NF long (beautiful) mine animation

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Private Sandbag, May 13, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

here's a solution that allows you to keep the long beautiful animation while allowing players to place mines at the normal rate.

when you pull your mines, as you usually do, the animation plays. cool. after the part in the animation when the person has pulled the cord, then you allow the person the throw the mine down. so you can do this half way through the animation.

if however, instead, you just get your mine out and don't place it, you get to view the whole animation. lovely.

it also makes sense, as there's no reason that you can't place a mine if you are meerly waiting for it's feet to extend, and so no more yelling at the screen while you wait for this to happen.

2. zimm

zimm Member

very good suggestion!
    but i'm not sure if it's possible to keep the animation playing while the mine has been placed on the ground?

3. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

wouldn't matter by that point, it is just a static object once it is placed.

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

That probably is best; The weapon animation is just you pulling the cord; and then the world model animation is the mine extending its legs...

We get the best of both worlds! :D

And that way, we can tell appart the mines

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Just a thought for the BE mines, four red flashy LEDs, which spin round the mine after a button his pressed.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

golden eye mines? lol

7. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

indeed.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Sandbag just made the best suggestion yet, i think.

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

I would like to see a difference in mines..
    My suggestion is:
    BE mines: fast to place, low damage, low splash (area of effect, whatever), very strong against vehicles (not so strong against infantry)
    NF mines: long to place, high damage, large splash, very strong against infantry (not so strong against vehicles)

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Personally, I'm not for much difference between the sides. a little is fine, but nothing significant like mines. I mean, so much relies on mines.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

mines are the drop and forget defence that can save you from vehicles. they need to be just as effective for both sides.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

If you plan on nerfing one sides; just on the basis of deploy time; thats farse...

A mine shouldnt be used as an offensive weapons which you should deploy in the heat of battle; but something carefully planted behind the front line, then once the line shifts in the enemy's favor, your mines are there right in the brink of it...

If you plan to limit the damage of BE, then allow for a higher mine limit

13. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I don't know how animations work. Could you just make the NF animation go faster? If not, I agree with the original suggestion, cause those NF mines take freaking forever.

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You'll be able to cut the animation in the full version

15. eth0

eth0 Member

God damn, very close to what i was thinking: intuitively the long legs of the mine surely increase the trigger surface area of the mine and yes the (animated) mine does look bigger then the BE's.

So simply put:
    BE: Quick deploy, low damage, you'd need a good close chain (3-4) to take out a APC, 6 for Heavy
    NF: Slow deploy, high damage, 2 mines for an APC, 4 Heavy

This way the 9th mine trick would be kinda fairer for NF and more balanced IMHO for BE as it currently stands.

16. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

you could make one more focused than the other and maybe a bit more powerful to make up for it - as in have a stronger force but falling off more quickly. that'd be pushing it closer to an anti-tank mine rather than the all round mine.

another one would be to have two types of mine, one big one for tanks and a small one for infantry (people wouldnt set off tank mines by standing on them though). that'd probably just be more confusion though tbh

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it should be ONE mine for any vehicle except a heavy, and only if your heavy is lucky enough to be where there is lots of armour.

If it takes less than one mine to kill something then the driver will just jump out and repair.

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

Private if the driver can still jump out and repair you did a lousy job at placing the mines... You should always place mines in pairs even if it is agains infantry

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Or just make BE take forever to place. I think that is waiting on new anims and models. I hope they do NOT allow you to drop mines really fast, it just brings back mine spam.

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you mean, when someone runs through an area spraying mines everywhere? yeah, you're right.