Obama's Nobel

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zealoth, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Dr. Turtle

Dr. Turtle Member

I <3 Obama :D

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

red and green seems intertwined and unseperatable

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

i like my dad but i could find a few reasons why i don't think he should be given the nobel peace prize.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

approving of obama isnt about liking the guy, its about thinking he did a good job i think

5. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

he fot it because he changed the way arabs are treated during the war, and changed ammericas image quickly, and as more of a precursor to what he can do, if he survives

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Giving people awards for what you expect they MIGHT do is retarded. He doesn't deserve it.

/thread.

7. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Well, okay, so maybe he HASN'T done anything. Not yet, anyway: he's about to fix the economy (any day now...), and diplomacy seems to be the U.S.'s new policy.

EPIC WIN.

-Serious Democrat, not old enough to vote yet

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I'd agree there, but consider what he's done as a candidate, he won, and in so doing he has done wonders to make people like america again. He's about as polarised from bush as it's possible to be and that alone has doubtless made people the world over breathe a sigh of relief.

No it probably wasn't selfless, no it probably wasn't all that difficult, yes he got to be the president which you might say is reward enough, but surely that's rather silly, if someone has done something helpful towards peace in general I don't think the peace prize comittee should say 'you've been rewarded enough so you don't get the peace prize'. Basically I think he is a victim of circumstance, he followed a president that everyone hated and who handled some pretty crap events pretty badly (although hindsight is the most desirable superpower) and he is exceptionally charismatic which only amplifies the contrast. Just because fortune and nature have conspired to produce the results he gets doesn't mean that he hasn't been a lot of help simply by existing at this time and in this place. Basically I don't think that one of the criteria for the peace prize is or should be 'what you did has to be really difficult for you to do otherwise it doesn't count'.

I realise there is a fairly visceral reaction to someone being given the peace prize simply for existing but it makes logical sense to me. You could argue that it's everyone who voted for him and everyone involved in his campaign and george bush for providing the contrast and the state of the world which deserves the prize, but it's hard to give it to all of them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009