ML fire's way left (2.7.0)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by JustGoFly, Mar 9, 2016.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Very noticeable on mediums with one ML. I have to aim way right when enemy is close. I'm used to aiming long distance, slightly to the right, but this is new. I will completely miss a light tank if I aim right at it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhqem5e3abu00tg/hl2 2016-03-08 21-52-10-14.mp4?dl=0

and not as easy to see - long distance accuracy:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk2ssdi59v5utn5/hl2 2016-03-08 21-56-37-98.mp4?dl=0

Heavies seem to be fine, I have three videos of them from close to far and they don't seem to have changed.

2. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yeah, I have noticed this too. all MLs from the med are firing to left of target reticle. Think maybe the heavy is mounted left and right and still firing on center. Here is likely the problem:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Hasnt this always been the case? The targetting reticule isn't where the missiles spawn so there is some offset. They travel true but from a different position left & right of the FOV.
    You aren't scoping down the barrel, I imagine the same is true of the BE cannons, but they are so close you barely notice & there is the kick/spread that masks it too.

So like on the Heavy Missle 1 will land to the left of the reticule & Missile 2 will land to the right.
    Maybe the spawn point of the ML on the medium is just more exaggerated

4. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

I think its the compensation somewhere in code that may be off, maybe its using to offset of the cannons code now possibly, which if you look at the image I posted, the attachment point for the ML is much more left of center than the cannon is right of center. And in game, that is how it is feeling now.

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It has, but not that much, right now it's impossible to hit an enemy AFV/APC at point blank range with both missile and cannon if you aim at the same place.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

Iam pretty sure the missile spawn point was placed outside of tank for quite long time. Maybe because of missiles colliding with your own tank issue? Not sure.
    Close range was always off from crosshair. Quite a lot, but thats understandable.

But what the videos show is much more off than I remember.
    I didnt notice that ingame though.

It was usually pretty damn close to crosshair at long range.

Also, I think missiles changed direction if you for example aimed at one point in the distance and then an object came into your crosshair, it would somewhat adjust to the range / it would fire a bit different direction, same as the crosshair changes a bit.

On that long range video, it seems like its not doing that, it just goes completely straight.
    And if you want a missile to hit crosshair at different ranges, it would have to range check and adjust I believe?

(EDIT: after testing, probably not, its probably just crosshair changing / it doesnt adjust to the crosshair at heavy as well, so I dont think this is the case, it only looks that way when you for example shoot over hill and then back down, the crosshair changes its placement indicating that you should hit the hill, many times you will not hit it though)

EDIT:
    Just tested and its waaaay off.
    I think it might simply be just the direction of the missile travel.
    On med it almost looks like the missile is turning left ( almost xD , dont think its turning, it just looks that way)

Heavy: [​IMG]
    Med: [​IMG]

Just strange.

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Med vs Heavy:[​IMG]

Just changing direction to a little bit right should do it I guess? Too much would overshoot crosshair at longer ranges though.

8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It's not just the direction of the missile, it's where it starts

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

I know, but I would say it was always quite off from tanks.
    It almost looked ridiculous when you looked at the tank from other perspective.

The point is, what changed?

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Even BE heavy seems quite off from what Iam used to.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Compared to the med:
    [​IMG]

Maybe its just me, but it seems quite more off than I know.
    From what I remember, it wasnt going this much off from crosshair.

11. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

I think part of this is crosshair is centered now on nf med cannon, and the cannon itself isn't in center of tank. Whatever the cause, it's definitely changed in the new version for these tanks.

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

What changed is the point of origin, where it starts.

I'm not saying other tanks didn't always have that problem or that stuff. But the fact is the NF Med's missiles' point of origin changed.
    That's the most obvious one, but others might have changed too, in fact I am pretty sure they did.

And since there's nothing in the changelog either they're making BAD changes without the community's approval and without telling anyone or it's a bug and should be fixed, shouldn't be too hard to find either.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

Oh right...I did notice few changes that are not mentioned in the changelog at all, so yeah, that seems right.

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well there's also that matter of buildings now being obstructed by enemy walls/turrets/cameras/ammo boxes for no obvious reason, so either they've completely fucked the code, and that's worrying or they're making BAD decisions without our knowning, and I don't know which one is more worrying.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I wonder if this is related to red skulls med tank? I wonder if someone accidentally pushed the vehicle script for red skull's med tank while testing on it was going on.

16. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

This is not as bad on Heavies as it is on mediums. Mediums are the major issue.
    Just compare the previous video posted - origination point of the ML to the heavy origination point. It becomes much more obvious of the problem if you don't focus on the landing point.

