New BE heavy tank design

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

In other words, just make the turret look like this:

[​IMG]

except with slightly more fitting attachments between barrels & the turret.

2. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

3. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

and if you acctually look at the design of the tanks, the medium tank is based mostly on German made resent tanks (leapord) and the heavy tank is influenced by German made medium tanks of world war 2, (Panzer mk. IV)

Further more, the Tiger and King Tiger where Horrible Tanks, they where easy out done by the Panther and Panzer class tanks considering that the Tiger was basicly a Moving emplacement. unlike the Panzer and panther which where a mobile assault units.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The tiger tank being a horrible tank is something I disagree against... The cannon range made it supperior to the american Sheermans, the heavy front armor made the weak sheerman cannon almost useless at the range the tiger could engage at... 4 sheermans would blindly rush a tiger, using their better speed to try and monouver around the shots fired by the tiger, and go for the weak plates (I dont rember wether it was the back or the sides that were the weakest) and by the time the sheermans would be in range the tiger already could have easily taken out 2 sheermans...

The major flaw with the tiger tanks is that they were very expensive to build, as well as very overengineered... so if ANYTHING broken in the field, a regular Joe couldnt do the repairs...

There are stories of allied commanders blwoing up outhouses because they thought it was a tiger tank (Due to its angular shape)

Tigers would usualy ambush enemy tanks, and barrage them from a distance before the allied troops could retaliate...

5. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

the Tiger tank was a horrible heavy tank which served no good purpouse and lead to the defeat of a lot of german units.

a tiger tank was powerful and had an 88 Anti tank gun which could hit targets at great distances and take out tanks in single blows. its accuraccy was unparrelleled at the time and it is logical that you put this on a tank chassis and make it a mobile gun.

the Tiger tank how ever could not handle the 88 gun so it could not shoot while moving, and because of weight and motar costraints the turret could barely be moved while in motion either. the Tiger had to Stop, turn the turret to aquire the target then Shoot the gun. steps which often took too much time.

the Shear weight of the tanks themselves also worked against them, the Tanks could Only move on Dry roads and suffered if moved on anything else. also if multipule Tigers where moving in a collum it would quickly degrade the road makign it useless to anything besides tracked tanks. Infintry could easly Stop a Tiger advance simply by knocking out the tread on the lead tank. this would mean that an entire tank battalion could be stopped with a couple lbs of comp b.

Also the Tiger suffered horrible designs. the Tiger had an External gas Tank on the rear. a Single shot from most any caliber gun would be enough to ignite the tank and disable the vehical (if not destroy it.) a single sherman could out menuver the Tiger, get around back and put a single round into the tank destroying it instantly. and thare are cases of a Single Sherman Tank doing just that. not only that it had exposed treads meaning that it could be easly disabled by infintry. and because of its weight it could not be equiped with any modular additions which increased the capability or surviability of Tanks. unlike the sherman which not only had the Sherman tank, but a shermanfitted with anti mine device, aphibious skirts, flamethrower, Multiple mounted rocket launcher among things.

Also, the Tiger isn't as invunrable as many are lead to believe. Yes, there are cases of Shermans shells bouncing right off the frontal arch of the tiger tank. but that is because the Sherman intially was not designed to serve as an Anti tank. the Sherman shot a 37mm gun and used only High explosive rounds. it was designed to primarly be used as Infintry support and take out other mechinzed infintry support units. Later versions which had a much more powerful AT gun easly could take out tigers at nearly twice the range a Tiger could engage. also tank Destroyer class tanks could engage most all tanks (including tigers) and take them out with reltive ease. the M-18 Hellcat was proof as it was one of the fastest tanks in the war with an extreamly low profile. it was capable of manuvering out of the frontal arch of a Tiger and hit it with a single deadly shot. even though it suffered from having next to no armor or protection for crew.

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The actual barrel length didnt change of the sheerman, the rounds they used did however, and that is what made the diffrence... The advantage most tanks had against the tigers is indeed the speed, that I agree with you...

Other things though is another thing (It was heavy yes, and moved, turned it's turret slowly, but wasn't the turret mechanized later into the war?)

Im also not sure about the use of roads and such... Tanks can travel almost over any terrain, even if the engine isn't that great... And things dont explode if they get shot in the gas tank (Movies lie... If you shoot some thing like a car in the gas tank it wont explode, but will just make a hole through which the fuel will leak out)

Can we please keep this on topic though? if we want to talk about the strength and diffrences of tanks, a thread in the off topic section is more then welcome, if you want to continue lets continue there and lets stop flooding this thread ;)

***On Topic****
    O.o oi... All those requests... I made that turret just for fun, and didnt expect much more then "Cool..." Just wanted to make a turret that was more or less similar to that of the Light tank... But if needed I can re-model that thing after more detalied concepts show up? or should I just do what JJ said?

7. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

the 37mm isn't the length of the barrel, it is the caliber. the Shermans earlier classes had only a 37mm barrel that shot only HE rounds. later (around 1943-44) a 90mm barrel was integrated into the tank so that it could engage tigers effectively at range.

the Caliber Is the power of the gun. the Length of the barrel is the accuracy, and the round use is the effect. a 37mm AP round is the rounds that 'bounced' off the tiger tanks, how ever the 90mm AP rounds where large enough and powerful enough to perice the armor.

