More vehicles in general

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Empires would be a lot more interesting and fascinating with more different vehicles. "Obviously, but wouldn't it be better if the developers put their effort into something different and realize new creative ideas?" you ask. An important thing of course is what kind of vehicles are in question, and the way they are implemented. Currently we have three different kinds of vehicles;

1. Tanks, armoured combat vehicles, designed to confront the enemy head-on. They're the backbone of everything when it comes to armoured warfare. The AFV and LT are there simply so that there's somehting to begin with. The medium and heavy tanks are improvements. The heavy tank is somewhat slower and more expensive, but it's strong armour and armaments make up for that. Overally though, the thing is better than a medium tank in almost any situation, and can can just be considered a more developed level of the same unit type.

2. Transportation vehicles, for conveying infantry on the battlefield quickly and with increased protection. Currently we have the jeep, which is basically just a tool for a few soldiers with a special task that requires fast traveling, so it's not really for direct combat at all. Then there's the APC, which is used to transport infantry to the frontlines faster, provide cover, and supply infantry with ammo and health.

3. Artillery, for destroying/softening enemy defences or bases, and indirectly engaging the enemy by outranging them. Artillery is obviously less manouverable and more dependent on other units for defence, because it's not designed for direct engagement. There's just a single unit of this type.

Then for added variation, we have different engines, armor and armaments. Those are one of the things that make Empires an interesting and unique game when it comes to armoured warfare. But despite the game having all this, I think there's a lot of potential in adding more to this particular aspect of the game, even if some people say Empires focuses too much on vehicles.

If you could pick from a few choices when planning to research a better version of a certain type of a vehicle with a specific purpose, it'd make the game's strategic scope thrive, as well as give more strategic control to those who it really belongs to; the commanders. What I mean is multiple possibilities for the so-called next levels in vehicle research, alike the rest of the research tree, instead of just AFV -> Med -> Heavie, for example. I want the possibility of developing a vehicle type in more directions than just "forward". Maybe I want to exchange manouverability for armour and firepower, or then do the opposite and invest in speed. Maybe I want to give a vehicle multiple purposes and give it the guts to engage enemies of many types, making it less dependent on support of other unit types... then again I could focus the vehicle to be better at a certain task, and direct it towards having a single purpose.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Yeah, add stealth tanks, flame tanks, laser tanks, attack cycles, attack buggys, MCVs, venom assault planes, vertigo bombers, scorpion tanks, avatar units, harvesters, orca bombers, firehawk bombers, mammoth tanks, predator tanks, juggernauts, pitbulls and APCs (ohshi- got those already).

An option would be to offer different sort of chassis, not with armour plating, that have increased protection against some types of shells, but not others, for example you can offer a chassis of the jeep that has doors, therefore protecting the inhabitants, but also disabling mortars and rockets to be shot from the jeep, limiting the users to rifles and pistols. And of course affectng the jeep's speed as well.

For the APC there could be a smaller chassis, for more speed and maneuverability, I think it shouldn't affect armour, but instead just decrease the carry capacity. And for BE also a four-seater jeep, but making it longer, thus more of a target.

EDIT: I just fell in love with armoured jeep. I'm talking about something like this by the way, something that stays small, but is better in combat, it would be the counter for BE, and maybe a cheaper NF alternative for the light tank:

[​IMG]
    (By the way, it should keep it's original chassis shape, this is just to give an idea of the protection)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I think that before we can consider adding more vehicles we need to make every single current vehicle fun and useful, which might even require cutting some things. Quality over quantity.

4. Apogee

Apogee Member

I'm still in favour of some sort of light rocket truck. Long range direct firepower on a light frame.

Or perhaps some high-up research that gives the light tank more missile slots and lets it be used for that role?

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Nice ideas, but I'm not entirely sure the Source engine is up for it :p

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ow if only it could work as in warzone 2100.

Pick a chassis, choose weels/halftracks/tracks/hoover/vtol propulsion, choose a weapon (even engy tool and radar was available for tanks) and start the killing.
    At the end of the game i just loved to put the biggest weapon on the earliest, small chassis. It was hilarious. No way a real tank wouldn't fall over with such a huge weapon on top of it.

But seriously, if the jeeps do get changed (megel's not secret project anymore), then there's not much need for improvements. Better to focus time on aircraft imo.

7. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

tbh with all the stuff Krenzo's done I'm not sure that there's anything that CAN'T be done with the source engine. It might need a lot of work however.

8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

oh, i got an idea. upgrade the nuke to a 4 slot, and add a rocket truck with only a 4 slot missile space.

9. Aurora

10. Goose

Goose Member

How about making a tank hunter vehicle. Sort of like a light with weak armor but being able to hold big powerful shells.

11. Aurora

Assault gun

Not so light-armored though.

12. Aurora

13. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

I vote for impletion of megaboomtank simply becous of the leet name

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Will it come standard with a nub launcher? You could probably fit a nub with magnetic pant between the barrels, and then you shoot super magnets. they take the nub with them :D

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

The assault gun definately should not go after heavy.

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That Super boom tank thingy should fire magneto-electric rays of death.

17. Aurora

Maybe it could be in the same research branch with artillery? Feel free to edit my MS paint masterpiece.

18. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

What are you guys smokin? This is the megaboomtank

[​IMG]

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Watch out, it's got big teeth!

20. FalconX

FalconX Developer

When seriously considering the addition of new vehicles gameplay must be considered primarily- essentially the question of what gameplay niche the vehicle fills. Adding a vehicle because it's cool and you want it merely clutters the game.

I'm not sure what part of your suggestion cannot be covered simply through vehicle customization, except perhaps the "my tank looks cooler than yours" effect.