banned

Nerf is such a deadly word and equally deadly in meaning. Perhaps a simple rebalance would be more suitable.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Lol knight, you think too high of me.

But altho I can understand how plasma mg may seem too strong (Ive had some very annoying encounters with it aswell), its not completely impossible to kill a heavy tank that has it, you just need to get a tank that only takes a few shots too kill the heavy tank, hiding behind walls or whatever and taking biodiesel or coolant to be able to drive or atleast shoot once in a while. my favourite tank is a med tank with HE and a bio warhead and if the terrain is in your favour youll have a nasty battle but not completely impossible to kill a heavy tank with it, or an apc. When they come in bunches and one of em has plasma mg, all you can do is kill that tank first or youll lose. It does need them to get into physics and heated materials, while you could have gotten heavy caliber machine gun and mounted a AP MG (depleted uranium) on your heavy tank, with that you can get trough his armour on one side with some luck before you overheat and then try and finish off his hull with bio or missiles (that dont use up too much heat) or even railgun. Some tanks you just want to avoid tho, like a heavy tank with nuke and plasma mg X)

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Or just a massive price increase.

8. Ganks

Ganks Banned

true that

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Try it before you by it... :D I'll go to play right now just to check this thing out.

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The Plasma is just too deadly right now... There isn't any logical counter to it, every time I play it the only counter to plasma is plasma... and after that its just a game to see who aims better and who will stall first...

I suggest that the plasma be changed in this way:

1) Decrease the plasma heat damage on the enemy significantly
    2) Make slight short burn damage on the enemy (Be it a tank or infantry)
    3) Increase its heat output on the firing tank

11. Ganks

Ganks Banned

yeah its gonna be a problem if the entire team is in a tank...

...if you have teamwork and everyone isnt mindlessly attacking...

12. dizzyone

How can plasma be killer? It doesnt actually kill anything ^^

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Exactly thats what im saying, add damage to it, reduce its "Heat Spam" and make it a more rounded MG with an advantage of slightly overheating the enemy... as well as burning anything for a short period of time.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

On maps like mvalley terrain is most in favor of plasma.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

No, I say, keep its speciality, but make it take up three spots, and make it way a ton. More weight = less armour and less cannon power. Or more heat from a an engine

16. dizzyone

- sorry i edited your post mootant, wrong button, wont happen again, need to watch these damn buttons :o
    its back to how it was, excuse me

anyway i replied to you but I dont feel like typing it again lol, so just ignore me while I hide in shame

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Maybe instead of Super Moderator, you could be clumsy moderator for a while or something, as an act of Penance.

18. dizzyone

rofl

you like to kick me while im down dont you ^^

anyway to stay a bit ontopic,
    @ mootant. altho you're right ofc that the plasma mg works very well long range and in open fields, mvalley has lots of routes to attack from, its very possible to flank tanks and take em from the back by surprise, not everything has to happen on the hills (center, bases, north). But on the other hand the water is very tricky for tanks and holding the center gives you a nice view on the bridges, but theres still 5 ways for tanks to get on the center and they can always hide behind the infantry only hills

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  19. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

30? Try 3 or less. I was overheated as soon as he had line of sight on me. oh and we were on badlands (i think thats what its called, small map with fog and a mesa like thing in the center with two res points) and he had me overheated as soon as i rounded a wall or something.

20. dizzyone

depending on the armor I believe its around 8 - 12 shots, dont quote me on that tho. But you will need to keep shooting to prevent them from shooting back, maybe could use a nerf, but im not for it since it doesnt kill a tank and id be more afraid of HE bullets, Bio bullets and AP MG on a heavy tank