More Accurate Building Rotation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ranger, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

Simple suggestion. Two versions.

1 - By holding a button, like shift, you can rotate your building by 30, 45 degrees or something.

2- Rotating building stays as it is but there is an indicator somewhere on the building or in Commander menu that indicates current angle.

For perfectionists like me it's annoying when I have to rotate building. I think it would be a nice and easy addition anyhow.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You said more accurate building rotation? Meaning the current rotation isn't so good?

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I believe he means it's too granular.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't know what the problem is with the current implementation.

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Empires ain't meant for perfectly oriented bases. Trust me, I know. I used to build my bases all with the same orientation. This led to some... complaints from players. "The VF is facing a wall!", "Why would you put a repair pad there wtf" "Why do we have plasma cannon and nothing else" etc.

My point is, due to the way that building placement works, the current implementation is basically necessary to make sure that buildings can even be placed in most places. Gotta rotate until you find that perfect position.

Plus, I don't think I'll ever need to know that my building is rotated by exactly thirty degrees. Giving me this information will only lead to a strange obsession and perfectly oriented bases with no strategical value.

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

BUT I THINK EMPIRES WOULD BE A PERFECT CITY SIMULATION GAME IF IT HAD THIS SYSTEM AS AN ADDITION =O

Ok.

Why not make a perfect base and be proud of it when you are alone in a server or 1vs1ing?

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Trust me, you get over the "erma gerd, I made the perfect layout" thing pretty quick once you're comming a larger match. Sometimes the "perfect" layout for winning the match isn't always what you'd expect.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Perfect layout for winning the match.
    ...what?

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol. To be fair, that was funny.

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

I rarely go com in big matches unless other vets refuse to. I of course forget silly demands like perfection. I avoid commanding in large scale battles because I don't talk on the mic and coordinating people is very important (even though vet squad leaders could do that for me).

Thank you. Finally, some one appreciates my humor. It's my time to shine.

11. Ranger

Ranger Member

Something is wrong with my reply, I can;t seee it.

I can only see it after replying again... wat?

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

The funny part about Empires commander is that you can't just hop in CV to learn how to become a good commander.

If you are a good player you are automatically a good comm.
    But not the other way around.

Annnd yeah I don't think our building rotation is bad, you can hardly improve it.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

A good player is a bit ambiguous. People will say if you can mortar people a mile away or kill a whole squad as a rifleman you are a pretty good player, but that doesn't mean you can tell people what to do or know what needs to be done or keep up with simple comm duties. Mostly the communication bit that makes it hard to be a commander. Sure you sometimes have people on the ground able to effectively be commander on foot, but that honestly doesn't happen often enough in my experience.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I'll put it this way.
    Basically, if you know what to do on the field, you know what to do in the CV.
    Research, building placement, tactical/map awareness and of course communication.

I don't call someone top10 player simply because he can mortar people a mile away, Empires is more than that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Sometime ago I figured out a way how to stack two vf's on top of one rax.
    It worked great, problem was it took one tank to blow up all 3 simultaneously.

Making pretty bases is pointless because of all the area of effect weapons in the game.

What you want to do is distance all the buildings by a reasonable amount, two raxes and one of everything else.
    Then litter the fucking thing with turrets.

It would be best to practice in what you can fit in cramp spaces than making them look pretty, because some maps just fucking hate buildings.
    And you will sit there trying to place one goddamn thing because the ground is sensitive.

Hes suggesting having presets like the basic 4 positions on a clock 12 3 6 9.
    Instead of doing it manually he wants a quick hit so he doesn't sit there playing with it.

Its not something extravagant and we can get by on our own without it but having these fixed positions would make building placements more precise and would allow people to remember what building can fit in certain areas at certain angles much easier.

This rax fits here at the 9 and 3 positions, this vf only works at the 12 position, this repair pad is more efficient facing 12 and 6.
    Its meta game stuff we can do without, but it does make people happy.
    A lot easier to remember building positions when they can be associated with numbers.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I will say, a building takes the smallest footprint at exactly two positions, 0 degrees and 180 degrees; it takes up the largest footprint at 90 and 270 degrees. Being able to rotate 180 degrees would certainly prove useful in particular cases, but anything else really does end up being useless for the purposes of trying to fit buildings.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how? floating point inaccuracies aside, if you rotate a random geometric shape along z it should always have the same footprint. or do you only use AABBs, but then you have the biggest boxes at the 45° angles?

but apart of that - building placement works okish. what really could use fixing is wall placement, though i didnt run into the odd "you cant place more walls, even though you only just placed a single piece"-problem much recently, theres still a lot of spots where it doesnt really work or places walls inside or under geometry.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I half-get it, but to me it sounds like he (or she) wants a less accurate version of the current system. I can rotate a building 360 degrees around a point. What's to complain about?

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

He basically wants what modelers call "Angle snap". He wants to be super accurate.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Its not about removing the current system, I dont understand why everyone is thinking that.

He just wants preset positions along side doing it manually.

Basically this.