Make commander walls cheaper

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Simple enough, make the walls commanders drop cheaper.

It's something that's been bugging me, 1 complete wall costs just as much as an armory. That ain't quite right in my opinion. I would think making it cheaper for commanders to drop would be a good thing. It would mean commanders wouldn't worry so much about costs and build more defensible bases and reinforce the front lines better.

Possible bad thing is it would mean the game would technically slow down a bit because of all these walls, especially if the commander takes the time to build them.

Now originally I was gonna say make them free, but then I remembered the spam people would do. So the cost should be enough to make them not so spamable but commanders wouldn't think twice about fortifying a position. So how about 15 res for a complete wall, that's 5 res a section. 30 res a complete wall if you think that's too low, but I encourage the idea of cheaper walls. I think empires needs a bit of something to fill in all that empty space.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

is this meant as contra? ^^

3. Lazybum

Yes, and no. Some people feel like game can move to fast, especially with vehicle being able to run past everything. But some maps can feel slow enough as is like slaughtered. Still, unbuilt walls are really more of a hurdle and excessive use will hinder your team too, so I don't think you will see people spamming them everywhere. In cases like sbend, there's tons of engineers already so it isn't like the commander is really gonna make things worse.

I really think it would help give commanders a more physical means to direct his team, and possibly direct the enemy team too.

4. flasche

you know whats funny? maps where walls could really turn into a problem never had any problem with walls because of a lack of teamwork required.
    canyon for example. it has 2 rather small chokepoints, if you get your whole team maintaining walls, all you need is 2-3 arties to win. it never happens though ... thank god
    slaughtered just looks bad in terms of walls, but you can wallride over them almost everywhere.

unbuilt walls die rather quickly to almost everything, so i dont think it will be more of an issue then it could already be.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm pretty indifferent on this topic. I don't like that unbuilt walls can be driven over. It's just dumb that coms can dump walls on money to plug up a vehicle assault or block paths in a com chase or cut turret line of sight.

Yeah, lazy is just being balanced.

Just for reference, unbuilt walls have 25HP and they go up to 100HP. However, they have a 97% resistance to almost everything except calc & seismics, so it's more like 800HP unbuilt and 3000HP built. Shits cray cray.

6. flasche

its just more of a pro to me, but i guess that was obvious.

i dont really care about numbers i care about what i experience. if there is a battle going walls sustain only for this long as they dont get regular maintainance, especially if unbuilt. if there is not there is no excuse for not debuilding them.

also money is a map no argument. as is slaughtered (and district but theres no walls there)

if you couldnt block a tank rush with walls, you still could - and even more efficient - block it with armories or any other building then turrets and the nf vehicle factory.

7. Lazybum

Mortars also do good damage to them, it's actually about the same as seismics.

What vehicle can drive over an unbuilt wall? I know with enough speed you can get half way over, but then you get stuck. Unless you mean people driving up the walls, yeah that's always been something that kinda bothered me. I just drop mines little bit behind the walls or turrets though, about the point where they would come down from the wall climb. Usually works.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Heeeeey look noone pays attention when i say shit, what a suprise

walls actually cost 25

and noone is the wiser apparently

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

We need to break walls into cheap walls and expensive walls.

Someone put the sandbag idea back into play!

10. Lazybum

Hey, zoom's right. That really is a bug though, look at the scripts.

Code:
    ImpWall												
    	{												
    	 "name" 		ImpWall					//Name of the Building

"cost" 		75						//Cost of the building				
    	 "max health"	 	100						//Max Possible Health				
    	 "starting health"	25						//Starting Health when built (25% of Max)
    I checked in game too, doesn't matter how long that segment it is it all costs 25 res. I honestly thought each wall segment was 25 res so the whole thing was 75, goes to show how little I drop walls because I look at 75 res and go nah. Well in that case walls should cost 10 res a pop if they aren't gonna take into account wall length. I stand by the thought that walls should be cheaper. As several people pointed out it's pretty easy to get rid of them, so there isn't a good reason for it to cost an arm to wall off one side of a rax.

Huh, apparently flasche made a bug thread about that problem awhile ago. It of course went off topic about vehicles damaging walls.

11. flasche

it recycles as if it would cost 75 though. i totally forgot about that thread ^^

you know what this really shows? how much everyone cares about resources, not at all ..........

12. Lazybum

I do though, it part of the reason of this thread. Like I said earlier, I don't really bother dropping walls because I worry about the cost, seeing that they cost 75 res on the build menu makes me not want to use them. I mean 4 walls could have gotten an apc, which was probably more useful in the long term. Knowing they aren't that much though I'll probably use them more often, but I want to have more secure bases and be able to close of parts of my map, because currently it's actually better to just get rather clever with armory and rax placement to block off stuff. That's kinda strange when most of the time in rts you use walls and defensive structures to help against attacks.

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The thing is com walls dont really have much going for them

They drop unbuild so it only matters for stopping an apc in a choke for 5 seconds, an armory is cheaper and lasts longer, or giving your engies an opportunity to troll the team to farm points. You cant place them if an enemy is within a kilometer.

So either walls should be cheaper as even for 25 they do fuck all, or just have them drop built/mostly built, so that they actualy do something

14. Lazybum

Well yes, I always felt like they were more for reinforcing a base. Out of fire and time to build them up. They can be real useful in stopping apcs from driving between your buildings past everything. Or plugging up the side entrance so people have to use the front, or buy some time. I mean because of the width and length of armories you can't always use them where you want, but with wall you can drop them on inclines.

They can be kinda useful closer up front too, drop one or 2 walls to place buildings in safety. I really like walling up repair pads so tanks can get repaired in safety. You can also use them to physically direct your tanks in certain ways, at least I assume so from what azk has said before.

15. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

i always liked the concept of walls with empires, i mean in reality, before minecraft, there was empires walls.. they should be cheaper.. and by now.. everyones got better computers, more of them, and more turrets for that matter, but on the wall topic.... i think they need to be stronger to standard projectiles , but especially...stronger against engineer deconstruct., that is just silly the time it takes for one engineer... forget a group.. to take down all the walls on money and wreak havoc,

lol did i say groups? engineers don't work in groups..

16. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

i'll post a new thread for my other idea i promise