People who ask for ammo at the very start of a map.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Aquillion, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Is it just me, or is this a horrible thing to do? As soon as a map starts, I'm always immediately hitting the ground running towards whatever we have to cap... and it feels like there's always a third of my team standing behind me yelling HAY STOP DROP AMMOZ!

Obviously it doesn't take long for me to drop an ammo box... but the people who huddle around it right after the map starts maxing out all their ammoz before they charge are annoying. Why aren't they running frantically towards someplace that matters? It doesn't make a difference if you have as much ammunition if you can carry if you're not there to cover the engineers trying to set up the forward rax; while you're wasting time at that box, the enemy is rushing into position to kill you when you arrive. Then their engineer will drop a box and they'll reload while rightfully taunting your corpse.

If you're doing what you should be in the first few minutes of the game, there will be an engineer wherever you arrive to drop you an ammo box. (And if you're a grenadier with some ever-so-brilliant plan to rocket-snipe the enemy base, the ammo box up at the front will actually be better for you.)

If you really really feel desperate to carry as much ammo as possible from the instant the game starts, spawn as an engineer yourself, drop the box, then change classes. But, seriously, you'd be better off hitting the ground running, following an engineer, and counting on them to drop a box after you get where you're supposed to be. You may not start with max ammo, but you start with more than enough to last you until then.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The easy way out is to give everybody max ammo on first spawn, so they can get their bearings. That would be especially useful for when players join mid-game, and don't know where everything is yet.

3. Empty

Empty Member

The worst problem with this is when scouts on crossroads ask for ammo.

WHY!?

What kind of scout is
    A) Playing
    B) Playing, ON CROSSROADS
    C) Requiring ammo instantly
    D) PLAYING SCOUT ON CROSSROADS WTF

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I think it's good if one guy places an ammobox at start and everone only gets a little more primary ammo (but nothing else).
    If you meet the enemy somewhere you often have a problem with only 40 bullets of primary ammo and if you only take a little bit more, it takes about one or two seconds, which doesn't really matter.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I only want ammo at start as grenadier on some maps,
    and cause i choose speedupgrade Im usually faster
    than the average engi on start even with eating ze ammoz

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Where R Da Ammoz????

7. Androc

Androc Member

You take that back, some of my best scout games are on crossroads.

Besides, the SMG 2 chews through ammo like nobody's business.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I mean a scout with a scout rifle.
    Not an SMG2. That's reasonable [though an engineer would work better]

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'll never wait for ammo at map start, but if there's an ammobox i will grab one extra clip and nade as rifleman, or 2 extra mortars and 2 extra mines as grenadier.

Being 4 seconds later at some place with enough ammo to kill those that got there first has served me more than getting somewhere first to run out of ammo immediately.

Also being somewhere first is overrated. The best thing that can happen is the enemy being somewhere 4 seconds earlier with their comm placing buildings there. The few extra nades you picked up at base can easily destroy most if not all of their unbuild buildings, which is a big set back for them cause they probably haven't got that much money/income at start.

I would prefer one engineer of your team putting an ammobox at mapstart. Those who are going to attack the enemy head on can then take a little extra if they think they'll need it and those who don't just start running.
    Some engy going to build refs or a scout with scout rifle should obviously just move up immediately. A rifleman or grenadier going to the front might be running out of ammo soon though.

Of course this depends on the map. On slaughtered as NF it's important to get over the brigde before they have defenses for example, 4 seconds really can make a difference there. To take the middle in duststorm just relax and get some ammo. There's cover all around the center, and by the time they got to the middle to build a base you are already in the center on the top of the hills on your side of the map, but with a lot more ammo.

That's how i like to do it.
    Of course you can only do it this way if at least someone placed an ammobox, and if all your teammembers aren't sitting there pressing E untill they can't carry any more ammo, which is wasting time indeed.

10. Empty

Empty Member

And yet I've never seen NF rushing across the bridge early game...

People avoid the bridge like the plague, I build it sometimes just to spice the match up.

11. Whiskey Mike Delta

Whiskey Mike Delta Member

y 2 get ammoz?

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's were i go all the time. If me and some teammates are able to cap their tower that usually wins us the game right there.

13. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

No, then good riflemen and gren's can go solo at the beginning of the game, and the riflemen can keep shooting without engi support.

Teamwork is the problem, people usually don't work together in a 2 engis, 1 gren, 1 rifleman squad format.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Especially if you get someone with an ammo upgrade spawning. That's a lot of ammo. Especially if you APC rush early and just drop a fully loaded gren at the enemy CV.

15. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

Ah yes, I forgot about the easy ability to early rush the comm with 6 grens, 3 engis, and 2 scout sticky stuns. And don't forget if they all get ammo increase and full ammo at the beginning of the game, that's an apc full of rape.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Er, replace the scouts with more engineers and just use walls. And with the engineers there, they can just drop ammo at the scene... grens can kneel near it and re-arm while firing. Plus they get a bit more cover if the enemy manages to arrive.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Yes, just what grens need. Full ammo starting. I think the only thing that makes grens not completely overpowered is the limited ammo. Otherwise they are pretty damn hard to beat. Early mines can get you 20-25 points in maps like Money or Slaughtered where there are tight choke points you can mine up.

18. Empty

Empty Member

And the grens could get speed upg to just zip around mortaring and mining all the day.

19. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

Please don't mention a map as horrible as money...

20. Empty

Empty Member

Even the devs thought money was cut.