Movie Megathread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Only seen Oceans 11 out of that, but I'm often not a fan of hugely old movies. Either way, I'll take a look into them, thanks for the suggestions. Plus, Michael Caine is badass. Whilst I've watched Black and White films before, I only watch them if they really are top-end movies. So which out of those are Black and White? I'm sure I saw the start of the Italian job once, and that it was in Black and white.

Yeah, I've seen it. Honestly speaking, it was ok, but it was nothing Groundbreaking. The fact that it was based off a true story was more amazing.

Honestly, I like both, they're both awesome.

Oh, and also, any gang-style films. Well, I say that, but I've mainly only watched Guy Ritchie films, and the idea of Mafia style films never really enticed me. But Lock Stock & Two smoking barrels, Snatch, as well as Layer Cake (not guy ritchie), The Business, and god knows what else really. Just films along that vein.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The Italian Job with Caine is in full color (and unlike the recent one, it actually takes place in Italy...) Of the movies I listed, only the Sinatra Ocean's 11 is B&W. And like I said, of them all, Alcatraz show's it's age the most I think...it just looks like it was made a while ago. The Great Train Robbery doesn't show it's age much...neither does the Great Escape.

Also, another good "master plan" movie is Where Eagles Dare.

This is what I think of whenever I think of Caine :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo

Also, mafia movies, well...the Untouchables :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. complete_

complete_ lamer

trickster inside man is a good bank robbery film. spike lee directed it.

plus clive owen is in it so you can relate to that

also holy fuck trickster doesnt like "old movies". god dude grow up

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

scott pilgrim vs the world has been pretty good so far

6. Trickster

Oh, I didn't realise you meant the original Ocean's 11. I'll take a look at the original. But yeah, I've added them all to my list, I'll start working through them.

Seen inside man. It was ok but the backing music was so corny I couldn't take the film seriously for half of it. The film itself good, but every time that same fucking tune came on it just cheapened the film. And yes, Clive Owen is in fact, badass.

Also, "old movies" I have a problem with after being forced to watch shitty old John Wayne black and white films in my English class from the 1930s or some shit. Some of my favourite films of all time are the first Sean Connery Bond Movies. They're so good, you'd barely know they were nearly 50 years old. Rather than say I don't like old movies, I mean, I don't like movies that look really old. Black and white, bad sound quality, bad backing music, fight scenes where the other guy starts diving before he's even hit, etc. If they're old movies, but ones that were really well received because of their merit, not because they were some niche (i.e. western films like I mentioned) then chances are they didn't have those problems.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The movie that got me over my dislike of B&W: the Maltese Falcon. But I'm a huge fan of Film Noir.

8. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

If you like Korean Crime drama's "The Chaser" is a good one.

9. Trickster

Old Boy was good, so I could watch a Korean film.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The Shawshank Redemption?

Only film on net flicks to have 100% positive reviews. One of the best films in the history of man kind.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You are missing out. Go get shawshank redemption. Now.

Not even kidding.

12. Terminutter

Terminutter Member

Seconded.
    Also, you've probably all seen it, but Gran Torino.

13. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

the fugitive

14. Trickster

Seen Gran Torino. Saw it at school about 6 months ago before I finished. Haven't see the Fugitive. I'm downloading the Shawshank Redemption now.

15. Deiform

Deiform Member

I watched the Good, the Bad and the Ugly the other day for the first time. Highly recommend it even if you're not a fan of westerns or Clint Eastwood. Can't believe I put off watching it for so long.

16. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

I would third Metal Smith and Terminutter's comments but you've already said your downloading it so....

As for other "plan" movies... I haven't seen many but there was one a while ago I saw that was called like, the ladykillers or something probably not the title. Is about a group of guys that move into this old ladys home to plan a bank heist then EVERYTHING goes horribly wrong. I got a laugh out of it

Otherwise... check out three kings, a pretty good movie about American soldiers looking to steal Iraqi treasure (said to be the basis for battlefield Bad Company 1)

Alternatively I heard about a 1970's movie called Kelley's Heroes which follows a similar plot

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  17. Trickster

I watched The Shawshank Redemption last night. Fantastic film. Thanks for the recommendation.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

12 angry men?

omg its an old movie

19. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I remember watching that in english class.. but its pretty unrealistic because the jury is not suppose to conduct own experiments that is related to the case. that juror should have been tossed out.

i watched shawshank redemption cause of family guy =P..

20. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

For a bank robbery film where things went horribly wrong, take a look at reservoir dogs. It's more about the aftermath, but still badass.

Also, fuck yeah for good, the bad and the ugly. That and the other dollars trilogy films (fistful of dollars, for a few dollars more) are classics, Clint eastwood at his best.