Nightly Playtests - Monday - Friday (13th - 17th Aug) 20:00 BST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Ok, so we're going to start our nightly playtest schedule. I won't be at every one but I'll try to make sure the server is up. I guess the first test will have 10-15 people in it, but hopefully we can get +5 people per test so that when we go for a pug on Saturday, we're at enough players to play proper rounds. You can use SVN or Steam content, but I don't expect a great number of changes from this point onwards with regard to code, unless we hit a major bug. Just a couple of outstanding issues that should be fixed over the course of the week, with regard to a GUI pane and seismics not hurting map buildables enough. However, do expect regular script, particle and map changes day by day.

The server details are, as always, epic-empires.co.uk:27051

Please, get the word out. The more testing we do, the sooner we can send these depots out. If we can get a lot more players involved then we may even end up with these tests turning into nightly pugs, which could be really enjoyable before the main release.

If anyone wants the rcon password to the server, and information on how to admin using only rcon, then send me a message over steam or a PM over the forums.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

3. Trickster

Same time Tuesday. See you all there. Thanks for showing up (those who bothered).

4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I was busy with RL, I'll try next time.

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I'll try to get on tomorrow night but it will probably be after 9 BST if yous are still playing

6. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

Mondays mostly don't work for me timewise, rest of week should be ok.

7. Trickster

This test was better attendancewise. Have a few changes that need to be made before the next test.

-60% damage Seismic
    -75% DU
    Still some message about autobalance when joining sometimes.
    Crashes from Quetzacotl and Blizzerd, see crashdumps.
    Commander targetting seems to prefer dead players (which can't be targeted).

The damage nerfs are vs map buildables. They can be changed using a cvar but we ideally need to get the default rate perfect.

Same time tomorrow, let's try and get more people. Spam your friends, give out access, and let's get this shit built up. If we can get an extra 4-5 people per night, then by Friday we should be playing full Empires rounds like a regular match.

8. LordDz_2

43 seconds remaining, I'm omw!

9. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Crash after exiting comm, similar to Lamer's situation, on Crossroads, tuesday's test.

-- GetPredDescMap()

Attached Files:

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

my crash was also on xroads

11. LordDz_2

So let's see:
    *Dead people can still be targeted by targets.
    *Targets seem a bit random, shouldn't they target the person closest to the one you're giving the target?
    *Could not use the calculator at one point, it had full ammo but could not use it.

Otherwise, good job. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  12. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Member

Two crashes on xroad while building 1) a rax 2) a vf (I was the comm but hopped out to build). The curious thing is that they occured simultaneously to Blizzerds crashes, so I assume it's not some "individual" problem of my code-copy/system.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69008971/hl2_4104_crash_2012_8_14T19_51_27C0.mdmp -- GetPredDescMap()

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69008971/hl2_4104_crash_2012_8_14T19_55_11C0.mdmp -- GetPredDescMap()

Also: I dled the gcfs (this time really) half an hour before the test, and the autobalance bug happened again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

All of these crashdumps point to the following code:

physics.cpp, method CCollisionEvent::ShouldCollide
    c_baseentity.cpp, method C_BaseEntity::GetClassname
    It's odd that this is suddenly causing issues. Perhaps it's related to going back to hard collision?

15. LordDz_2

Perhaps the p1entity is null or something like that?
    Also, it's a print function? You could use the power of out commenting...

16. Beerdude26

It's checked if it's null right before that code is executed. I haven't had the chance to dig deeper yet, but it's strange that this quite old code is suddenly throwing fits.

EDIT: MOOtant seems to have added this code back in June 2011, probably as part of some bug hunting. Perhaps it's fine if we remove it, but it is still strange that it's suddenly causing issues

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  17. Trickster

Well it might not be suddenly, we never played properly on this version where we regularly respawned and shit until now, so it could have been there the entire time.

18. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

The entity pointer should be valid, otherwise the GetClassname() Method wouldn't have been called (inside which the crash happens) - also the entity pointer should be on the stack (as the hidden 'this' parameter for GetClassname() ) which could give a hint about which entity caused it.

Does the crash happen after calling into GetPredDescMap() ? Is the method possibly overridden in the entity class and/or does weird stuff for this specific entity ?

19. Beerdude26

GetPredDescMap() is generated inside a macro, thankfully it's not too complex:

predictable_entity.h
    The entity pointer is indeed on the stack, but it doesn't tell me anything useful. EDIT: m_PredMap is NULL in the minidump, although I can't immediately see why (p.s. I'm rubbish at debugging stuff like this)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  20. yusundur

yusundur Member