Optimize Maps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Fray, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Fray

Fray Member

I think there needs alot of optimization to the maps. I decompiled one of the maps district and there is no optimization except NODRAW on textures you dont see. Go to this page.

http://www.student.kun.nl/rvanhoorn/Optimization.htm

Also PlayerClips On walls 1 unit out. (also means displacements, to fix the.. walk through issue)

Hints work to! TRUST ME!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

whoa, I'm sure they never thought of something like optimizing!

3. sgman

sgman Member

they may have thought about it, but some of the maps do need to be optimized...like the duststorm(or whatever its called). when i paly that map everyone seems to jump around and the vehicles are like 1.0. that may be just me, but i have heard many people complain about it (i say take it off map cycle until its fixed.)

4. TheTerminator97

TheTerminator97 Member

this is one of the major things being worked on. Doobie is/has done it on his maps. But didn't warfle do district? i dunnoz. its up to the mappers to do this stuff.

5. Fray

Fray Member

Awesome.

Also i noticed the entity models for like barracks/radars cause the fps to go down to 20. When i look away I get 80.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I thought duke made district

7. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

It seems that the surfaces are double-sided. There are two times more polygons than necessary.

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

"Necessary" is a tricky term here. The developers decided that making them double-sided was the best way to prevent people from exploiting by looking through the models and seeing people on the other side. How much of an issue it would actually be is debatable.

9. Fray

Fray Member

Aren't Devs suppose to make it not possibly? But not ruining the gameplay for everyone

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

How do double-sided polygons on pretty low poly models ruin the gameplay for everyone?

11. Fray

Fray Member

Not talking directly about low poly count. Im talking about how many polys it has is ruining the gameplay. Thus it needs to be fixed.

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

as long as the map textures are nodrawed on both sides, i dont really see how a few non-optimized buildings will make it that bad.

13. Fray

Fray Member

Thats the issue.. Just because the sides you dont see are nodrawed doesent mean its optimized. You have to add Hint Brushes! So it cuts the leafs right. If your a mapper as well you should do this. http://www.student.kun.nl/rvanhoorn/Optimization.htm

Look at the vis leafs and hint section.

14. Nato

Nato Member

Erm... call me crazy but why not have at it and try to get permission to edit the map problems that you see and send em back to the devs to see what they think... Right now they are pretty dang busy and i am sure they would love more hands helping out.

15. Fray

Fray Member

I would if I had all the .vmf's. Sometimes decompiling isnt 100% accurate.

16. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I'd really like to see how you'd plant the hint brushes in a map like duststorm or isle. Most of those tricks aren't usable with Empires type of maps(lots of open ground and displacement surfaces).

17. Fray

Fray Member

Mm i wonder if they have fade dist of the models.. hmm

18. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

That we do, and is one of the only effective ways to optimize open maps like duststorm. I am always open to suggestion though, and im currently working on some of these issues. Hints are great and all, but very hard to use on open maps, and commanders high in the sky.

19. Fray

Fray Member

Cool :) Hope it works out! I just noticed though that district didnt have any hints

20. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

Yup, that map was a work in progress from release one, and i just decided to let the community have a run with it. The next version is better optimized and has alot of changes to the later half.