New death icons!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bodrick, May 15, 2007.

1. Caelo

Caelo Member

Easy enough to do. Pick a weapon kill someone wiht it an see what silluette (stupid word) represents the weapon..

The same way symbols on airports work. You don't see them photographing a toilet and putting it on those infoboards, right? Nope they use symbols because:
    1. They are clear and not confusing
    2. The human brain handles icons better than full-colour detailed miniature pictures
    3. It's easier to spraypaint on the boards (doesn't matter for empires, except for the installers filesize)

A very interesting article is http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=000ACE3F-007E-12DC-807E83414B7F0000
    And ofcourse any book about psychology would do fine :)

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

In that case I'm the mutant, cause my brain seems to work totally different.

btw if i have to kill people with all weapons to know what they look like, i'll have a lot work. And you know my memory sucks by now (at least you should).

And now let's all wait untill i develop mind control abilities .. :D gonna be fun !

Ontopic:
    I like the real weapon's most, then the silhouettes, and i'm sorry to say but i like your last attempt the least. The black background gives it a less professional look, although i like the idea behind it (the detailed weapon in white is perfect). I know it needs a background to be visible, but this one doesn't really do it i think. If any does ...

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

Anyway a nice option to choose between the silly thingies and the fullcolor evil pictures would be nice if they we're to be put in...

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I like the latest picture too, it looks really detailed, could the black be transparent to match the text chat?

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Was there something wrong with the old red and blue weapon icons? If it ain't broke, don't fi......

6. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this one has some glitches in it, i just knocked it together :)

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Better, but what I meant was the weapon to be more transparent :p (sorry for being unclear)

8. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

This one has 25% transparancy.
    [​IMG]

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I <3 Bodrick and his Icons. The black background looks great, what if you combined that with the weapon transparency?

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

bleagh.. than at least make the black background orange or something that really catches your eyes..

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the newest one here is best.

12. flatmush

flatmush Member

I think you got it perfect there with the last one, my only gripe is that it looks like the back end of the gun has had a few pixels clipped off, (although this may just be because of it being on an exact angle).

13. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Yup, I've fixed that, and made it slightly less sharp.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yes, tbh that is far better. BTW, do these change colors when in dark corridors? I don't remember how the original death icons work in that aspect (It's one of those things you just accept and forget I guess :p), but I think they light up

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If they are set to the UnlitGeneric shader they will always be lit up, and be very visible in dark areas.

16. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

They are additive, so in dark areas they are easy to see. However, in bright areas, they are basically invisible. My ones are not additive, so you can see them in both bright and dark. I've also added a small fade in from black round the outside, as a kind of border, due to them looking a bit aliased. I'm going to finish them up and test them as soon as my dad gets off the computer. I've currently done all the weapons, all the vehicles, and MG, ML icons. All thats left to do is the melee, suicide, and running over ones. Inspiration plz! :D

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

suicide: a hand crushing a person.

mg: a mg unloading into someones face.

roadkill maybe: vehicle falling at an angle onto a hapless person.

18. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

melee: fist
    suicide: skull
    roadkill: wheel sideview

19. Onea

Onea Member

While the icon looks cool, I don't like how the weapon is twice the size of the players' names and hangs below the text.

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

roadkill should be the silouhette of the vehicle, so you know what they were roadkilled with.

then vehicle weapons should get their own weapon images.