New EU server - 100mbit & fastdl

Discussion in 'General' started by Rawh, Nov 21, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Maybe hook the round end event? The only thing that could be complicated would be making the engine wait to change maps, which you could do be setting the wait time cvar. It's a little crude, but it'll work.

2. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

O i can make it easily but the problem you will have is the fact (you must have not seen my other posts) i no longer release anything due to people who are pricks.

3. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Admin request sent. Thanks for making this server btw, I was on it earlier and it didn't lag a bit.

4. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Wait, I've been inactive for a couple of weeks so I must've missed some stuff.

What happened to Napalm's?

And as for this new server - although it's nice it's only max 30 and that kinda fails it for me tbh.

5. Empty

Empty Member

30 is a fine number.
    15v15 is plenty, in fact, I find it's more enjoyable than a 22v22, exception: scrims and pugs.

6. Rawh

Rawh Member

I've got a test config running now with optimized settings, thanks to Krieger.
    I've changed it ingame during a map change and saw that a lot of people are now having less lag and longer vehicle-fun.

7. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

30 doesn't really feel "Empires-like" though. Maybe if it was infantry only and small maps then yeah. 40+ at the very least and I'm happy cause then it doesn't just feel like some silly skirmish.

8. Rawh

Rawh Member

As it seems there's no way of altering it :/
    Just hope ppl don't build strange stuff infront of it :/

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

30 works just fine, less people means more intense games and more importantly: more teamwork

only bad thing about this server is that its mostly empty when i join... i don't know why but i just joined now (its 12.43h here) and its empty, so i just spectator and wait for others to join but they don't :(

edit: some very nice guys just joined and i missed them, i was on the toilet, and later ironing the shirts and sheets, since i forgot about empires :(

i missed them :( i feel so sad now :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  10. Rawh

Rawh Member

Seems I can't get the parachute plugin to work on the server.
    As I recall, nacho's server as well as napals server is a Windows-ded one, mine is linux. Seems to be the problem resides there :(

note to self: don't test plugins when people are play, you are sure to lose 'm.

Server empty again, heh

On a good side, I've added more trial admins:
    Code:
    Empty
    DarkTerror
    Sonecha
    teh_ham
    Computer991

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  11. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm liking your server more and more.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Haha, my first thought as well. :D
    BTW: The Windows server for Empires is much more optimized(=faster) than the Linux one, you should consider hosting it on Windows, if thats an option for you.

13. Kanore

Kanore Member

good luck to the server, since it's intended to replace napalm i guess i'll stop by

14. Rawh

Rawh Member

Not an option I'm afraid. My pc is managed by myself and members of our syscom. They don't give support when I'm going towards windows-based systems, that plus there's this silly license issue I have to abide by.

...tsk, licenses, who would do something so crazy when there's opensource software :D :D

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Because when 2.2 comes out VERY soon then your server is dead due to there being no linux distro of empires planned for 2.2? 2.2 is windows server only, and I noticed earlier you were talking about looking forward to 2.2 for more than single core support. But seriously, 2.2 has no linux distro, so this server's life is limited.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

visualization maybe?

17. Rawh

Rawh Member

Then I'm afraid I won't be hosting no server anymore!

...seriously, why only windows?

That's just wrong! They did the same in the beginning with Fortress-Forever (I'm in the beta there and host servers). You could really notice there wasn't a linux release planned for the game as there were almost no servers running. The only relief there was that they were working on it and had it finished about 2 weeks later, resulting in a lot more servers popping up.

Again I ask you... why no linux server build :S

18. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

From what I understood they're short of coders.

Have you considered Wine? Because I think eth0 mentioned something a while back about Windows servers being faster under Wine than under Windows. But I might be mistaken.

19. Rawh

Rawh Member

There's been the discussion between our system and games committee regarding windows machine running in xen (linux version of vmware). The problem with it is that the i/o from hosting machines under that windows-sort-like environment would be slow, resulting in lag or things that just don't happen (packages that are being discarded / dropped / lost by the interface).

To be honest, I haven't tried the wine-like environment before and I seriously wonder if it would work, seeing that at some part it might be compared to running a server / os in xen?

20. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Rawh, since you are running an Empire server, and it seems you have not played the game more then an hour, here's advice; play the game, don't take this advice as truth. Not that I'm saying all advice is BS, but honestly, take some time to play the game.