make usefull cheap particles

Discussion in 'Art' started by -Mayama-, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Transparent particles = advantage from using low-res particles. Even with a computer more than capable of running the best particles, I'd run those that gave me an advantage, simple as.

2. Demented

Demented Member

The opacity and duration, mainly.
    If it obstructs view and players can circumvent it, it will be a problem. Actually, it will still be a problem even if players can't circumvent it, but at least it won't be a problem of exploitation/cheating.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

For example a He Grenade makes a brown block that lasts for 3-4 seconds. So you are helpless for a long time...
    If you use the expensive particles the time you cant see anything is about one second.. if not less.

The cheap particles arent adjusted to the expensive ones. No one spend any time or thought into it.

4. Empty

Empty Member

I was slightly rushed by people bitching and bitching and bitching.
    Nobody made me do it, I spent my free time on it instead of doing other stuff, not everything is perfect, they're not there to make your game run exactly the same, they're there for people who have less CPU power than my calculator.

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Particles will be locked by sv_pure, so no issues there.

True.

6. Iselore

Iselore Member

But to be honest, if this makes it to steam release...the particles have alot of fixing up to do... I'm sure alot of people are having fps problems with them but most are too lazy to complain and just accept it. I know Empty has put in alot of effort for these new particles but it seems the majority of players can't really handle them. I hope we can find a middle ground. Treat this as a beta test for the particles.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Because we all want effects that look like an action movie but don't require a graphics card.

8. Iselore

Iselore Member

I'm definitely not one of those, I was pretty happy with 1.07 effects.:p Besides, the only noticable change is the blue, green and explosive effects. As I said again, the smoke is the real killer and it always is in any video game. Reduce density, lifespan or I don't know what. Nothing to lose and makes people happy. I'm trying to figure out how to make particlez...

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Iselore, Mayama, whatever. Test each particle, and take screenshots of your FPS before and after using it. You did it with the artillery muzzleflashes already. So do that for more of them, ones that really hit your FPS. For explosions, try it at at least 2, if not 3 different ranges, and make sure they fully expire before you do the next one. Then, maybe Empty can think about optimisation. But with nothing more than "FIX IT", "REVERT IT","DELETE IT", what on earth do you expect?

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

fix it by reverting it or deleting it

11. Empty

Empty Member

How about I apply that to your account.

12. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

No one ever rushed you to do anything.. No one even expected you were gonna do anything, should of just did it right the first time... And go ahead and deleted this post like my previous one in this thread.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just stop nagging, you do it since like what - 5 versions?

15. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Empires - Where version equals time.

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

touche