Modify Voice Call plugin - Squad Voice

Discussion in 'General' started by Neoony, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Neoony

Neoony Member

Just randomly stumbled upon this plugin, while researching the SourceBans RCON exploit issue.

Its supposed to be a plugin where you can directly call to a single player as an admin. Only you 2 (or more if you choose) can hear each other.

So I just wonder...
    If anyone with some scripting experience could take a better look and "guess", if it could be possible to simply create more rooms for each squad and simply create squad rooms?
    Lets say you could toggle whole team chat and squad chat with a key.

To the more technical part.
    I guess it would simply need to create database with players and simply detect which squad they are in, mark them and etc... create rooms and assign them properly.
    Iam just imagining something similar like how the pug plugin works, if you ever checked.
    Or maybe figure out some more effective way? :)

Doesnt even seem too complicated plugin.

Now I guess one thing Iam not sure is, if you could create multiple rooms. Which I imagine can be possible problem. But thats just guess.

Not actually sure if it works in empires in its default state.
    Would need to try the plugin, but I guess I would need more people.

Just seems interesting.
    Thoughts?

Source code direct link: https://forums.alliedmods.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=149620&d=1447248716
    AlliedMods thread: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=274576

----
    I know squad chat was discussed many times before. Not sure if it was just dismissed as a bad idea, or it didnt seem doable or easy in source engine. (..or well, not enough workforce)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's been awhile, but I don't think it looked hard to add in squad voice chat in the source engine itself, or rather a way to further narrow down who is receiving your voice. What you are asking for seems trickier then just doing it in source at least. I'm not a dev for empires so I wouldn't really know how hard it is to work with the squad system.

3. Neoony

Neoony Member

Well its a "SourceMod Plugin". Iam not talking about the source code of empires. A script.
    Of course it would be better done in hard code, but might be harder.
    Just check the source code of this plugin, this one doesnt seem that hard to understand.

Anyways, I could see other implications as well.
    The biggest thing about it, is that its (probably?) possible and pretty easy to route voice in source engine.
    If it actually works...

Admins could quite use it too. They could talk to someone from spec, without turning on all talk or so. Or even just to only one team. Guess you could announce it in chat, to keep transparency.

I can also imagine it should be easily possible to give ability for players to simply create custom rooms (only in team?). But the squads one would probably be better.
    Or maybe even give commander a temporary mute team voice on a cooldown, or something :P

Guess the main thing I would need to test is multiple rooms.
    ...oh, and...if it actually works in empires :P

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

Yep.
    Seems like I cant test alone :( xD
    [​IMG]
    Well, at least it loads xD

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  5. Lazybum

I was just thinking it would seem rather hard to determine who's on what squad if that isn't exposed somehow. I mean I can see it being able to support multiple groups but unless there's a way to automate it I don't see players joining them, which renders this kinda useless in the squad department. Letting admins have a direct line to someone might be good though, so I can see it being useful for admins.

Now I want to see how hard it would be to add squad voice chat through the engine, thanks neoony.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats what Iam talking about.
    Just like the pug plugin. Similar system. (just to put it to perspective)
    Just not choices.

It should be able read which team and squad the player is in. Then assign them to the room. Upon joining the squad.
    Just by sourcemod.
    ...unless Iam missing something and there are no game events upon joining the squad in empires, or something?...

The only question is of the multiple rooms/calls possibility.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  7. Avatarix

I think the hardest thing would be reading the squads and the team by the plugin.
    That is just what I prayed for, @devs do diz

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

Wait, is there any "specific" reasons why are you guys worried about something as simple as detecting someones team?

I mean its one of the first things you learn in sourcemod scripting

The only thing is that empires is a custom mod, so some things are gonna be different than what you can find/learn.

I mean I can already easily find something like "(GetClientTeam(target)))"
    From some Insurgency/cstrike plugin.

Squads might be a little different, not sure if they are somehow custom made for empires or not.
    Might need some digging in empires.

Whole sourcemod scripting is basically based around detecting game events, so I dont get why it should be so hard to detect someones team.

Which isnt why I created this topic xD

Anyways, this thing might motivate me enough to try and learn something about SM scripting :P
    As I was thinking about for some time now.

And this plugin would definitely needed to be rather written from scratch than just modifyed. As this one is really about admin calling, which just creates a lot of junk for this squad system idea.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. Lazybum

I didn't think detecting team was hard, that's easy enough to understand and it's probably the same for any game. I would imagine empires does have a custom squad system though because I don't remember anything like that in stock source engine.

You are right, I don't really know anything about sourcemod scripting, but I would have thought it would be a giant pain in the ass to figure out what squad someone joins in empires.

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats also where I have doubts.

But then think that default bots actually join squads. Which makes me think that squads arent that much custom thing? Maybe rather something thats already in the engine, just modifyed?
    Doesnt DOD have squads too? If yes, then maybe it could be a good resource for references.

Especially if even the current broken bots can still join squads.

There must be a way :P

..there should actually be a file in empires which I should check, which should contain all the game events...which might help....if someone experienced cant help..

Already found a plugin which can analyze teamids for custom mods and such.
    I just need to dig more :P

EDIT:
    I just definitely know that my first step needs to be creating 2 rooms and testing with few people.
    Thats biggest problem I can see.
    I just hope that its not some single side channel in the engine thats being used by that plugin.
    Or that it would conflict.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  11. Avatarix

I can help with testing anytime, just tell the date.

12. Neoony

Neoony Member

Even found plugin like this (and countless other similar ones)
    https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2357143

Which should confirm that multiple rooms should be possible.

And it seems perfect for a reference on how to make multiple rooms.
    That plugin seems to be fully able to create rooms defined in a cfg file.

hmm
    I really just need to figure out the scripting basics now xD
    Mainly the team+squad detection and then auto assigning...

But I see the whole thing quite possible :)
    Then the only concern might be the performance strain xD

EDIT: oh this plugin actually links it to the sdktools_voice.inc which explains the SM voice commands and things.
    ...and makes the plugin even simpler

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017