Map Spotlight: emp_duststorm

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, May 27, 2009.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What I really hate about emp_duststorm is that its only fun for me if I have a vehicle.
    On foot I hate it that you have to walk for ages and that theirs no natural cover.
    With more expensive barracks its really anoying to have only 2 spawns and
    really long ways if you want to go somewhere without cover.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i redid the ruins, just making sure its pretty AND doesn't lag

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ah, I thought the sand looked like de_dust sand, I guess not that ive played counter-strike in a few years.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

tell me what ya think (all is wip ofc, full of bugs and stuff :p)

basic layout hasn't changed, i only added some eye candy and a few dozen pillars (that i will remake later)

the full album, first 3 pictures are "normal" duststorm my fps counter is limited on 35 for some reason :/ but overall they go by the same fps ^^

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/blizzerd101/halflife/empires/duststorm_d/

remade:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

original:
    [​IMG]

please tell me what you dislike about it

todo: make the little steps not block the buildings being placed (8 inches high and buildings cant be placed : /)

5. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I think the stone flooring needs some kind of scuffmarks. The broken parts look alright, but the unbroken stuff looks too 'not-ruined'.

6. Deiform

Deiform Member

Also, does be not have a place to park a rax on the outside of the ruins any more?

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

with the way he raised the displacements you're correct BE cant get their standard NE rax outside the ruins. I wouldnt edit that terrain though so dont sweat it.

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i agree that with the new seamless sky box there needs to be someway to know where the edge of the map is.

other than that i like the changes to ruins (as a wip, if it was finished i would be giving it hell but my criticisms have both been mentioned) and LOVE making the paths on the cliffs more obvious, perhaps even different textures for the unwalkable parts.

9. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Use your minimap to determine where the edge of the map is. The seamlessness isn't going to be problematic as people think - it's not problematic on emp_mvalley either. It doesn't need any visual guide.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The floor texture of the ruins isnt proper allaigned, you have half glazed tiles.
    Imo that doesnt look right because I dont believe someone would place tiles
    in such a way in a real building.

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

Looks like a beach, not a desert.

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I doesn't care about this. The new texture is just awesome!

By the way isn't a beach not only a small part of desert near ocean? Often there is also no boarder between beach and desert.
    [​IMG]

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Sand texture looks really nice :) now go and fix the rock texture too :P

15. Lumi

Lumi Member

I have to agree with Arklan, it doesn't look at all like desert sand. The texture you choose is, in fact, beach sand. (which is evident in the rocks and such)

Desert sand is much more smooth and uniform, with less rocks.

16. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Can you place barracks/VF at every possible location (inside/outside)? I just want to check if all locations are still working.

And cover 90% of the new floor with sand. It's looking to new and clean for ruins right now.

But beside of this I like it.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Are you aware that their are like 100 different kinds of beach or desert sand?
    Theirs no uniform look how desert sand has to be, believe it or not it even
    exists a desert full of gravel

18. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

the walls in the new ruins look too "unruined", which is highlighted by the improved visuals across the shop. It wasn't so noticable with the older ruins because the tops were dirtier and the player generally had to leave the

in the rearmost block open space in the ruins, teams need to be able to place a VF.

teams also need to be able to place a VF south of the ruins, in case they placed a barracks in the rearmost block inside the ruins.

nice though, i like the tiles, certainly interesting and visual.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the way the sand and the rocks go together do kinda suggest its a beach and not a desert

desert is shapen by wind alone, beach is shapen by water and wind

typical sand desert:
    http://www.nigraphic.com/files/images/iran_desert_maranjab_1.jpg

rock desert:
    http://www.saharamet.com/desert/photos/desert2.jpg

etc etc

observe with your texture, its wet/moisturous sand clinging next to small rocks as wet sand does (the supported sand stays due to the weight of the water it contains, all the rest gets blown away) that never happens in deserts on that scale!

this is what happens to rocks in a desert, it gives almost no support to the sand because the sand is very light

http://guide.travel-to-egypt.net/sahara-desert_files/BIGsahara-desert-tours.jpg

also wind ripples
    http://images.inmagine.com/img/purestock/prss019/prss019072.jpg
    can happen in both deserts as coastlines since they originate from the same winds

above mentioned are my observations of deserts, im no pro though

my suggestions would be to use something like these:
    http://mayang.com/textures/Nature/html/Sand/index.html

20. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I made the texture to be used on emp_isle, but gave it to Keef to try in emp_duststorm. However, it's not sand from a beach photo. If even half of you people here had ever been to a beach, or even lived 7 minutes away from one as I do, you might have a chance at knowing what you're talking about.

Either way, it looks more like a desert than the previous emp_duststorm texture, which simply looks like a sandbox with cat paw prints all over it... which is not at all something that would appear in a desert. I guarantee you that if we were to put a texture in like Blizzerd suggested, it'd mostly look like the ground is just a solid color... with no definition (http://www.nigraphic.com/files/images/iran_desert_maranjab_1.jpg).

Keef doesn't want emp_duststorm to look like dunes, although I did make a custom sand dunes texture for experimenting with.

We'll continue toying around with textures unless he decides he'd rather stick with that one. You put up with duststorm's previous texture & hackjob skybox and displacements for years, but at the sight of "something new/different" it's a whole other story.