OMG i have 25fps in empires with 6600gt

Discussion in 'Support' started by speaker_system, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

hi i am new at this forums blahblahblah...

i started this post to say and extreme necesary bug fix

¡Some models are double faced! This goes down fps...

this need to be fixed!!! (when server has a lot of buildings can do the game inplayable for the extreme low fps)

sorry for my bad english :(

bye all!

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yes, we know. We're working on it.

3. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

thanks, i think this an extreme pryority fix

i have another question i have tried to make an map for empires mod but my map crashes and show this error (i'ts only a 3000x3000units test)

the error is:

excedded max vertex buffer (Or slightly similar) and next shows some numbers, call a programer to up vertex buffer size...

¿this a problem of source engine or is empires codding problem?

how to fix this, i can't make my custom map :_(

thanks for our help

bye!

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You have too many vertices in your map. You need to reduce them. It's a limitation of the HL2 engine.

5. Darg

Darg Member

speaker system are you using a lot of detailed displacement brushes? They chew up the vertex limit. Try reducing the amount of displacement brushes you are using. If you are using them for terrain then a good way of judging what is needed is to have about 1 polygon per metre squared of terrain area. This provides a smooth surface without breaking the vertex limit.

6. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Good to see experte have advice for you!
    And it seems that your main language is spanish?

7. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

yes, i am from spain xD 10points for you :P ;)

sorry if people can't understand my poor english level xD i never used english forums xD

mmm excesive vertices i can't believe this, i only used 5displacements with lvl2 power :/ (Light map 32)

my map idea is this... example:

[​IMG]

i can make this with 3dsmax and use models...
    ¿this will fix my problem?

thanks for our help!

bye!

PD:krenzo ¿i'ts to difficult add to empires mod a mp3 player? (its only a question ^-^)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Add the needed entities to your map, or the game will crash, check the wiki for more info: www.empiresmod.info

9. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

i added that entities :S

this is not the problem is a problem of the hl2 engine

bye!

10. Darg

Darg Member

Try compiling it (without the emp models of course) as a HL2DM or CS:S map and see if it works there. If it does then atleast we'll know it's an empires bug.

11. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

the map don't works in HL2, HL2DM and nothing, the map crashes with that bug...

is not an empires problem is the hl2 engine

bye!

EDIT: i have a idea:

¿its possible to make the map using a giant model? (land) i think is not possible for comander build buildings in models or the comm can build thinks in the models?
    using a giant model can be good, uses low polys and its more easy to load... and don't make errors and can reduce a lot the size of the .BSP what you think about this idea?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  12. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

You would lose all the visibility optimizations that way and it would be extremely sluggish.

13. Chahk

Chahk Member

Talk about living in a bad neighborhood. These guys san probably spit at eachother from their own barracks :)

14. speaker_system

speaker_system Member

mmm... i can make some things with a model (for example the precipice) and use normal displacements for the land :/ this will not affect detail and does possible the using of LOD

bye all!

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Seeing as how 6600GTs are getting to be old technology (I have one), I think it's reasonable that a game with a necessarily high poly count (yes, it's NECESSARY. You're inside the building, so it's got double-sided polygons. Otherwise it'd look pretty crappy.) might be a bit slow. It is possible to reduce the poly count some, which I hope will happen.

16. zadarblack

zadarblack Member

nah its not really thats the game is too heavy

i think its more a problem in the coding of the grafic ect

Cod2 by example have much more heavy grafic still i get lots better performance than on empire

every other hl2 mod i tryed give me at least 3 time more fps so its a problem in coding

17. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

My first question: do you know what showbudget is?

18. Darg

Darg Member

Actually double sided textures are not necessary but I heard that when multiple textures are used on the one model the source engine automatically sets them to double sided. There is no need to have them in the game. Unless you noclip inside the model then you won't notice the difference.

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Uhm.

I think you're missing something here.

You really are missing something big.

Mods like Empires, CS, or NS don't change all that much code. What do they change? The rules of the game. Not the renderer. Not how graphics are managed or handled. Not how sound is done. Very occasionally a mod-maker will need to "hack" other parts of the game to get something to behave exactly how he wants it, but that happens rarely. Again, the majority of the changes, indeed ALL of the changes, are to the rules of the game.

One thing you need to realize is that Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, and many other Source mods use much smaller, simpler maps than Empires uses. The graphics coding is the same between all these games. What's different are the actual items being rendered, and that's where the problem lies. It's not Krenzo's fault at all. If CS had giant NF Barrackses lying about, CS would have a bad frame rate, too.

20. HornyRabbit

HornyRabbit Member

I think You heard it from me and im starting to think i have misread or misunderstood something.
    I was trying out stuff with the optimized barracks yesterday and modified .vmt files of the textures so that:
    "$nocull" 1
    Add this line if you want your texture to be visible from both sides. This is only applicable for flat objects like glass or wire fences.

Was changed to zero and voil'a I had a barracks with one sided polygons,
    this didnt however drop polycount of the model but I'd expect it to perform better.
    Problem is that i think there's a reason why these textures had been set to be
    double-sided (ie. some model needs to have double-sided texture and now is transparent on other side)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.