map in the works, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by V3N0M, Jun 21, 2009.

1. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

The project is far from playable, but the geography will be something like this. There will likely be resources concentrated on the islands in the delta, but I need good players to tell me where to take this map
    [​IMG]

2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

why islands?

3. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Why not, Hamster? Islands are certainly more interesting than pudding forts.

I think it looks good so far, V3NOM. I'm at a loss for suggestions, but I'll keep an eye on the thread and chime in if I have any later.

4. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

What I do know I'm going to do is make it look less like an island and more like a peninsula. Also, is there any good way to lengthen diagonally placed bridges without warping them?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Vertex tool.

6. Fricken Hamster

You clearly don't know what you are talking about

7. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

why, does it screw up gameplay somehow?

Also,
    [​IMG]

8. Fricken Hamster

I'm wondering why would you cluster resources on islands of all places

9. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

I didn't say they would all be there. There would be a couple of low output resources on some of the islands and some higher yield ones elsewhere. Also, the bridge from the first map is still there but was not constructed when the screen was taken

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Someone should sig this

11. OuNin

OuNin Member

Needs more variable terrain, like notflat. See emp_delta.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

>_> I would not suggest going all out like I did on delta, people did not like that overall as much.

I would suggest building up the north west side so that it is impassable, and using that to separate the corner into 2 parts. By making it near impossible to access the other side directly, you effectively double the size of the map in terms of distance between bases for vehicle combat. Slaughtered is a great example of extending the map playing area by putting the bases essentially on the same side. This does tend to make infantry combat slightly more important early game and forwards rax much more important, so provide a decent amount of starting resources.

Also, check out the 3d skybox in emp_coast. That is a great example of how to make the area seem like part of a larger peninsula.

Start adding buildings and look at your map again. You may find that the map that you envisioned is actually too large to create in hammer, and that you'll have to scale up the map and select a smaller area on the peninsula to fight over.

Also, Make sure your terrain matches at least the 16x grid lines (every 16 line when zoomed in all the way), preferably having the map line up on the 1024 orangish brown lines, as that's where vis divides it up anyhow.

again, I wouldn't suggest really rugged terrain, but maybe make part of the terrain slightly sloped (very slightly if it is) to give the land a sliding into the ocean feel.

Lastly, i would highly suggest making this more of an inlet, and raising the displeacements around the northern and western side of that lake to make it look like a cliff.

EDIT: Try getting ahold of keef or shandy, they can give you some info for their ventrilo channel, they have a mapper help place in there that they can help you with stuff. Very knowledgeable about mapping in general and empires mapping specifically.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thats not how it works, lining up displacements on the grid is nothing more then mapping neatly

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

that was my point. Doing things neatly really helps in the long run. Especially with how large empires maps are.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Okay, just making sure you do not have false info yoursel =)

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

People are dumb and like flat maps where they can liberally place buildings and jack off to their 50 bases.

17. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

It's fun.

18. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

fap fap fap fap......
    Oh, sorry! I was just having fun with my 50 barracks.

19. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I'm not gonna bother reading through 2 pages.

Add 1-2 infantry indestructible

Have 1 destructible (but very hard to destroy) bridge for vehicles

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

actually building your map displacements on 16x grid makes your life easier in the long run or even higher grid spacing, the worst thing you can do is build your map on 1x grid spacing. Things will simply take forever, you'll have problems lining things up, and you generally will hit the edge of 1024x1024 visleafs more frequently if you build on higher grid powers(requiring less hint/skip brushs around the map, therefore less visleafs). Also building on 16x atleast will make seamless 3dskyboxs ez as pie to make.