Make Refineries Spawnpoints/teleport points

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Jan 28, 2012.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

This is a little crazy, but w/e. Ideally, I would like to suggest that every refinery is a spawnpoint for your team, but that wouldn't really work well without new models. So here's another idea: The teleporitng-between-raxes idea that's been around for a while? I think it would work really great if players could teleport from raxes to either other raxes or refineries. And maybe the teleporting to a refinery would be a one-way deal.

2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

you'll run into the same logic problems TF2 has gone through,
    do you let both teams use all raxes as teleports (even enemy ones),
    do you want to restrict it to only enemy scouts using enemy teleports?

If a team can only use their own teleports, how do you rescrict abuse? going back and forth through it to evade getting killed etc. etc.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

make raxes teleport......... MAKE BARACKS TELEPORT.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

BAKE TERACKS MALEPORT

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

lock killspawning (or make it work like force_kill, so no revs) and let teleport have a "channel time" of 5s.

i think you should be able to teleport from anywhere to a friendly barracks of your choice. teleporting takes 5 seconds - any movement (apart from turning your view), weapon usage or getting hit shall interrupt the teleport. teleporting is indicated by small blue particles floating upwards.

6. Paradox

what do you mean with lock killspawning? Like you can't get killspawned? or?

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If you lock killspawn any player using it will do it with enemy mines, jumping from cliffs etc.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Or just neuter killspawning and make commanders actually use strategy to maintain map control.

Being able to nigh instantly reallocate your soldiers to different parts of the maps is painfully overpowered, yet we are all so used to it...

Potential Solution 1: Positively scale respawn time with the health of the barracks/APC.

Potential Solution 2: Positively scale respawn time with the distance from death spot to respawn spot.

Perfect solution? Idk, but it's a possibility.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I like the idea, but the implementation would have to be at least somewhat realistic. I'm going to get shit for bringing up the setting of Empires, but teleportation is out in the left field when you consider the general view of Empires as a mostly realistic game. Teleportation from any location is veering into the realm of fantasy.

10. flasche

have fun jumping of cliffs 10 times, for most its probably faster to just run back to your rax :D

also the removal (lock) of killspawning is, for me, only an option once you can instead teleport back to a barracks. to kill yourself for a squadrevive is, again my opinion, an exploit which should get fixed.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I really think some sort of fast travel system would do wonders for empires, given that killspawning is a required tactic, a formalisation and simplification of the mechanic would be very nice.

Maybe engineers should be able to drop beacons which let you teleport back to base, and you could teleport from a rax to any armory within a certain distance.

That way, you could make raxes and surround them with little armory forts to give them a wider coverage area, as well as between raxes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  12. flasche

wasnt it even intended that you can safe-travel between buildings, just not possible due to limitations in procedurally modifing terrain?
    talking about that supply tunnel thing. all it needs is a small cooldown so you cannot use it to "telefrag" people.

13. Paradox

shit opinion.

14. flasche

so why is killing yourself to get squadrevived across the whole map a good gameplay mechanic?

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I like the engineer idea I guess.

But people aren't realising, killspawning penalises your team by docking tickets, and that's good, it rewards the other team for forcing you to do so. And making people use a ticket to teleport would end up with so much wastage.

I'm not saying there isn't a solution, but look at the other side of the argument first.

16. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

What if teleporting to an armory or a refinery or a beacon or whatever is one-way? Say you can teleport to places only from inside a rax, so as soon as you spawn you can zip somewhere else. If the teleports from the raxes were free, then maybe other stuff wouldn't be a such a big drain if it costs tickets. Ex: Holding button X for 10 seconds without moving or being attacked teleports you to a rax but costs a ticket. Or maybe a small amount of resources could be spent when teleporting. Hell, while I'm at it I might as well suggest spending resources to teleport tanks from one repair pad to another. Just jotting down stuff here.

17. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Yes, realism/realistic mechanics are a bad thing and are looking at being removed. I hear from a good source that within 2 versions there will be unicorns and ponies that fire rainbows out of there asses for "combat vehicles".

Onto a more realistic note, the !kill/revive system should still stay in effect for the times that you get stuck and the !unstuck command is broken for the version.

From an RTS standpoint, a barracks to barracks teleport with a 5 second charge seems balanced. On any half decent map, having to shift 2 or 3 units from one front to another (say main) to stop a rush/push/ninja now opens an opportunity for your team to push.
    This works well from an RTS aspect: I attack your main, you can a: do nothing and lose your main or b: move units back to main and lose ground.

What about a 60 second cool down on your personal rax to rax teleport. I am thinking of the time you spawn at main instead of across the map at the forward rax?
    Base to base transfers should be 'free' in terms of tickets, having to jump back to base (killspawn) still needs to cost tickets.

If you use the story as the basis for empires design, yes.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Tickets are a dumb mechanic and you're dumb for liking them.

If you force the enemy to killspawn you already have an advantage because you arrived at a vital area without being contested, you don't need a ticket advantage as well.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The Rax-Rax teleport idea should already be taken as a "to be implemented" idea, imo. Rax to Rax does not really hold anything objectionable, and while it doesn't fix kill-spawning, it does provide a necessary transportation short-cut that has long been needed.

Kill-spawning in the field needs a more thrashed-out solution, but there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to transport between bases easily. There's no reason for a kill-spawn situation where you leave your buildings to get to another set of your buildings.

If you want a cost, you could use a wage cost to reduce the time - e.g. 20 res for a 1 second transport time, rather than free taking 10 seconds. Let's face it, there's usually a 5-10s time needed to get to the rax anyway. Killspawning would be faster, but use a ticket and really just be an accessible cheat, or rather outside the gameplay mechanics - like killing yourself at low health so that the enemy doesn't get the rank point.

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I like that. I've never thought about it that way.