My pinnacle as a player

Discussion in 'General' started by daruck, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

And I do believe I agreed with you, and encouraged people to step up. We got Devourawr.

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Trickster, wanna bet people would play on a thursday?

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Whats the command to increase the commander vote time?

I don't mind giving it a go, I'm sure it isn't as easy as I imagine it will be but whatever...

As there is a scrim pending confirmation this weekend between BSID and The Gentlemen then I think its best to wait until the weekend of the 7-8th or it is just going to become complicated and reduce attendance. Also gives a full week to get the word out.

I'll make a thread this evening when I am done with work.

4. Reznov

Reznov Member

Azk supporting delays since HL:Ep 3.

No srsly, dont delay shit like dat to next week cuz of a scrim. Do it on friday or somethin. DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF EXPERIENCED PEOPLE PLAYIN TOGETHER ON A WEEKEND WHILE BEING DRUNK!

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why does anyone need to organize a pug anyway?
    just open up a steamchat thing, invite ppl, arange teams and then collectively join a server, they are empty anyways and comm vote time is enough - do you really need super elaborated plans on the maps where you could answer to "what color has the pixel at 5123, 12315" when someone wakes you up in the middle of the night?
    also if you want a certain map and are 20 you can rtv it, if the admins youll probably have attending aint enough ...

organize yourself guys. you want super liberal everything and are not capable of that little self-organization? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. Paradox

empires doesnt work like this flasche... it's good thinking but it doesnt work.

7. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

It's not always that simple. Some people need to know that there will be a pug in advance so they can free up some time, hard to believe but not everyone in the empires community can jump in the server and play for hours at a momments notice. But I agree that there is no need to overcomplicate things. If I were to host a pug I would talk to the clan leaders/officers and make them talk to their respective clans, schedule the pug as a group event etc. As for the pubbers, there is the "empires main server group" were you can alert every non-clan vet/experienced player about the pug. From what I can tell of how Trickster does it, it involves a lot of spamming players with details of the pug.

Actually, let me handle this pug AzK.

8. flasche

"empires isnt working like this" is why. if ppl want to play pugs youll find enough to do so ;)
    it is. either ppl play or they dont play. its a pug, no scrim ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

exactly... what is pug?
    Pick Up Gays?
    Pick Up Game?
    Predom Uber Gay?

Im going to go with answer 2. Meaning... on the spot or with very little notice. If there is advanced notices... its not picking up something on the spot its a scrim or a match. We should stop calling them pugs because there just simply isn't enough active people to have a pug. That is going around and calling people and actually having enough to fill a server show up in short notice.

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I do something kinda similar at work to deliver projects with resources & people across different continents & languages, it never struck me as being difficult. Anyhow....

Pred; have at it. Make a new thread & highly suggest admin locks this one as it is now sufficiently derailed. Also steam groups FTW. Let me know if I can help, I have admin on Viper and have plenty of freetime.

Everyone else; This is now PredatoR's BBQ!. Just watch the forum & spread the word once details go out. Do not add useless & unconstructive shit to threads, causing debate and confusion. All you have to do is turn up at the advertised time, this is not a big deal.

11. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Of course, I appreciate it. We'll talk things over when I get home. There is no need to rush thing if we do this next week although I think it would be possible to do one this week. We still have plenty of time, either way.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I can set the server up for you if you want, with all the settings pre-done. All you'd have to do is change the nextmap as you please. I mean, you could even use it to test the release of RC3 scripts :3 But yeah, I can only really host tomorrow night, and even then it's going to be starting at midnight for me at least.

I may or may not get a small bit of time over this next couple of weeks, a couple of extra family members are coming over so I'm being forced (against my will) to take a few days off. Idk how viable it's going to be but I could at least play.

Either way, I can give Predator as much server-sided help as I can for when I'm not online. And yes, whilst events, forum threads and server group spamming do work, nothing is more effective than creating a spam message, and going down your entire friends list and pasting it to everyone. You have 2 ways of doing this:

1) A message that makes it clear that it's a spam message. Some people will join, and you won't get many replies, so you can get it done quickly.

2) A message that looks like you sent it to that person personally, usually asking if they want to join. You'll get a reply from most people and it'll be a nightmare to work through, but I find that if you can be prompt with this, and really keep on top of it, it has a really good success rate. Delegating spamming tasks to others, especially prominent members in other clans, also helps. And of course, it helps to have a really stocked friends list.

13. Paradox

people need to actually free time up to actually play, its not like everyone can just get "picked up" and go play a game together, we dont have enough players to do it without planning.

14. flasche

if you try to please everyone you will please noone ...

15. Paradox

well if you do it yourway you'll please noone either, the people that show up wont have a big enough game
    and the people that didnt know cant play

16. communism

communism poof

17. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I prefer a set time half a week in advance over a spontaneous "Join mah pug bro" as do prolly several other ppl, also the problem of not knowing when to be online to get invited into a random scrim leads to ppl not beeing able to attend, obviously. :rolleyes:
    This isn't a question about pleasing ppl, but about planning efficiently, as the time you give out is set, no matter if you give it a month or an hour in advance out.