New guy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Commander Xillian, Nov 8, 2009.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

The ingame tech tree is a little bit confusing. Therefore I updated the printable version:
    http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Image:Empires224TechTreeIcon.gif

And if you have studied the weapon and armor stats on the wiki you might also have a look on this:
    http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Image:Armor_weapon2.24.gif

2. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Mech engineering.

Do NOT research that tree out unless you are on high res maps, and do NOT get bigger chassis before getting an engine or armor, or you are griefing the team.

Also, physics = phail. Nub research. Still, good research tree to start with.

The most important thing you can do in this game is research, research is something only the comm can do, the most important piece in chess is the king (READ: COMMAND VEHICLE), therefore when you command a game you are almost always entirely responsible for its outcome.

Welcome to Empires. Remember, there are no bad soldiers, only bad commanders...

Unless they don't understand english or HUD gui info, then you're screwed.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

comms can add up to 100% of a victory too, but it's less about playing a RTS and more about leading men.

4. Commander Xillian

Commander Xillian Member

I think I fit more as an Adviser, or a tactician then. I'm often urging the team to form class-specific squads, but so far only the Engineers actually get into squads...

And the scouts and Riflemen run off doing god knows what, and when you tell them to switch 2 Demo, they ragequit...

And i know this is begging the hate, but I'll say it anyway.

SCOUT'S ARE BETTER THAN JOO!
    [Quickly runs off with his Heavy Rifle]

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

that case is extremely rare and can be condsidered the exception to that rule. actually its all about how much ppl trust your decisions/perception and not having someone like you on the team that contiously bitches because he thinks he would be the most awesome person alive ... :rolleyes:

6. Empty

Empty Member

I'd rather have a sniping scunt than a good grenadier who bitches about my every action. If I start to doubt myself I start to doubt my research and change it, and we all know changing research = loss.

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

then GTFO my CV n00b. if you're wavering because of one guy on your team your confidence in the first place was a facade.

oh god forbid you take a little criticism now and then. for fuck's sake, if your research sucks (which it usually does) or you're not giving enough targets (and you usually don't), i'm going to tell you. if you can't handle it, you shouldn't be in the comm chair, and if you're prone to getting wound up because of one guy like that, you're never going to be the "extremely rare exception to the rule." but it's okay flasche, not everyone can be pickled_heretic.

8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

this is true

...or is it?

9. Empty

Empty Member

You're one of the morons who bitch about everything your comm does, I've played with you under flasche and had you on my team when I've commed, you're a shit player and you complain about everything your commander does. So kindly GTFO my team and camp spec moar.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I read this:

and then my eyes followed down and caught sight of the sig;

Amusing.

11. Commander Xillian

Commander Xillian Member

So, as I was saying, I've found I'm better suited to Squad leader. I can make those descisions of how best to utilize my squad when the comm is pre-occupied. Diversions can be total shaz...

12. FN198

FN198 Member

beware the 4th dimensional learning curve

13. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

-Pickled: You've slipped a lot, stop acting like you have clout. Still, feedback to the commander is important.

-Empty: You should *know* the effective research paths by now, and you should also know how these effects are best matched with the terrain and specific holding positions of the current map. If you can't determine this information, don't comm. If you can't accurately judge (or have a good idea of it) how to react to enemy research and a change in situational status, don't comm. And if you don't have the confidence to execute this information while simultaneously processing the information or suggestions of other players, don't comm.

-Flasche: welcome to the internet. You are on a team, leading a team of internet tough guy and nubs, learn to command them to victory, and they will shut the fuck up when you do.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Welcome to the forums...:headshot:

*In light of the recent heated discussion argument.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

my english sucks to much to sound competent. i struggle with the right words and their pronounciation. other than that im a robust comm. i just dont like to play overly risky just because im bored ... so dont expect lots of boomtanking from me. i see its gain but on larger games i dont think its really worth it. altho you kill a couple of guys and its a nice distraction for your troops to move up, as soon as theres a scout or decent engi close by you can end up stuck pretty fast. also i only use the BE comm for that - the NF one is just too much a brick on wheels :\
    i rather keep bases managed, research going and targets up - actually i hate when guys stop with their tanks to help me build something im just building (other than a rax or radar ofc). a LT would serve better fighting than being blocked by its driver building a ref that would be up 2seconds later anyway ...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  16. Empty

Empty Member

I used to know all the stuff and comm pretty damn well.

I'm pretty sure I beat you a few times in 2.12, but after research changed I couldn't be screwed learning to command again, and it's just kept changing every patch, making me less and less confident of my research. Every time I play NF I still think I should be going electric.

17. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

:3

Yea we all had to get over that. But really... 2.12? How long ago was that? 2.24 has been the current patch for quite some time now :3

18. Commander Xillian

Commander Xillian Member

Hey, anyone know if there's a Red Alert sound patch? I wish to fight for Glorious union!

19. Empty

Empty Member

Just after I started getting settled into 2.2's plasma rush they changed it all again, after that I just gave up.

20. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Its sad really, only like 2 research paths are really viable for pubbers. Shit has been unblanaced horribly.