Maps for Officialdom

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, May 27, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's time to start talking about which maps we should add to the official list.

So far, Money_revisited, will be replacing the regular emp_money.

My intentions at the moment are as follows:

Midbridge should become official. Pool & other easter eggs will probably be removed.
    Chain should become official.
    Palmbay should become official.

I'd like to make an extra conquest map official too. Whilst Eastborough is an option, I'd prefer one with vehicles. Atomic is an option, but I worry it might be too complex to be official.

On the other hand, one thing that nearly all (not quite all) official maps have in common, is that for the most part, they can just about function at any playercount. Even duststorm and Isle are maps you can mess about on when there's very few people. I worry that Midbridge and Chain by struggle with this, possibly ruling them out. Only Palmbay is a dead cert.

So, opinions? Given this isn't related to testing, anyone is entitled to post their thoughts. Except HarryHoot.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

emp_fuel?

Looks awesome, is close to finalising (I guess), and plays nice.

3. Reznov

Reznov Member

emp_canyon_s1 for official canyon, hate the raining shitstorm over the whole map, it' depressing.
    emp_plunge is a good map aswell.

@emp_fuel_a2: NF is now not able to get tickets at all. So after thats fixed it would be possible to add it.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

Change cnayon to rain because people say it's too sunny.

1 year later people say it's too rainy.

LEt's get snow instead.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Dude. Make king and atomic official.
    If everyone has them, nobody will have to download them, they'll get full matches, people will LEARN the maps and they'll get played WAY MORE OFTEN.

DO ITTT

6. Trickster

Fuel hasn't been tested enough, so no.
    Whilst I resent Reznov called it emp_canyon_s1 (as if Steve deserves any credit at all), I do prefer the older sunny version. Graphically speaking though, the current version looks better. If only someone made a better looking sunny version....

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Empty has a very good point.

8. Trickster

Idk, I still think being able to function at most playercounts is essential for an official map, which is why I'm now really coming round to the idea of ruling out Midbridge and Chain.

Forest and Plunge both accomplish this a lot better. Sadly, they aren't very good looking.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Perhaps not make them official but put them in anyway, people who load up a new mod aren't going to appreciate having to download 80+ MB file sets each time they go to a new round

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Maps that are perhaps interesting, but have some issues:

(NOTE: These maps aren't in the running as official maps, but are being looked at to include them anyway so there aren't version differences etc)

• emp_slaughtered_alt - Looks nicer, lighting change puts everything in shadows, hard to orientate. Since the original Slaughtered got a texture upgrade, is this still interesting?
    • emp_mesa - Apparently quite interesting
    • emp_atomic - With a clearly-defined leading player it's a lot of fun, but as a pub map it may be a bit too chaotic
    • emp_snowstorm - On EPIC server, freezes up the client when the MOTD is loaded. Check if this is still the case, and ask VIPER.
    • emp_manticore - Quite fun apparently
    • emp_insurrection - Doesn't work on Steam version, ask Varbles to recompile
    • emp_bush - If it's not yet official, it should be
    • emp_hazard - Good, didn't work with the Lost Coast bug but should be fine now that that's fixed
    • emp_homeland - Excellent, although some commanders have crashed with this map. Should see if this is still the case in Testpires
    • emp_forest - If it uses the shitty pine trees, update them with Rappe's good ones
    • emp_plunge - Need to fix some small issues, have a mapper look at it
    • emp_silo - Was broken, fixed by varbles, need new files from him
    • emp_glycenplains - Hasn't been tested in 2 years, had issues with vehicle clips, should have that looked at
    • emp_temple - water doesn't go to the bottom, hole in bottom where people can go through to get under the map, need to fix those

11. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Forest is very good, it looks good and plays good.

12. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

can someone have a look at emp_snowbound an just make it impossible to grief vehicles into the missile bunker. I loved that pretty unique feeling that map gave me.

Temple is just awful.

13. Trickster

I only like Temple for exploiting.

@ Predator, I don't think Forest is necessarily that good looking, but I still think the gameplay is probably one of the best for any custom map. It's simple, and it just works. Also, I like the lighting and setting, with it being sunny but a sort of dusk setting. I like sunny maps.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

forest: all you need to do is change up the textures/models and skybox color, and it'd be perfect for officialdom

manticore is fun but its sooo large in size. noone ever stays to dl it and it works perfect for small playercounts

bush should be official

you should be able to make up your mind about eastborough once you've played b6 (that is if vicki ever puts it on). its either improved greatly, or stayed about the same.

edit: how about vehicletraining?

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  15. Trickster

Will Eastborough ever be sunny again?

16. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

emp_sinking
    /thread

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

it is sunny. maybe not michael bay sunny, but it is

18. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Middlebridge empties servers cause you need high actual playing player count to make it work. Fuel is good make official. Chain noooop. Anyway manticore.

19. Trickster

It still looked like SoF last time I played. SoF is not sunny.

That's my worry about Midbridge.
    Fuel hasn't had nearly enough games on it, and won't have done by the time we release. I like Fuel, but it's far too late for it to ever become official.
    Chain has the same issues as Midbridge.
    Fuck Manticore. It looks nice, but it just isn't fun to play. Everything is forced across that central bridge, and you only get one substantial (i.e. vehicle) route to the opposing side, which is so close to the bridge that you either get killed or at least spotted. The map only plays even remotely ok because infantry have their own ninja routes, but as much as I love steathy routes and shit like that, when that's the only thing sustaining a map, there's something wrong. Keef had some really good ideas for fixing Manticore, but he just never released a newer version, which is a shame.

20. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Ow basicly the description of slaughtered? ...