Megel's New Project

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DonMegel, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

With only models done before duke nukem redemption comes out, we can expect it to be a board game sooner than a video game.

Also , why 10 k bones? That like only 40 dead people. In China there are probably dometic disputes deadlier than that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Sounds like a story worthy of a tabletop game. Hope you don't get pissed when I use your schizotech IP if I ever DM.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well first of all you have to let people register properly... right now you have it set where you personally have to approve each person who registers. This is good and bad. Bad because there may be hundreds of people who try to register. Can you read hundreds of applications? even if it was only 100 people... that is still a lot. You best bet is to set it to verify by e-mail.

Then people should be able to create threads and what not... provided you set up the user template properly to allow them to do that. Give me or someone else you know who can do that for you a few minutes and you can have your forum up.

Ohh god... don't forget to install a spam blocker like www.stopforumspam.com (its free) It cuts 98% of spam bots out.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why not? verdun f.e. would make for an epic "cower in trenches or die" game. you spawn in the roll of a nameless german or french soldier and die randomly each few minutes to mortar shells. if you leave the trenches you die to machine gun fire. each side has about 150000 spawns. to bring some fresh wind into the game there will be those random gas attack where you have to put on your mask which doesnt help and you die by suffucating to your own puke ...

yeah well ... no really, ww1 would be cool as a game. at least you deffinately cannot put acogs on every weapon :D

not saying your game idea would be bad - on the contrary, the setting is great. not so super accurate everything and as said above no fancy stuff on rifles. modern combat is a bit stale and "over ranged" ...
    only thing that bugs me is the complete lack of assault rifles.

5. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

“Tens of thousands of bones will turn to ash before a general has his fame” Chinese proverb

I am calling it a Real Time Strategy Shooter, or RTS^2 for short. Each team has a General which can produce and control AI squads. Additional players can play in first person, like a standard FPS, or they can spawn their own squad of infantry for personal control.
    These squad members would be fully customizable in appearance and load out, with weapons and gear procured from the black market. While Generals can only order a squad as a whole, players with squads and order each one individually.

The Black-Market is one of my favorite parts. With the exception of a few factories that produced arms, almost every item was bought on the market by the highest bidder. In 10KB I want the market to be global, with some weapons being more or less expensive based on how often they are purchased. Still working out the details.

If that is not your thing, players can fly aircraft, ride horses, etc or just run and gun and try to earn Hero status. Resources are in the form of Villages located around the map. As in the real conflict, Villages pay taxes but can also be pillaged by enemy (or friendly) soldiers. A General can also chose to invest in a Village by adding buildings that increase his control or revenue.

I am still toying with the idea of making the role of General more of an RPG element with a big strategic map of China but I'm not sure how practical it is.

What do you think?

Also, if anyone knows their way around PHPBB forums I'd love some help so I can start getting suggestions over there... EDIT: I turned off the admin approval thing so now its email notification.

6. Z100000M

I for one have no problem with creating a primitive SMG cavalry.
    I want to strap a browning to a horse more though.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Make villages privately owned for the win, able to be sold by the government to players, and if those crazy commies win all villages become publicly owned again. In fact have elections where players can become the President, senators, whatever was in the system of China at the time (yeah I did not do research). Like this could be the RTS/FPS/MMORPG version of Erepublik!

8. Z100000M

The goverment?? What?
    Grant, you reached an american low now.
    "The goverment" is what ended the reing of warlords.
    I'm out of words.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I just mean like governing body, whatever is at the top, like a top warlord deathmage chainsaw killerman you don't fuck with, like the wu-tang clan. Like the banker from Monopoly something like that, the guy who you do business with and he gives you the business. And that would be a Canadian low thank you.

Speaking of, allow generals or warlords or whatever to be able to have reign over province-states or city-states. In fact have clans all in a competition to have reign of all the states/provinces. 100 different factions all in a race for conquest of china, make money from monthly subscriptions, end up getting hired by Valve or Blizzard.

edit: Steampunk feudal Japan would have made a better game

10. Empty

Empty Member

Grant you're a moron that's exactly what the warlords are, they're localized rulers. There was no head warlord, they were all vying for total control and fought amongst themselves.

11. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

This is a really neat idea Megel.
    Had me thinking of Dystopian Wars a bit but, that's more fictional.

I'm intrigued to find out more.

12. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

That is why I made the control points villages that can be taxed or pillaged, developed or destroyed. You could chose to artillery the heck out of a village but when you take it, it will have almost no income because the buildings are all gone. You could chose to pillage your own village for a quick influx of cash but then your tax revenue is going to go way down. Ofcourse you can pillage the other team's village instead of capturing it too.

I was going to include AI villagers and a fear/terror system but I can just see that being abused to no end.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

like the black/white game? That was the best game of that genre. Well there was that heaven hell game.. but, it wasn't so good, not much replay that is.
    Black/white you could do any number of things differently.

14. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

So will this be like a campaign/scenario type of game? Or consistent? Will it be open ended with unrestricted travel? Dare I ask is it going to be an MMO?

15. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Second life 2: Boned edition D:

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'd still hit it. Can we get early alpha access?

17. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Early Alpha? Right now the dev team consists of me...so...no Alpha yet. But, once I get a couple more models done and some activity on my forums I am going to try to grab up some people. The goal is to get far enough to start raising money on Kickstarter.

Not an MMORPG. Each game will start with a large map that has several villages on it. These villages can be captured or pillaged for resources. The villages will start out as four or five buildings in a group but the General can build additional structures to improve the wealth, loyalty, defense or income.

The decisions aren't so much about right or wrong, its more about how best to manage your resources. Destroying a village might hurt your enemy but it makes it harder on you when you capture it. I was going to make it "Right v Wrong" using AI villagers that you could make happy to earn loyalty or be brutal to earn fear but I imagine getting banned in certain countries for allowing civilian casualties.

I was considering a larger map of China to coordinate the individual battles but I can't decide how best to make it work.

PS DDDDestroyer was the first to register in my new forums! Yay!

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

I do realise that you are soloing it at the moment, but I meant after some work gets done.

The concept of the game sounds good to me, I would also add a gigantic map of China as you suggested and guilds/factions of warlords, which can gain control over parts of the map if they win the most games in the area. Something like it.

Also yay, I can troll on empty forums :P

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

make it like warcraft3* just that heros are special units you can switch into. also only one player per team please - which doesnt mean no allies, but dont distinquish in between "commander and follower" - you said something about unit AI anyway. also game sizes should only be 1vs1 up to 8vs8 (or 16FFA or anything in between).

i also think the whole matchmaking should be like in RTS not like in FPS - so not hopping into the server in the middle of a round and turning around games for the lulz.

my best argument for "1player can do it all" - or the possibility of a 1vs1 with all RTS elements - is empires. look at the popularity of the comm position.
    also all players should need learn and do the basics for the game - not like in empires where there is players who seem to dont even know that there is a commander at all.

still you should mainly want to play it as 4vs4 game - i mean thats what should be the target game size - where players, though they could do anything, focus on either infantry, cavalry, artillery and air (or any possible combination actually)

so unless you dont do it like that anyway, try to think this through as a game like warcraft3* where you can switch into heros to controll their abilities. not as a game like empires where the RTS element is more of a hindrance then a gift (sadly, i like the basic idea of blending this two genres)

*or any other RTS game with special hero units that are way stronger then ordinary units without obsoleting them.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm not so keen on RTS games but what flasche described wouldn't be fun for me - which means it's a viable thing to do ;) I really like the frontline soldier concept, but tweaking the RTS element to hell would be required for it to work properly, and that's hard to achieve.