New map close to testing

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by InstantDeath, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Played it with him. I will now tell people the problems with the map.
    There is not enough rez points at all.
    The lack of walls for NF makes them a rocket feast.
    The switch that opens the big gate is in a small room on the wall. The door to that room can be stuck open.
    You can build anything anywhere so in that small room you could but turrets in there or block the door with a wall.

It is fun when I played and it looked really nice. The problems though take a lot away.

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I love the idea of a small map, both teams competing for resources, land, space.

If only there was some way of stopping rockets just piling into the NF base. what about putting them on a cliff? giving them a cliff around themselves?

Here's a map idea: two teams start really quite close to eachother on a long strip of land. the only res points are in the middle and where the bases start, so although you can retreat your base, you risk being over-run and loosing all res. could be some very anxious and fast paced play there.

3. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

why dont you put only 1 res on each side and have a motherload in the middle, that way the other side might have a better chance to stay in the game >>

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the point is that they can both stay in the middle, but it'd be tough.

i guess it wouldn't work out.

5. InstantDeath

InstantDeath Member

ok, ive improved a lot on beta 4 of empcannon.

I actually have a server up now if anyone would like to join.

download is here: http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/InstantDeath/emp_empcannon_beta4.zip

and I can give you the ip if you havent already found my server. oh, and I would like it if BSID would put this map on their custom map server please.

Screenshots: (i took these on my ded server and i couldnt get rid of the minimap... sorry)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  6. cfreak

cfreak Member

The large Grey Wall of Doom!

...wait, what? Grey wall of doom? :o

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I think its an attack door...
    It opens like a draw bridge and flattens the NF.

8. katana9000

katana9000 Member

I'll be honest with you. What this map really needs is "cover" badly. Just throw down a whole bunch of rocks, trees, ruins, etc. to give those tanks and infantry a way to get around without getting blown to hell. (This is a 1.07 scout/sniper paradise)

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

really nice design; i dig small maps like this.

the big gray wall of doom needs work, though you know that. just something other than a big gray wall...

if you want, though you'd have to ask nicely, you could have shield like those that are used in Tic tac toe, and then in the center of the shields would be a "turn off" button :D. you'd have to ask the author of tic tac toe if you could use that though.

then if you did that, you'd only need a little barricade to keep people out.

10. katana9000

katana9000 Member

As much as I love shields, (And I really do) the shields in tic-tac-toe don't provide any cover whatsoever. They simply prevent infantry from easily taking a flag by damaging infantry and vehicals inside the shield. If anyone can explain a way of making a realistic shield generator let me know. I really want one.

11. cfreak

cfreak Member

Giant gray walls and shield generators sort of seem out of place here. I could see a heavily fortified pit, small hill or a mesa standing in that place, though. With a bit of variation in height, this map would be awesome.

12. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I want to play this but there is no servers with it.
    Also I think you should change the name to emp_impcannon, because its an imperial cannon.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I tried to get the shields to block enemy fire, but came to the conclusion that it just couldn't be done. And I agree with cfreak that they wouldn't really suit this map.

14. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music) Member

There is a blockbullets..something texture.
    It's invisible like playclip.
    Just add another thin brush to the shields with said texture on it.

Or you could just change the shield texture to perform like a blockbullets texture.
    I'll look up the parameters now. ;)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bullet_Penetration_in_Counter-Strike:_Source

Well, looks like it's not actually bulletproof, but two 1 unit layer might work.
    The article focuses on CSS, though.

"$surfaceprop" "concrete"
    would help, but the shield will decal like concrete then.
    a custom surfaceprop is the solution. :p

I don't know exactly how Empires handles bullet penetration and average penetration of the various bullets.
    I'll have a look at the Wiki, otherwise Krenzo should know. ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  15. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Yes it would be great if this could be done. However would this still allow infantry to pass through it? (Got SW episode 1 on the mind apparently.)

16. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Apparently I didn't read too thoroughly ;)
    I expected the shield to be toggleable.

If the shield is an entity then, yes, it will be possible to make it non solid, regardless of the texture... but I don't know for sure how this would affect bullets (since the entity isn't solid ;)).
    It should even be possible to allow only members of one certain team to pass through, etc. Source is quite flexible there.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Blockbullets will only block bullets, however, it may not be possible to make it an entity, since the engine doesn't likes that.

18. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Word from the mighty One
    Blockbullets should work fine then!
    A surfaceprop will most likely do it, too.

Someone should add it to the Wiki.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

blockbullets prevents players from passing through it too, from what I can remember, and I don't know how to use surfaceprops in the way you describe. I'd test it and get it working before you add it to the wiki.

20. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

I think the surfaceproperties won't help.
    The Engine always defaults to a surfaceprop (so the shield got some "random" one already)
    and since bullets do not penetrate, your shield should be bulletproof already,
    but it isn't because bullets use the same or a similar mode of collision like players and other objects.

My memory tells me that blockbullets blocks players, too, like Broccoli said, but there might be a way around it.
    (Would be really disappointing if there wasn't ;))