Roads- it is generally true a Tank with its catapiller treads can travers any terrain. how ever, the tiger was so heavy that unless if the terrain it was traveling on was compacted (dirt/paved roads, or dry land) often heavy tanks like the tiger and panther would sink into softer ground because of their weight, there they would lose traction as the softer ground would be cherned about in the treads, rather than moving the tank it would move the dirt. the Tiger was particularly supceptable to this. grass would quickly turn to soft dirty/mud after 1 or 2 tanks pass over it.

shooting a gasoline tank with a high explosive shell (be it a 20mm flakk gun, or a 90mm AP round) is enough to ignite the fuel inside. although it is often derived as a hollywood gimic as a guy shooting a gasoline tank and the car exploding, it isn't as improbable as you think. if you take a Can of gas and set it out and start shooting it, yes, it won't ignite simply because gasoline itself isn't flamable (yes, its true, you can put matches out in gasoline, it is safe too) what is flamable of gasoline is the Fumes. if you shoot above the liquid level of the gasoline it will often ignite the fumes, then blowing up the entire car.

On topic

i think that it would look better if you made your turret a bit larger and flatter forward to back. i don't like the idea he is putting up about making a king tiger Turret and just double barreling it. that would look kinda symplistic and stupid.

8. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Man it sucks. :P

10. Aurora

That looks weird for a tank, more like an AA gun.

Please do :D here's a bit different, more detailed concept for you:

[​IMG]

It has some small elements from the current BE heavy tank turret. Oh and, make the barrels + their attachments a lot bigger than I drew..

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  11. BoF

BoF Member

Well yes, I do agree with paul there, but you forgot to differentiate between the Panzer Mk. 6 (Regular Tiger tanks) vs Panzer Mk. 8 (King Tiger tanks).

It was actually the King Tiger tank that had trouble moving about because these models had 1.5x the amount of armor when compared to an Mk6. model, and a wider frame. In order to kill a King Tiger tank, yes you have to rush it to either it's rear or sides, but an easier way was to let it run out of gas and let infantry take over, which was why they held an outlook more like a platform rather than a true killing tank. Their weight also prevented any movement at all on a rainy day, plus they were also known to make roads sink.

The regular Tiger Tank on the other hand, was very much as balanced as Germany can get for a tank. They did not have much speed but they WERE the true killing machines of 1944. As for their weaknesses.... here I'll give you a link:

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt_tigervulnerability/index.html

But overall the 88mm and the Tiger tanks were the symbols of German might.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

why change it? it seems pointless to ruin a good model for the sake of gameplay.

13. Aurora

I didn't understand this comment at all. We're trying to make a model look better here. And what do looks have to do with gameplay?

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

the only thing I'd like changed on the BE heavy tank is to give it a skirt to hide the tracks a bit and make it look less brown and nf like

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

whoops. :rolleyes: I meant realism. and I personally think the model looks great and powerful. giving it tall sides would just make it look crap and unbalanced imo. for a double barrled tank with angled armour, look at the better ED tanks in Earth 2160. and how [bad] they look.

16. Empires Noob

Empires Noob Member

We need a panther

17. Aurora

I would like my own design 10 times better than the current black cardboard box we have for a turret. I hope Shinzon can model it and show us how awesome it looks like. :P

I never suggested this for realism btw.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The German tanks were never that incredibly good...yes, they WERE good tanks in terms of firepower, but they were too slow...when it came to bad terrain, other tanks could go through mud and wet ground better, as the tanks were underpowered in terms of the engine.

As far as the weaknesses of the tanks that you listed....those are weaknesses that are common. You WANT to blow the treads off the tank, as that means it can't go anywhere. But that isn't something only German tanks were afflicted with...that is STILL a problem. Hence why you see some tanks and they have a piece of tread on the outside...to repair breaks.

The main reason to German tanks did so good...is they had the idea of putting radios in each tank so they could communicate properly....THAT is what made them so good.

19. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

any one with a 3d modeling program can make this design up quickly. crap you could probably download milk shape 3d and do it yourself in under an hour.

the problem is getting it to have extreamly low polys so that when a person Does play the game it doesnt lag up from having just this tank on the map.

case in point.
    http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2174/tturret1aq7.jpg
    http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/2364/tturret2gu3.jpg

was done in 20 minutes.
    has 702 faces. (way too much for just one peice of something)

but trimming it down it will generally still look the same.
    like:
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7069/tturret01eo0.jpg
    http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8296/tturret02ul8.jpg

but this turret has only 477 faces.
    probably still too much if you are shooting for a 1500 poly vehical. but then again, i dont know the poly counts for this game so i couldn't tell you.

(sorry... probably too many links and they might die..)

the Other tank i designed was part of a project for school. it would be a horrible choice to put in a game because it is 30 thousand poly. but then again, each individual tread is also modeled in. so that contributed to it i suppose.

20. Aurora

The turret should be longer and the top should lower from the middle to the front edge (look at the side picture from my drawing).