My list of aircraft suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Theoriginalbman, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Theoriginalbman

Theoriginalbman Member

If these have been already used or thought up no offense meant.
    Also granted some of the following idea would be nasty to code but still I will post them.

For aircraft I think two new values should be added heat signature and radar signature.

Both of these determine the planes vulnerability to weapons. A plane with a large heat signature would have a harder time throwing off heat seeking weapons and tracking and a plane with a large radar signature is vulnerable to radar guided weapons and tracking. More on these ideas in a bit.

I will assume fuel is infinite but in order to rearm planes auto docking stations would be nice that way planes are not forced to return to base runway but rather to a building where at a point they press a button and are landed.

Engine tech

Standard prop engine
    Just a regular engine not very fast higher heat sig

UDF (unducted turbofan)
    Faster that the regular engine not sure if the heat sig would be high or lower

Turbojet
    Fast engine with a large heat sig

Turbofan
    Fast engine with the smallest heat sig

Turbo ram scram jet
    Based on the sr-71 engine except at a certain speed it changes in to a scram jet
    Fastest engine but the a huge heat signature

Armour

Aluminum
    Standard aircraft Armour
    Takes a bullet well but gives off a radar signature.

Radar absorbant armour

Even a hit from small arms will hurt this armour (this is for balance)
    But the radar sig is almost zero.

The special slot
    A plane can added a couple item that don't really fit any where else here

Igection seat

If a plane does damage is a radius around it when it explodes this might be necessary ind order to survive

Radar Passive
    Doesn't increase the radar signature but it listens to other radars around it providing targets.

Radar active
    Finds all targets except those that have a low radar sig
    The plane is vulnerable to anti rad missiles

Chaft
    Give a large radar sig to throw off radar guided missiles

Flares
    Gives off a large heat sig to confuse heat seeking missiles

FLIR
    Sees infared targets

Weapons
    This is pretty straight forward different types of bomb missiles and machine guns.
    Though if scouts could get a target designator this could be a nasty combo. Allowing laser guided or gps guided bombs dropped from stealth planes above the clouds.

Heat signature and radar signature for simplicity would probably Work an a set value radiating in a sphere from the plane diminishings as it moves outward.
    Turrets should be considered radar guided and have a detection shere that diminishes as it move outward.

These are my ideas for aircraft tell me what you think.

2. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

there good ideas but could do with balancing. :)

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'd suggest saving these ideas to a text file and posting them when aircraft are in final stages of development, since it's not very easy to keep track of all the suggestions and be sure of which are good, and which are bad.

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Out of curiousity...

What do we know about how aircraft are going to be implemented? I've heard a few things (soldiers being dropped in boxes, bigger maps), but is there one thread that lists how things are going to be?

Before we can even start to discuss any aircraft discussions, we need to know what's been decided already, and what's being worked on...

I don't quite agree that we shouldn't have any aircraft suggestions until it's finished (after all, a really really good, mechanically simple to add but overarching balance-wise suggestion would be better made for an aspect of aircraft that's still in the planning and balancing phases than later on, when the whole system would have to be rebalanced to add it), but we need to know where things are first.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Until aircraft are implemented as a working version, i don't see how it's possible to list the main features of aircraft, unless somebody wants to go and collect the info on aircraft scattered through the forums.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Rats. I was hoping Krenzo or someone had posted a general progress-update style 'this is what we are working on at the moment' post...

Well, I did a quick search and turned up a few things. It can't hurt to put them all in one place:

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=20150&postcount=2
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=20150&postcount=2
    The NF RPG will double as an anti-air stinger launcher.

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=24139&postcount=63
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=24149&postcount=65
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=22102#post22102
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=21080#post21080
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=9820#post9820
    (Note that this is nearly two years old, from when he was just starting aircraft, so don't go answer his questions now! Incidently, if you had aircraft ideas, it looks like you should have posted them in that thread a year and a half ago.)
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=35884#post35884
    On aircraft and the edge of the map:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=9174#post9174
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=49531#post49531
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=87526#post87526
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=84443#post84443
    This one seems relevent (note that it's just from a few months ago and relates to this thread):
    Krenzo replies:
    (It seems as if more has been said on IRC, which, of course, makes it harder to list... well, we'll know all that when it's released.)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

just one retarded question:

Why do they simulate aircrafts so complex but the vecs a so simply simulated ak. no seperate damage to tracks or guns?

