Map Spotlight: emp_crossroads

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Cyber-Kun, May 24, 2009.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Completly removing the ability to build a rax in the center is a bad idea, it just leads to long ways before you get action, none likes that.

Instead make it impossible to build barracks on only one side of the center. On the side without the refinary point. This leads to short ways for infantry, but also makes it easier to push towards the enemy start base via the side that has no enemy barracks. Ideally both teams advance right to the enemy base, on their respective sides, and this forces teams to make interesting decisions between attack and defense.

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The running in a map is not very fun at all but it is needed for this map.
    The way it is set currently is that both teams can get a barracks or two in middle.
    Problem with that is once you loose the barracks, you loose. If you make the barracks farther back, it is harder to attack barracks. It is also harder to keep middle when you have to run a bit to support it.

I don't plan to remove barracks from everything but the bases. I plan to remove barracks in the middle, so barracks right next to the gates to the middle will be made.

I also plan to make the refinery in the base worth two, so it is basically four refs in your base and two in middle. 4/6 is a lot better than 3/5.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

I disagree. Most teams just come to a halt there. One team gets turrets on the roof, the other team never even reaches the middle of the map anymore.

Actually i don't remember even 1 time that someone retook the middle when the other team had effectively defended it with turrets. And i'm talking in like 2 years or something. I don't think i've seen it happen.

4. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Isn't there a brush to limit turret levels now? cus level 1s on the roof would be fine, and might still add a bit of tactical value to get them.

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I would change the refs like this:

Main Base Ref: x3
    Refs right outside main base: x2
    Mid Refs: x1

That way getting the middle still gives you an advantage, but the effect isn't overwhelming.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

IIRC It's an entity that limits overall engineer turret level for the entire map.

7. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

emp_engineer_restrict can restrict certain areas based on turret level

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I stand silenced :(

9. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah making owning middle less of a win button (through modifying ref outputs) would go a long way towards balancing the map

10. communism

communism poof

Make another way into bases plx
    2 chokes that can be easily defended suckkkk

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its because of incompetence, sorry, but most people seem to
    like to stare at turrets without doing anything against it.
    But if you get half your team switching to grenadier its usually
    no problem to destroy all turrets in no time.

12. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I just imagine Mayama's head rotating about on the turret frames, and it helps motivate me to take them out quickly.

In all honesty though, eliminating turret farms isn't all too difficult, especially when you can take high ground by entering center from the outside and nade spam the turrets down if nothing else.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The problem with restricting turrets on the towers is that theirs
    no indecator that you cant place such turrets on top of it. If it
    would be visual absolutly clear that you cant drop turrets their
    it would be no problem but theirs no logical explanaition why you cant.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The red circle with a line through it and the turrets being greyed out is a pretty good indicator.

There's no indicator as to why you can't place them on TF2 cap points other than 'the game thinks it's wrong'. People don't seem to have difficulty accepting that.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

A cap point is something else than "a random tower, part of the general architecture"
    Theirs no clear visual indecator why you cant place turrets on towers in empires.

Edit: grammar, omg

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

good point mayama. have ruble or something on the top of the tower to make it look like you cant get a flat angle?

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

you could make the wall that goes around the top of the towers like a battlements, and add nobuilds for turrets on top of the wall, where there is obviously not enough space for the turret's feet. that'd work.

18. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

Could you just make edge of the tower limiting enough so that turrents can be put up there, but not in positions that let them cover too much of the map? E.g. if you have the edge of the wall sloping upwards so that they can't get a particularly good angle down the map. That way you could keep turrents up on the towers as an option, but one that's more useful for keeping the top level clear for example rather than an all-powerful solution.

The map widening options, or if you don't mind trying a crossroads2 map then something like making three middlesections (the current one and new paths going sideways to a clone in the east and west - maybe with a road running between the three so there is actually a crossroads in the map), could be quite interesting and could make turrent changes a bit needless.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Get rid of the tank trapping craters

20. communism

communism poof

Haha...was that your arty stuck in front of BE base when I rushed through?