Mmj

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -MEG- hobbes, Feb 14, 2012.

1. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Yeah because tobacco is allowed and weed not, right?

Wrong, you can't justify to make a poison legal because there is already another typ of poison avaible, if it weren't for the big industry I would say ban smoking altogether, which is not a conservative opinion either.

There are several reasons to do so, I would even go so far to allow all drugs which don't influence others and just adjust your health care rates by the kind and amount of drugs you do.

And don't start all this ridiculous "then you would have to check what they eat too" What you do for your health cannot and should not be judged, while if you do smth actively against it, it should,
    there is no "I was so lazy so I suddenly did heroin, now I need all day care, pls pay, not my fault".

There, noone has to cry since the addition costs are covered.

Don't get me wrong, tobaco or weed shouldn't be any more banned then weed already is, it's better to become/stay half-illegal, so weed doesn't become our third 2-3 times a day drug, where you have to inhale all the fumes around you if you want or not.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

My brother lost his drivers license due to driving high, now I got to drive him everywhere everytime which sucks. I failed 2 classes and quit school because of mj. That all happened long time ago, but still, both me and my brother have a slight obsessive-compulsive disorder nowadays....

I'm not saying weed is the cause of all that, but still weed is a shitty little drug and if you don't take care how often and how much you take it, it will fuck up your brain. Mj does not get you physical addicted, but psychical addiction is enough to stay on it even when you want to quit.

So best advice is to only take mj when you feel absolutely no need to kill pain or relax. Yes that makes no sense. :headshot:

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm sorry, and I don't want to sound like a dick here, but if you let any drug become that important to you, then you should just accept that you shouldn't do drugs, they're not for you, and you don't have the willpower to cope with them. Seriously, I don't get how it's hard to just not do stupid shit. Don't drive, don't go out in public, don't let it affect your outside life. It's not difficult.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Of course it's not difficult, but most people think that "this is how drugs make you feel man and that's how it's supposed to be" and retarded shit like that. If people took a test that shows what kinds of drugs they are vulnerable to, it'd make the world a much nicer place. Too bad such a test is still a decade or so away

5. Trickster

I guess that's it really, but that is the (forgive the pun) acid test. They try it, and if they are suited to it, great, if not, it's too late by that point anyway. There are people who have been able to use any drug up to heroin without getting addicted, even though it has major physical addiction properties. And there are people who get addicted to MJ/alcohol which have subjective psychological addiction properties, which are entirely dependant on the person.

I don't know what kind of test you mean though, I don't see how they can test willpower vs addictiveness.

6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

So you believe there are set dosages you've to take for a drug to work, like a I/O-Switch?
    If someone wants to be on the safe side they can without being tested first.
    It would just show the more extreme human beings how far they exactly can and will go, and what is the most effective. And what better excuse would there be for any addict than being able to say "hey I got tested so what? You're a scientist now?"
    The fear of not knowing how much it will effect you is the best thing to keep ppl from overdoing things even more than if they exactly know that they are pushing their limits.

Nicer place if you're an unemployed medic perhabs ...

7. Beerdude26

Nothing wrong with knowing your limits tbh

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and what about sex?

it has an impact on the healthcare and pension system aswell. it transmits deseases which are lethal ...

i know absurd, so here have a better example ;)
    saccharosis - we dont need it at all, it has a huge impact on healthcare and is the reason for a lot of deaths.

also your comparison of marijuana with heroin is rediculous.

and if this wouldnt be enough already, if we dont care for addicts it will have an impact on drug related crime, thats why substitution programs have been started in the first place.
    last but not least, good luck in forbidding to put onself in danger ...

... i lold. seriously, think stuff through not everything they tell you in school is true. teachers teach opinions, not facts. even if you will never smoke in life, which is your good right, there is no sane reason to criminalize it. if anythign you create problems this way - look at the prohibition, does mafia tell you anything? sigh

also people aint vulnerable to drugs guys. dont you remember? set and setting. its not the drugs, overusage is a symtom - its called fleeing from reality - its the life of those people that went wrong in the first place and there are several other methods, like playing computer games day in day out for example.
    maybe it even lowers suicide rates if you see it as self medication. a swiss psychatrists (forgot his name, just know he was swiss) said that marijuana is an awesome antidepressant because its the only one that makes you laugh.
    hes so right ...

oh and i forgot - you confuse something with poison in the common understanding and toxicity.
    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thc#Toxicity

to kill one because of toxicity it would take several grams of pure thc intravenous (even if you assume an LD50 of 100mg/kg which is lower as for a monkey). ANYTHING apart of blood or a saline solution will kill you this way ...

