Make nukes less of a joke weapon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cyber-Kun, Mar 10, 2008.

1. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

yea i know, i dont want a silo either.

i apologise you dont see the same view as mine, but i do like abit of fantasy but at the same time i like believeable fantasy [hates crouching tiger hidden dragon]

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Is it that hard to believe that a missile can fly straight? It's not even fantasy.

3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

It isn't but this starts to be a bit hard to understand when missiles fly straight but bullets don't. :D

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=5553

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Missiles? Straight? The only time I have sever seen a missile in Empires go straight is when dumbfired by a grenadier, or a guided missile thats not being guided.

5. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

thats just lies!

6. Demented

Demented Member

In order to fly straight, the missile would have to be pointed at the sky.

Regardless, everyone knows that gravity in computer games is a tempermental beast that is happy to ignore anything that doesn't have feet or wheels.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Not true. all weapons with their own models (like a cannon shell or missile. Bullets don't really have a model that physically shoots out of the gun AFAIK) have gravity values. This is how much the object ignores the gravity from what I understand of it.

Actually, upon further inspection, bullets DO have gravity attributes.

anyhow, anything with 0 gravity is not effected by gravity. This is probably because source engine does not work well with lift and stuff like that very well.

Gravity of .5 is the same as a standard cannon shell's arc.

Ranged have a gravity of .1

my guess is this is a multiplier that goes with the gravity setting on the server. or it is the slop of the arc it needs to follow. Anyone more familiar with the code able to confirm any of that?

8. Demented

Demented Member

Most game engines operate in a vacuum, without air resistance. When they need air resistance, they use an arbitrary value to determine how quickly an object's movement will slow. The only physics calculations are object-to-object collisions.

And since bullets are instant, I'd expect them to ignore the gravity value.

(Also, didn't ya know? Missiles have wheels! ...Kidding. But as said before, in games gravity is a temperamental beast; it never works consistently.)

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

type sv_airaccelerate -10000 and jump in the air, then hit a button.

Source engine is much better with gravity than most engines.

anyhow, if you mess around with it, you can make coded equations to mimic air resistance.

10. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Actually, if you set a shell's or missile's gravity value to 0 it gets ignored and standard value will be used. ;) I know stuff.

Set the gravity value to like 0.000000000000000000001 and then the gravity doesn't affect the projectile because the effect on it is so trivial that the projectile would go down like 0.000000000000000000001 cm per 1km which it goes or something like that.