Optimizing 2.2 on your PC

Discussion in 'Support' started by bitchslap, Dec 16, 2008.

1. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

Ok, I'm no expert here but i've done a lot of reading and testing into settings for Empires. If you are one to love FPS over gfx, then this thread is for you.
    The command line parameters that can be added to any source game are long and varied, the most critical ones can give you substantial performace gains.
    Here's what i had in my desktop shortcut to 2.12 (yes all the settings will work in 2.2) These settings actually allow me to run 2.2 without getting 10 FPS. WOOT!

D:\Steam\steam.exe -gameidlaunch 9672256695522296023 -game "d:\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Empires" -heapsize 524288 -novideo +mat_bumpmap "0" +mat_specular "0" +mat_fastbump "1" +mat_fastspecular "1" -high -dxlevel 80 -w "1024" -h "768" -windowed

Explanation(s) :

-heapsize (amount of ram on yer pc divided by 2) forces windows to give that much mem to the game (i have 1gb in example)

-novideo (faster startup) doesnt play empires.avi

+mat_bumpmap "0" (disables bump mapping) FPS gain

+mat_specular "0" (see above)

+mat_fastbump "1" (see above)

+mat_fastspecular "1" (see above)

-high (makes game run in high priority mode) XP = works, Vista = ?

-dxlevel 80 (sets dxlevel to older versions, lots of #'s avail.) 80 is lowest that worked for me

-windowed (runs in a window) can help FPS sometimes mostly useful for testing settings

-w "1024" -h "768" (sets resolution of game) required if you use DXLEVEL param

There are also plenty of clientside cvars for helping out the 'load' on yer pc when ingame. I'll post those next.

2. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

you dont need the fastbump and fastspecular (which should actually be fastnobump and fastnospecular anyway) if you have mat_bumpmap and mat_specular set to 0.

3. Tuxu

Tuxu Member

I am waiting...

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

did you just post a comment about your own sig?

5. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

Thx for this. The game was completely unplayable before your tweaks.

-heapsize 524288 -novideo +mat_bumpmap "0" +mat_specular "0" -high -dxlevel 80 -w "1024" -h "768"

Well i have 3gb of ram so i used:
    -heapsize 1572864 -novideo +mat_bumpmap "0" +mat_specular "0" -high -dxlevel 80 -w "1024" -h "768"

where (3gb -> kilobytes) / 2 = 1572864.

O yea i checked and -high works in vista apparently. At least in vista ultimate 64 bit, because hl2.exe appears to be in high priority.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

found them on the wiki, so didnt bother cross-referencing that with my cfg files.

maybe one day...

7. flounder

flounder Member

Like hell that improves FPS

8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

@flounder, emphasis on SOMETIMES.