More people should play this mod!

Discussion in 'General' started by Commander Z, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Commander Z

Commander Z Member

I mean glancing at some other mods, in my opinion, this mod is curently one of the best mods for Half-Life 2.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I agree.

3. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I agree too.

4. petemyster

petemyster Member

ha ha, you could have made it sounds a little more poliet like "aww cheers" :p

"pete you rock!" "Yeah i know don't i?"

lol but i absolutly agree, best mod by far, it doesn't get repetative like insurgency (which tbh, i don't see what all the fuss is about, 6.5/10 tbh)
    empires (in light of the bugged model previews 9.923531234/10

5. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Then spread empires!

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

we already got the "chopper" people spreading the word pretty well :)

7. shox

shox Member

This is the best RTS/FPS mod for HL2...until Natural Selection 2 is released :D

8. Namron

Namron Member

Of course more people should play it.

Two complaints I've heard from people that have seen Empires or tried it: 1) It's ugly (but that isn't stopping CS 1.6 from still being the most popular multiplayer FPS) and 2) it's boring (naturally they are new and don't always know where to go and how to do the important stuff to have fun, but they're also bored by walking long distances and constructing buildings (I know I can be)).

9. petemyster

petemyster Member

Meh Natural Selection is nothing compared to empires (8/10), so I don't see how NS2 will be any better than Empires 3.0, your forgetting that!
    But then again, Krenzo is working hard for a Feburary 3.0 release, right? :P

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Natural selection is vastly superior to empires, it balances commander/player interaction perfectly, and doesn't over-complicate things, making it appealing to a wider playerbase, which is something empires has yet to do.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Natural selection gets old, and quick. Games seem to go the same route every time. Seiging is possibly the most boring experience I've ever had in an online game. It has good moments though!

12. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

When NS2 comes out, we'll have to work pretty hard to steal their fanbase.

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Empires > NS

This is coming from someone who played NS right from its first public release right up to the public Empires release...

Think of this way; In NS the commander is commanding a squad; not an army

in Empires the commander is commanding an Army not a squad

NS is more FPS then it is FPS, Empires on the other hand is more RTS then it is FPS...

Don't you remember the days in NS when everybody was "I wish this game had tanks"...

14. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I disagree, less people should play this mod.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So true...?? :eek:

16. shox

shox Member

Haha, I sure don't... :p The only thing I wished for was that the combat mode had never been implemented :p

I think it's the exact opposite: NS is more a RTS than Empires, because commander interaction is much more important in NS. The only thing that makes NS less of an RTS is the fact that only 1 team has a comm (but in NS2, rine vs rine will be possible, without plugins)

In Empires, most commanders just place their structures and refs at the start and then research stuff for the rest of the game and let their men do whatever they want. As long as u have the most refs and research the right stuff, you'll win (with evenly skilled teams ofc). I know I feel kinda useless as a comm once the game is in that phase...
    Resourcemanagement is very limited too in Empires, if the comm needs res, he blocks vehicle creation, if he doesnt, he doesnt block it. Turrets are cheap, the comm useally doesn't need to worry about whether he wants to place some or not.

In NS, a comm is involved with the team through the whole game. At the start of the game, a comm has to decide: does he go for a hive first or go for res nodes which are close? If he goes for a hive, he'll risk sending his men into the alien spawn, lose a few guys and give the aliens resources. Through the game, he has to keep his men up with healthpacks, but if he spams too many, he'll lose valuable resources that could be put into research... Turrets arent cheap to place either, the comm has to decide which areas are worth defending with turrets and which are not. And there are more things a comm has to worry about throughout a game, but I'm not going to explain it all :)

I'm not saying Empires sucks or anything, it's a great mod, but i have higher expectations for NS2 ^^

17. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

Then start advertising! Tell friends and family about it, and maybe they'll start playing it! The more the merrier.

18. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

ns was too arcadey for my tastes

Empires hit that hard to reach sweet spot between the rts and fps genres, lets hope it stays there ^^

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Indeed, most. A good comm doesn't linger for a second. He moves his camera around, assigns targets, places walls for cover and armories for ammo, knows good locations for forward bases AND keeps each and every possible tactic for every route in the back of his head, continuously adjusting his strategy and exploiting the enemy's weaknesses.

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

It seems that in pubs; commanders dont even consider the option of a foward barracks; hell forget a foward VF; whats the point right?

In same games when I com I never shut up in the mic; I keep telling people what to do; while taking into account the reports coming in from people in the field; I paint targets for them; I place walls for cover for some, I will even drop an armory RIGHT on the front; I build the base, the foward base, and that odd refinery, and yes that means moving my ass around in the CV and in and out to the point of people saying "WTF WE LOOZE NO COM!" despite the fact that they have top of the line ressearch and 3 foward barracks (If the map allows)...

If you have nothing to do as a com; you are not doing the job to its full potential.

In NS, I just remeber mashing the spam medpack button and hoping that I will get it RIGHT on that marine; it was like a minigame in itself. Or its fun as an alien to come across a single marine; to have the commander cover the entire floor with ammo/medpacks. If anything the marines are the ones that decide the strategy and rely less on the commander for tactics (Im not saying equipment, but hell; Most commanders just dropped jetpack,hmg into one spot and you picked up a "Package" without really "Choosing" )

Since in Empires the commander cannot DIRECTLY help the troops; he is left in the tactical position; and is given the tools to talk strategy to the team; not let them run amock by themselves... Orders come down top to bottom not bottom to top...