noob friendly research tree (hope fully)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, May 25, 2010.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I like your tree, I just don't think the researches make sense - if you had multiple start points, you wouldn't have to unlock a new engine/armour and then unlock more later...so you don't end up getting redundant technologies...and then the stuff with grenades et al...ahhh...

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I don't understand why a few things don't change. Upgraded homing/guided can be a 3-slot weapon quite easy. That would make some real 3-slot missiles.

Making HE/Plasma give a 1-slot cannon would be also fine.

For a 3-slot cannon, I still don't like the idea of burst cannons. While they are quite funny, I feel like they already have the rail gun to compare with. Adding an anti-railgun with low fire rate and high damage is a good idea.

Considering no one ever seems to want to change the tree, the first two suggestions are best.

3. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

well this allows the balancers to make certain armors and weapon stronger based on proxy to the start. finally we don't have to focus on different but equal.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

What is wrong with different but equal? The entire factions seem to be based on the different but equal, and it tends to make a game stick out a lot more. Isn't the whole different but equal make some of the best games the best?

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

but when it comes to research on a tree. and different chassis your argument doesn't even apply.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

There's very little wrong with the current tree. If and when script manifest gets here, I'll fix it up and show you how little needs changing to make it decent.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You already can, just put things deep inside a tree that are better than the ones at the start, that isn't a feature of any particular research structure, any sort of prerequisite based research can do that.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

They could work - a splash cannon 1-slot version? The problem I always see with 1-slot weapons is they have to be easily unlockable so they can see some use before meds/heavies. I mean, it's ok for NF because they have LT's, but other than them...you won't really want to drive around in a AFV when you have meds available.

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The problem with adding a 1-slot cannon that is useful for the AFVs to use... it is rather simple. The research time and cost would have to be so damn low that it is worth delaying med/heavy tanks. However, light tanks would benefit that much more. I know that you can have separate research, but I would rather not have the tree be separated.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, really not sure about 1-slot variants. I mean it makes sense to have a few, but unless we have them unlocked on the way to something else (like if you unlock chemistry say or improved det compounds, you get a bunch of chem related 1-slot weapons), otherwise it just becomes cumbersome and you end up buffing the 1-slots into mkII standards.

11. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

guys try organizing your thoughts on weapons and research into a time line. It's helps.

12. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

What the hell does this mean?

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

He means what weapons you'd get first via research and which ones you'd get later.

Which is kinda what we were doing, nvm tho.

14. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Bumped for more Discussion.
    Lets get some fresh new minds looking this over.