Mortar turrets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by GoodGame, Jan 9, 2009.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

These don't seem to have been suggested.

Basically just a slow rate of fire mortar. How abouts a HE blast radius?
    Auto-targets enemy infantry and buildings. Has a required range of fire---e.g. like won't fire on targets withing 20 units or something.

Fun factor? Now engineers can mortar snipe, instead of ML snipe. Could be an excuse to build a brand new turret model. Gives team auto-indirect fire defense now.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I can't say I particularly like the idea of it being a base defence, too powerful.

Possibly have a placeable artillery building which fires on enemy buildings only, and then only when it is in range of a radar, to keep enemy structures away from your base and to give central map control a greater benefit, but that's mainly me trying to figure a possible excuse for having this, I don't think we need either.

3. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

What do you need indirect fire turrets for? Turrets only shoot targets they have direct line of sight to anyway.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

Flamethrower turret. Inbase defense that kills infantry and causes vehicle overheats in seconds. Useless if used offensively.

5. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

You can dodge those mortar shells.

This type of defence could be rather extremly interesting

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

No one would use these for defense but everyone would use them for offense. Place this on the other side of wall and watch everything behind it be destroyed.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Then you fail at search.

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. Bass

Bass Member

I want all types of sniping (except arties) to be eliminated.

I wouldn't like myself building a refinery knowing that a mortar from half-map distance can kill me.

10. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Don't play money then. I'd have the range of the mortar turret similar to grenadier's mortar, so it wouldn't be half-map range on a typical map.

11. Sirex

Sirex Member

No scrap that. Instead get us an expensive building with an barrage ability with semi long cooldown that can only bombard in the range of the radar.
    Reason, we need more artillery and it would be fun for commander.

12. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

This suggestion is dumb. First of all, coding this will take a lot of time.

MG vs Infantry
    ML vs Structures/Vehicles
    MT vs Structures/Vehicles/Infantry

Why the hell would MGs and MLs even be built anymore?
    Oh, let's not forget about the FlameThrower turrets that have already been suggested in this thread.

13. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

And then what, GoodGame, you'd complain about how they ruin the game like with all the other stuff you want removed?

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I thought Krenzo said that there were technical issues preventing this, way back when...

Also, I'm not sure what it adds to the game. Why should engineers be able to mortar snipe?

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Actually, I remember there's a pic with both Mortar and anti-air turrets in the commander view, I couldn't find it but if not Mortar turrets are included in the game, they must have been removed for some reason.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

LordDz: If I'm thinking of the same pic as you, that's EMP42

17. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

krenzo and the rest of devs have stated source does not support this kind of code,

seriously dude, this is silly, itsnot neaded and not practical, put some thought in your ideas, next time, goodluck on any new turrets the onlyone ihave knowledge of is theAA turret
    only new guns coming isthe shotgun and.............................nevermind

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I fail to see why, because source can do maths and maths will allow you to calculate a parabolic trajectory given a specific gravity, velocity, and two locations.

None of the team knowing the required mathematics is understandable but I've seen people make computer aimed turrets in garrysmod using lua so I know it's possible.

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

However, this comes back to the question I asked earlier: Whether or not we can do this, why should we?

What does giving engineers the ability to mortarsnipe add to the game? We already have people who've got mortarsniping covered, they're called Grenadiers and they have real mortars. Why do engineers need that ability as well? How would the addition of mortar turrets change the game, and why would it be changing it in a good way?

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

It adds -20 balance.