9. Trickster

At the end of the day, drugs will always be there no matter what. By criminalising it, you simply give money to drug cartels and potentially take it away from the government. The money the government could make off selling drugs would MORE than cover the costs of dealing with those who need healthcare because of it. So that's not only not an argument, but it's even less of an argument for why we treat fat people, smokers, people who do dangerous sports, people who work dangerous jobs, etc.

The fact is, people reserve the right to fuck themselves up and end their life prematurely. It's called natural selection. I watched an interview with Milton Friedman once, and he brought up a good point. He said, "Ask me who I care about more? The guy who willingly injects himself with heroin and kills himself, or the girl who got shot in the crossfire between 2 drug gangs last week?".

I don't see the problem with legalising every single drug there is. If people want to kill themselves via it, it's their choice. And on top of that, consider that most drug users die because of either overdosing, mixing or something crime related, all of which would happen way less if they were legal. Overdosing often happens because of varying purity, people not realising they're on stronger stuff. Mixing death happens due to a lack of education and readily available information regarding what works and what doesn't. And the crime happens because prices are inflated to more than 10x what they should be.

10. Beerdude26

Exactly, if you regularize AND educate people, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using them. However, because some drugs are objectively "stronger" than others (that is, on a population of 100 people, some drugs will make more people addicted than others), I'd first require from people to take a "tolerance" test based on (epi)genetic markers, family history and existing conditions. This way, people will be informed that "X will fuck you up. Don't use it".

Also, note that the only drug I've ever taken is alcohol, but I've seen my share of friends and acquaintances destroying their lives because they used the wrong drug

11. flasche

alcohol is a quite dangerous drug actually. its lethal dosage is easily reachable with oral ingestion. someone of small size who is not used to alcohol can die from drinking a bottle of vodka already.

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

First of all, not all poisions are deadly in usual dosages, so no, my understanding of poison is correct. You just think I would give a shit if it kills immediatly or not. I don't it's your life and at that it's your own right to end it anytime.
    The effects of smoking w/e can kill you and if it's even 20 years later after 5 years of fighting your throat cancer. I think your understanding of poison is wrong. LD50 is only a messurement for leathality of a single dosage straight into the blood over a short amount of time, if you take your life dosage of THC all at once straight into your vein, SURE, else don't talk about stuff you have no clue about, LD50 is not a test for long time application but short time exposure in case of a poisoning ...
    If it were LD1 I could understand your reasoning halfway, but even then it would be just plain wrong to apply this here since it gives you no idea of long time exposure and effects on lung tissue, you apparently think you are smoking pure THC and it magically dissapears into your blood?!
    Sex is neccesary in order to procreate, drugs are not. This isn't a bad example, it's not an example at all. It's like comparing kids with psychotic breaks. Given, one might lead to the other.
    Orrrrrrly? So you take heroin the first time to enjoy it ... but you get forced to smoke your first joint????

I said don't make this about what you do or don't do for your health (saccarosis), didn't I? Because it's such a cheap and LAME excuse, no matter how you look at it, "oh look he doesn't do anything for his health thus I feel good activly ruining my health"
    You bring up school opinion? Trying to belittle someones opinion who doesn't agree with you by putting them together with some care bears who talk governmental prechewed shit all day?
    If I were a waiter in a bar (or smoker clubs how it's called these days hurrr durrr) I wouldn't want to die from lung cancer 20 years later. Second hand smoking EXISTS (aswell as waiters and waitresses dying from lung and throat cancer), so again, stop belitteling facts. (But yeah it's just them, that doesn't affect us, right? :headshot:)

