Permanent hull damage

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Aug 27, 2009.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Directly quoted from another thread, I'm posting this here because it didn't fit in the discussion it came in. Anyway, I would like to know what's fundamentally flawed with my latest idea, so please rip it to shreds.

Thank you. :s

2. Icely

Icely Member

An interesting effect, if the decrease to the armour repair rate was fairly low, would be you would get tanks back into battle quicker. Actually I'd rather, as an engineer, just repair the armour on a tank and leave the hull.

The biggest difference I really see though is that there would be a strong incentive to pull a tank back before the armour goes. There is also a possibility of players abandoning heavily damaged tanks. Although that happens a little already at least tanks abandoned in safe areas tend to be picked up by someone else and repaired while those in the battlefield get destroyed.

3. Empty

Empty Member

I like playing "Tank Restoration Team" when I find a derelict tank.

4. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

I think it's a good idea. Thumbs up for removing an engineers capability to repair the hull, only letting him fix the plating and thus making repair pads more important as well.

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

No. Don't like it.
    There is often no place for a repair pad. So if you want to keep your tank alive for a long time you mostly have to drive to main base and bug commander to place a repair pad.

Result will be:
    New players will waste tanks much faster.
    The rest will waste time by driving back to crowded repair pads.

6. Empty

Empty Member

Repair bays should fix things faster than engineers anyway.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You could slow it down a bit more, or perhaps just make repair upgrade not have an effect on tanks, I mean it does repair armor a bit fast at the moment as well.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, like 6 plates in 10 seconds.

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

The point is that if you want to keep your tank alive long, you have to be skilled enough to avoid taking hull damage. NOT for there to be long repair pad lines. The only time the hull of a tank would need to be repaired is when it is greatly damaged. Even then, most would just re-enter the battle with their armor patched up. If most of your tanks are halfway across the map being repaired, then the other team has out skilled you.

In other words, your team would consist of bloody cowards if such a pathetic situation happened. :pathetic:

My suggestion would force those who want to claim victory to face the enemy like MEN! :rage:

.....and it would make the game more balanced. :unsure:

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

maybe have only repair bays heal hull damage, and speed up their armor repair or make it repair all sides of armor at the same time.

I like it ^_^

11. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I'm glad you like it, but repairing all armor sides at once? If vehicle repair worked like that, then people would use tanks as walls. You could stand on the opposite side from where the tank was being fired at and heal the damage with no danger to yourself.

12. Icely

Icely Member

The noun of that sentence is the repair pad, not an engineer. Although tank walls do sound like ridiculous fun.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  13. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

why do all suggestions have to make the game harder and less enjoyable?

14. Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta Banned

Making a multiplaayer game harder usually means making the game easier for the opponent and viceversa

15. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

There needs to be something in place to stop one tank for surviving an hour but this is not the method.
    All it would do is make people retreat even faster.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I suggest making this ability unique to a specific weapon.

And I dislike the idea of the weapon simply making all the damage it does to the hull non-repairable -- that makes repairing too limited in many situations.

Instead, a more balanced solution would be to have some of the damage this new weapon does be unrepairable without a repair pad (both to armor and to hull.) Say, 10% or 20% or something -- when an engineer examines the tank with their tool out, they should see this portion of the damage meter burned out in red or whatever so they know. This way, repair still helps you, but you will have to go back to a pad eventually.

Perhaps it could work on buildings, too? Each hit lowers the building's max HP by using some percentage of the damage done to turn part of their health meter into unrepairable red. For buildings, I would have the 'red area' of their health meter slowly recover over time, allowing them to be repaired eventually. This would make taking down raxes less frustrating.

Perhaps it could also repair over time for tanks. This would let players at least survive without a repair pad, while still nerfing instant-repairs.

Also, while it might be obvious, it has to be said: No matter how it works, this should not affect the comm.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  17. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

That makes sense....

Would this work with the grenadier's rpg? :confused:

I would be inclined to think so. This way most game mechanics would continue the way they are now, but grens would have a useful advantage. And I like the regenerating over time, that way no frustrations with repair pads.

18. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

I am thinking of permanent overall damage to vehicles, chance based, much like a critical hit.

Give weapons a small chance to basically reduce the maximum armor you can repair in the field... maybe a 1% chance on basic cannons and 3% on DU MGs... you get the idea. Then give the grenadier RPGs about 25% chance to do this and I would love to see how this would change the current gameplay.

If you're lucky, you never recieve a critical hit but if you're really unlucky, your tank might be in for a repair pad pretty quick.

This will gradually weaken tanks that have been exposed to combat for extremely long times without retreating properly and will also boost the grenadiers effectiveness against vehicles without making them too powerful against buildings. Furthermore, the critical chance on a weapon system might be used to further tweak overall balance or giving some weapon systems a nice sideeffect (more damage or more critical chance?).

I don't see any real downside to this. It won't rape the gameplay but it will introduce more wear to vehicles and will also make tank combat more interesting. Nonstop field repairs will be made less effective but not impossible.

19. Mashav

Mashav Member

1. The amount gren weapons do to separate things can be changed easily. There's no need to worry about unbalancing against different things.
    2. Its already possible to change the effectiveness of repairing on vehicles

20. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

But this does not address making repair pads a viable asset. (while at the same time introduce a factor that punishes tanks for being in the field forever without repairing properly)