Minimum System Requirements?

Discussion in 'General' started by VulcanStorm, Nov 4, 2016.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats my problem with it.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Any processor that ends in M is a mobile cpu, meaning it's only for laptops and notebooks. I checked 7th gen for cpus with hyperthreading, only 2 have it and they are dual cores so I honestly don't know what happened there.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

any dual core.
    6 years old graphic card.
    2GB ram

There you go.

Empires

4. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Just put "Not a potato"

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

No really, I don't understand all those " i-series" in this thread, you don't need that at all, not even fucking close.

In my first 3 years I played with single core 3.0Ghz, ATi 9600 SE, 2 GB ram at ~20 fps with low setting. (That's how I git gud)

Then I moved on to E5200, 2GB same shit, 4850 HD, 40~100 with med-high setting. (I'd say this is already kinda beyond "minimum system requirement")

Now I am at Q9600 4GB, 6850 HD, always 50+ at highest setting, I can even run other shit at background.

I plan to get myself i7+1060 by the end of this year, but that's another story.

Anyway, if you wanna write minimum system requirements, go for :
    Any dual-core, really.
    Any AMD HD card, Nvidia 210.
    2 GB RAM.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I think Securities build is the optimal for "Minimal" and then "Optimal" as well.

7. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

well, it won't hurt me to leave them!^^ - but please consider using spoilers at directrly following posts or not quoteing if not necessary ;-)

8. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

ups... i meant 6th gen!
    what happend is that intel's page is stupid, i checked it again - the thing is, you look at desktop CPUs, you click the filter button and will get shown ALL CPUs of that gen -.-#
    but still, there are 9 desktop CPUs, 3 of them without HTT - makes 6 remaining with HTT ;-)

but anyway, Sgt.Security is right, it doesn't matter!
    ATM Intel might be in the lead, but i will wait on AMDs new ZEN CPUs and hope that brings back an real alternative to use on desktop PC (to that mandatory makeing Intel crap!)

9. Lazybum

Some digging later all of those are dual cores and super low 15 watt processors. Desktop cpus don't run that low, and lo and behold google tells me that they are all notebook processors too. All processors that end in U are also mobile, who knew? Have a handy list of the naming scheme intel uses. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

10. flasche

u is for ultra low power - its what they put in "ultrabooks" - i have a i7-6600U in mine. they btw have only two cores and hyperthreading, whereas you wont find a desktop i7 with only 2 cores (thats i3s, 2cores + HT)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  11. Lazybum

Never really understood the difference between notebooks, ultrabooks, and good old laptops. It's all the same to me.

12. flasche

i can barely tell the difference between laptop and notebook and i use them interchangeably aswell - i think notebook is a marketing term whereas laptop stemms from desktop (a computer you can use on your lap). ultrabook is a marketing term aswell and describest notebooks/laptops with exceptionally low power consumption and therefore long battery life.

i believe it when i see it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  13. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

well, intel sucks on so much things anyway - strange categorization of their CPUs is propably the least anoying one xP

a few years ago i didn't even know there's a difference xD
    but it's pretty easy to tell, laptops are portable computers, that aim for desktop performance
    while notebooks are mobile computers, aiming mobility criteria like size, akku lifetime and mainly for office "note" work on the way! ;-)
    with netbooks now occupied that role and ultrabooks are a strange monstrosity for multimedia use (where a propper entertainment system would be better but hey, everyone is free to waste his money on shit he likes!^^)

14. flasche

oh please tell me more

BlackRedDead likes this.
  15. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

1: Click "reply"
    2: ???
    3: Profit.

16. flasche

i promise from now on ill do it like i always did. if its a direct reply, i just reply, if its concerning a specific part of the text or there are post inbetween i quote.

Lazybum likes this.
  17. Caelo

Caelo Member

A notebook is the overall category of portable PCs and notebooks most likely have vents on the bottom, because it make getting rid of energy easy (you don't need to transport it 20cm). A laptop is a notebook meant to be used on your lap (so a subcategory/subset) and thus shouldn't have any vents on the bottom, but only on the sides/top. There used to be a clear distinction, but because people forgot and companies like some freedom in their marketing they are used mostly interchangeable nowadays. I think HP and Dell actually still differentiate between the two.
    BTW prime example of a laptop is the Apple MacBook which has no vent on the bottom. A Lenovo ThinkPad is a good example of a notebook as (at least in my model) almost half of the bottom surface area is covered with air inlets. Blocking those off whilst running a game will quickly overheat the desktop CPU in there causing it to throttle back.
    Also my former HP EliteBook was a proper room heater and had one vent at the bottom blowing pretty unbearable hot air right on your legs.
    They are meant to be light as well or at least "ultraportable" ^^

18. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

• MINIMUM:
      • Processor: Intel Core i3-3225 @ 3.30GHz or equivalent
      • Memory: 8 GB RAM (High DDR3)
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
      • DirectX: Version 11
      • Network: Broadband Internet connection

This is about the needed specs to run you're average 2016 RTS/Shooter.

If people pass this requirement it's the mod itself and/or the server stress that is causing the FPS drops. Atleast from personal experience with other mods that was usually the case. Even the servers hosting the mod games could be causing the root of the issue of lag or FPS drops..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Are you trying to scare people off with that "minimum" spec?

That looks like the minimum spec to run 60+ fps at all time with highest graphic setting at 1920x1080.

20. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

I was implying that if you have those spec's you should not have any lag or FPS drops.

Unless it's from the server side.