Make Armories into battle bunkers

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BitterJesus, Dec 24, 2008.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

As of now, armories can be completely replaced with the help of an engineer with revive or healing upgrade. I think it's kind of stupid how there's a large box with nothing but 2 crates inside of it, what should be done is something like this.

(Excuse my shitty paint skills):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the NF version, I can't draw very well, especially with fucking paint, but its fairly simple

The gray thing in the middle is a ladder

With this, armories will actually become strongholds that will be useful against incoming infantry and vehicles.

EDIT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. maimfromaway

maimfromaway Member

I think the bunker idea has been shot down before, but this seems a bit more workable. Especially since most coms use them as makeshift walls anyway.

3. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I like the idea, but I wonder what this would do on some maps......

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

its been shot down like 3 times because no one wants to do the work of making it. IF you can make the model and skin it, I don't think ppl would have TOO much negative about it.

5. No. 6

No. 6 Member

Valve offers Hammer for maps, but do they have any modeling programs?

6. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

xsi my friend, but your better off torrenting 3ds

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I can just imagine money with three battle armories at each entrance.

8. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

i can just imagine being the hated sniper off in the distance picking off infantry as they come up the ladder lol! /hides

9. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I don't think its possible to have ladders in buildings, if it becomes possible then there are some fun things we can do.

Also, with the addition of aircraft, it may become necessary to add a way to get on the roof of all buildings, to prevent someone from hiding up there where they can't be hit.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Please search before you post, when i saw the thread title Chris's thread about this jumps to mind.

11. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

solokiller can we have a link?
    i have seen the thread you are talking around..

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Even if it were possible, having ladders in comm-placed buildings (or tower-like buildings that let people inside get higher up by any other means) is problematic for other reasons, at least if you can see out. It opens the door to lots of exploits, with people using the buildings to get places they aren't supposed to... and it lets them see over things that the mapper didn't intend for them to be able to see into, possibly dropping attacks directly into what the mapper intended to be a secure enemy base.

Basically, towers are something that have to be built into the game's design from the beginning. Adding them now could break many existing maps.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well that rather depends on the height.

A small height advantage such as can be gained from standing on the BE barracks can be a big help without being exploitative.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you dont make it higher then the be barracks then no new exploits should arise

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well even if you did it wouldn't be a problem assuming it had the same floor radius as the armory because that prevents placing it close enough to use as a ladder.

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

guys, guys, guys, have u ever tried jumping on the roof of an exitisting armory? IT ALREADY WORKS, and if u can't figure out getting on top, u can still use the small crates for hiding, cunting and rofling!

And the armory allready does more the be a building with two crates inside:

U CAN FUCKING RECLASS IN IT!!!

just my thoughts

18. gezor

gezor Member

lawl, the good old bunker suggestions ... nice drawing, btw.^^

damn, i really should start modeling ... due to the simple architecture of empires buildings, especially NF ones, it shouldnt be too hard to make some cool models.
    i heard that Blender is a pretty good, free modelling tool (at least good enough for laymen), isnt it?
    can u use this tool for making empires models?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I think it can export HL models, but I'm not too sure about HL2 ones.

20. Deltah

Deltah Member

BE Battle Bunker?

Well, I know that this idea might not get into the game but, after reading it, i just had to make a BE counterpart. :)
    [​IMG]

Basicly a ww2 looking german pillbox(Oh common, admit it... the BE already reminds you of the germans......) Anyhow... Im thinking, 2 latters, 1 of them goes strait to the entrance/exit, and the other goes too a little platform that should be able to hold about 3 people if their all prone, but, the opening needs to be big enough so you can also crouch and shoot through the hole...
    And, if you choose to just sidestep this latter to the window platform thingy, you jump over a little safety desk, prone, and walla. Ammo and Meds. Preferably this would be something like a bunker dug into the ground, and it would literally move the ground away for when you build it but, since i dont think source allows that... just make it a normal above-ground structure.
    Also the new NF armory you has deisnged just needs to be made a little bit different... Basicly safer... or make mine unsafer... either way. xD