Heavy ML mount point is closer to center. All tests done on NF tanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e44i4qgslcvwff7/hl2 2016-03-08 22-09-06-15 Heavy.mp4?dl=0

17. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

PS: Simple way to make sure the release notes are correct is to take the time to DIFF every file and comment on every change. If you go from memory you'll be lucky to get 80% of the changes made.

18. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Change This:
    Code:
    //driver missile launcher
       "weapon_slot"
       {
         "Bone"       "t_weapon_passenger0_type3"   //bone name in the model where the weapon is fired from
         "Seat"       "1"       //The passenger who controls this weapon
         "Size"       "2"       //size of this slot
         "Type"       "3"       //0=machine gun, 1=tank cannon, 2=artillery cannon, 3=missile launcher, 4=grenade launcher, 5=aircraft bomb bay, weapon types able to go in this slot
         "Slot_x"     "50"       //x of slot's top left corner
         "Slot_y"     "95"       //y of slot's top left corner
         "Origin_x"     "284"       //x point to draw line from schematic to slot
         "Origin_y"     "142"       //y point to draw line from schematic to slot

To This:
    Code:

//driver missile launcher
       "weapon_slot"
       {
         "Bone"       "t_weapon_passenger0_type4"   //bone name in the model where the weapon is fired from
         "Seat"       "1"       //The passenger who controls this weapon
         "Size"       "2"       //size of this slot
         "Type"       "3"       //0=machine gun, 1=tank cannon, 2=artillery cannon, 3=missile launcher, 4=grenade launcher, 5=aircraft bomb bay, weapon types able to go in this slot
         "Slot_x"     "50"       //x of slot's top left corner
         "Slot_y"     "95"       //y of slot's top left corner
         "Origin_x"     "284"       //x point to draw line from schematic to slot
         "Origin_y"     "142"       //y point to draw line from schematic to slot

This will bring it back inline with comparable to offset of a heavy.

Here are all of them just in case you are wondering where this came from:
    Code:
    $cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\modelsrc\nf\vehicles\ground\tankmedium"
    $modelname "NF/Vehicles/Ground/TankMedium/turret.mdl"
    $model "Body" "turret_reference.smd"
    $cdmaterials "NF\Vehicles\Ground\TankMed\"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
       { "nf_medTank.vmt" }
       { "nf_medtank_forest.vmt" }
       { "nf_medtank_snow.vmt" }
       { "nf_medtank_desert.vmt" }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "turret_rig_turret" -56.422  -80.219  -0.404  58.740  72.440  90.669
    // Model uses material "nf_medTank.vmt"
    // Model uses material "nf_medtank_forest.vmt"
    // Model uses material "nf_medtank_snow.vmt"
    // Model uses material "nf_medtank_desert.vmt"
    $attachment "base" "turret_rig_base" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00
    $attachment "turret" "turret_rig_turret" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00
    $attachment "cannon" "turret_rig_cannon" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 90.00 0.00
    $attachment "t_weapon_passenger0_type3" "turret_rig_cannon" -87.50 37.50 0.00 rotate -0.00 90.00 0.00
    $attachment "t_weapon_passenger0_type3_2" "turret_rig_cannon" 50.00 37.50 0.00 rotate -0.00 90.00 0.00
    $attachment "t_weapon_passenger0_type4" "turret_rig_cannon" -50.00 37.50 0.00 rotate -0.00 90.00 0.00
    $attachment "vehicle_pos_2_eyes" "turret_rig_turret" -18.75 -4.69 52.50 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00
    $attachment "vehicle_pos_2_feet" "turret_rig_turret" -18.75 -4.69 -13.75 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $keyvalues  { vehicle_exit { "exit1" "upright"  } }
    $illumposition -3.890 -1.159 45.133
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 1.00
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$concave
       $mass 2000.0
       $inertia 1.00
       $damping 0.00
       $rotdamping 0.00
    }

I suspect maybe there are still things in code that would bring them all back in line to the way they were before. I would check maybe the fire event, maybe the ray's endpoint is not being calculated to the reticle anymore, hard to say without seeing actual code, but I would surmise your weapon firing code generates a raycast from the firing attachment point to an intersect of the world where the targeting reticle is aimed at the time of the event.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

or you know, if you cast a single ray BEFORE the missile fires, you could change the z-orientation* of the "rocket-pods" to hit precisely where you aim at.
    but hey, why have a technical solution when you can have bandaid :P

*or all 3 axis

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  20. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

We have found what caused the behavior to change in the new release and are currently trying to find a good fix.