Infact I don't see any school making propaganda against smoking since tobaco industries have plenty of power on any gov, dont they?
    Most of my teachers were smokers, even in kindergarden, my parents too before you get the wrong idea, all commited smokers spouting BS like you are in order to defend their "needs", reeking of their addiction several meters away.
    So you don't think it's sick how ppl take drugs several times a day? They don't? Maybe you have a hard time telling that smoking is indeed "taking drugs". There is no other reason to smoke beside to drug yourself, at home, before work, even ON WORK YOU'VE THE NEED TO GET HIGH?!
    It doesn't tast great so you don't do it for the taste either, if you tell yourself that, it's a very good sign of addiction right there.
    But I never said that this was in any way the problem why inhaling drugs should be illegalized, for all I care everyone can be as high as he wants 24/7, since it's not my buisness, as long as I don't have to pay for it in any shape or form.

I never said I wouldn't smoke, either, I see it as a drug, use it as a drug (not often ofc) and can only shake my head seing how ppl can drug themselves in some cases up to 10 times a day.
    I see only one opinion being prechewed here, beside if you're an addict yourself, then your thoughts and excuses might be genuine.

But that put aside, I don't care for suicide rates, I don't care for how deadly drugs are, either, if you have to get institutionalized, or anyone affected, I HAVE TO FREAKING PAY FOR YOUR/THAT SORRY ASS, no school tells you THAT.
    So why don't you want to cover the costs you cause on purpose?

And mafia can be stopped, that again is just a lame excuse, which tells me plenty...
    You are talking about making drugs legal without a need to cover the extra health care costs by bringing examples up about how screwed up ppl have to be and are in order to overdo drugs?
    How fucking sick is that? I honestly expected better from you, ... :eek:

13. flasche

i dont even know where to start ...

what was your actual argument? oh right, that you pay for public healthcare ...
    ... you know that if you have to stay intensive care for 10 days you probably spent more money then youll ever pay in insurance? and 10 days there are unusually short. i said before, universal healthcare costs a lot and doesnt generate profits - thats something people yet have to grasp (they understood when they installed it) - it simply wont abide to market rules. some pay more then they ever use, some pay way less, thats how it runs. i dont want to wish you that one day youll need it ...

but what do you want to do with addicts - or well those that aint able to care for themselfs - the "evil" addicts.
    put them in prison? that costs a lot too.
    put signs on their cloths so ppl are warned?
    shoot them?
    figure out ammo costs a lot and develop factories so this can be done faster godwin?

and are all addictions the same? do we kill people which are addicted to shopping? do we kill those addicted to sugar? do we kill those on prescription medicine, prescribed by doctors but still addicted? or just the junkie untermenschen?

and ofc people that show self-destructive behavior have mental issues.

14. Trickster

As I said earlier, the money you'd make in taxes from drugs would more than cover the healthcare costs for those who need it due to the drugs. Same already goes for Alcohol and Cigarettes. People can bitch and moan about the healthcare costs due to them all they want, but they more than pay for the costs they incur.

15. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Huh? Wut? Prison? Killing addicts? I don't even ...
    My point was to make the TRADE with tobacco illegal and allow other drugs while adjusting ones healthcare costs by the amount and kind of drug ones doing ...
    and you conclude I don't want addicts to be cared for or worse?
    I don't know what you took, but I sense some seriously short time effects :eek:

Trickster, on the other hand, has a good point there, you shouldn't only legalize it but also put some big time taxes on it...

16. Trickster

Doesn't even need big taxes, the standard tax applied to everything (we call it VAT, value added tax, 20%) does the job.

17. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Nah, that wouldn't work, you can only spend as much money as you get, no matter on what you spend it, and since most things have VAT already added you would end up with +/-0. I don't think that there's that much of long time savings going on which would be spend on drugs instead of it's original purpose either, therefor the tax would have to be higher of an considerable ammount for it to take any effect.

18. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

lolwhat.

Currently the sale of mj and the income from that (usually) goes untaxed. If it was taxed it would raise revenue. Same thing with any other good.

19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I thought of this aswell but didn't bring it up, because the amount that is sold atm wouldn't be in any way comparable to the amount after a decade of legal selling, at the same time the caused costs for health care will raise aswell making this kind of a dead end.

20. RappemongO

RappemongO Member