8. 1033

1033 Member

I have been wondering about the controls for the planes. If they are too realistically simulated, wouldn't that just mean noobs would waste all the res trying to figure out how to fly? Will they need a joystick to be effective, or will they have keyboard/mouse controls? I would like to know if there are going to be both third and first person views, because if it is only first person there will be lots of death and swearing by inexperienced pilots:rolleyes:

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

same can be said about people driving tanks.

Odds are aircraft will be ridiculously expensive and thus the air field would be constantly restricted so that only the com can build them.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I suspect we're going to get a testing map along the lines of "Money for Aircraft", with two seperate island / floating-fortress bases with absurd res points on each, and the only way to attack is by air.

That'd make a good place to learn how to fly, anyway... plus you can go to the high-resource servers for a bit, where nobody cares if you waste six bombers in a row learning how to fly.

11. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I see cool in that picture but no blimb like balloonage

13. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I think it would be good to have diffent engines and stuff for aircraft and tanks cus it would add a whole new aspect to the game.

If u think about it, on one team u could have a comm who focases on aircraft and on the other team a comm who trys to balance it out slowly. each game would be more of a diffent experiance cus on ur team u wouldnt know whther to expect powerfull aircraft first or tanks or a balance of both. :)

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Who told you they weren't going to have more than one engine? As far as i know, you'll be able to choose engines like with vehicles.

15. Kamikazi Ice

Kamikazi Ice Member

I think he means have the aircraft engines seperate from the vehicle engines in research.

16. -UWE- Advisor

-UWE- Advisor Member

i have a small suggestion to the aircraft myself!

first off if you think about it, the teams are just randomnly guna go for the aircraft factory first, not even bothering with the VF (or Sea/Water factory when the ships come out) and then attacking the enemy com and youve got a game that ends in about lets say 1 minute (holy shit thatd be boring?)

here it is: add a delay of 5 - 20 minutes until you can build the aircraft factory

OR

put it in Mechanical research spot with Composite Armour and Gas Turbine
    the time it takes to research: 5 minutes
    the amount of resources :P : 5000

now thats a good balance between the air factorys ^^

oh, one more:

if its possible, in the place in the research tree where you get the aircraft
    make an aircraft that can only hold a bomb, and thats a nuke, make it a white slot and when it fires the nuke, it moves x3 slower for 2 minutes

you can only fit 2 nukes on with 1 white slot
    e.g.
    you have a white 3 slot in the BL (Bomb Launcher) place with 1 nuke shoved in
    when you fire the nuke you get 1 more, and then you have to ammo up at a place where you can get ammo

shove in like 2 seats that 2 passengers can shoot down so the plane has a better defence so its not the worst thing to drive (apart from the jeep :P)

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Bombs use a blue/purple color slot, not white.

18. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I like the idea of really heavy rain and u cant see much. imagne this:

Your convoy is the teams last hope of deliveing supplys to the front or you will be crushed by the enemy. Suddnly the rain comes and you cant see 10 feet. You turn on the lights but this only helps you see a cople more feet. The rain pores down the windsreen and the clowds and the dark just makes it worse. Suddly you hear gunfire behind you. The ship next to you crashes down and expodes sending shraple flying. You dont know where it came from. Its a blind dogfight. You blindly try to shake them not knowing what it is attaking you. The weathers so bad you can only navagate with your map. Then out of the blue lightaning strikes you the ship cuts out. Desprately you try to restart your ship but its too late. You bale out into the abiss knowing your team will be defieted if the other ships dont get through.

...To Be Continued

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  19. tysonm1

tysonm1 Member

Nice story there, When you have aircraft is there only going to be one type of aircraft or different ones like:
    Fighter: Useful for taking out other planes or when an airstrike is desperately needed
    Bomber: Effective against ground units and buildings but weak against other aircraft.
    Transport: Like the heli apart from it hovers but doesnt use propellers and has heavy armour.

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

That was covered here; as of the time that was written, the types of aircraft were planned to be:
    The ground attack sounds like it's going to be some sort of attack-chopper thing? So I guess that means we need a voice or comm command that shouts-- (ducks)