Need a good microphone. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by katana9000, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I've gone through about three Plantronics headsets over the years. They were all awesome headsets, but sadly their wires are damn small, and thus prone to break.

2. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Well I bought a $100 wireless headphone set from sony. So I'm good as far as the headphones are concerend. What I really need is a damn good microphone that doesn't pick-up my ceiling fan or the jet engine sound comming from my gpu. Fortunitly short of ones being made for voice recognition they are all quite cheap. Perhaps a bit "too" cheap. Anybody know which of the microphone stand-alones is best? I found this one on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836265001

3. Ganks

Ganks Banned

dont get an AC. the headphones are pathetic.

4. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I love just taping microphones to the headset when the headset's mic dies.

Works well.

5. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

I recently found the microphone from our old Gateway 2000 computer and it works great. Probably not the best microphone on the market or on any market for that matter, but people can easily tell what I am saying. I suggest if you are going to be buying a cheap mic. then don't go to Best Buy or stores like that because they overcharge you like no other.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  6. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Yeah I know they overcharge, bad. Another thing to note is that I have 3 120mm fans in my case as well as a high speed celing fan overhead. I'm wondering if I should get one of those stage-like microphones with the wind-shields.

7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

One idea might be to replace your 120mm fans with 120mm stealth fans.

Vantec owns.

8. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Unfortunitly they came with the case and are the "only" ones that work with the built in speed control. With them turned down and front panel open it stays quite cool, while staying resoanably quite. The main problem is the ceiling fan. (Which I need to keep it under 100 degrees in here.)

9. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

The only ones that work with the built-in speed control?

Uhm...

How's your built-in speed control working, off the mobo or off something to do with the case? If it's off the case somehow, is it using molex conenctors or those funny 3-pin ones used to connect to the mobo?

10. katana9000

katana9000 Member

The controls are built into the case. They don't ever connect to the motherboard just the PSU and to the front controls. The connector is a very strange 2-pin connector. Unlike any other I've seen. I'm assuming it's to keep you from buying another maufacturer's equipment. I'm using an SViking ST-series case.

11. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Oh, that's evil.