Macdonlds hiring university graduates now!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alucard13mmfmj, Apr 4, 2013.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

2. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

^ Lol

This is the most only sensible thread I've ever seen alucard make in this forum.

3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I used to speak enough German to get by, but its been about 6 months so I'm not sure if I remember much.

4. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Yup, totally works like that.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

It does if you get a degree in a field that people want.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Degree isn't a goal in itself. You want well paid job. To be more effective at it, you need to study and a degree is a side effect. It's also effective message telling what you learned.

The consequence of it is that a degree in art history isn't worth shit. Actually, that is incorrect. It's worth is negative, you have to pay a whole a lot for it and you acquire debt and gain little or nothing.

It's even more highlighted here in Poland where studying is free. It generates hordes of pseudointellectuals with psychology degree or other crap.

7. Empty

Empty Member

I think it's a worthy pursuit to want to learn stuff.
    Nothing wrong with that.

But if you're going to be a burden on society or those around you to do so, I don't approve. Either contribute by getting a job and study on your own time, or learn something useful/make progress in your field.

8. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I am very satisfied by this thread.

Alucard has finally contributed some quality input, Dz made me laugh instead of cry, iMacmatician is becoming the founding member of my personal cult, and everybody gets to laugh at Liberal Arts/Gender Studies students.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you pick a STEM major, do some research, start a club, volunteer, keep your GPA high and do a few internships, you will be working when you graduate (if not before).

So yes, it does totally work like that.

I almost feel bad for people that do some fluffy major. If they want to succeed, they have to be worlds better than the equivalently successful STEM student. I took an Art History class from some associate professor. I checked his CV and he had like a 4.0 GPA in his undergrad and did all sorts of weird study abroad research stuff in the European countries with his art specialty. He had to have a nearly perfect undergrad career to get into grad school for that fluffy topic. You can get by with a lot less if you want to be a STEM grad student.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. Space_Oddity

I think we had a misunderstanding here.

I was saying that you should do a vocational bachelor's/postgrad which involves walking straight into a job. Such as courses with internships, PGCEs, vocational degrees, etc.

I thought you meant that just picking the right degree guarantees you a job.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

since when is psychology a bad degree

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Do you mean study of the FEELS?

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

its the study of "how to tell someone is a crazy dickhead"

14. Space_Oddity

Psychology, Psychiatry for people with poor grades.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I am not exactly looking forward to taking these classes later.
    It should be easy but the open discussions feels like it will be cringe inducing.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't know, but when it comes to job market it seems that it doesn't pay that much. There was a blog post somewhere showing that in 1970 USA had the same amount of graduates of tough/unpopular faculties like math/engineering as in 2010 but amount of graduates in psychology and other crap like that increased a lot.

Market simply doesn't seem to value liberal arts/art history that much. I don't have anything against liberal arts, I'm just guessing that lots of people avoiding math simply want to party for 4-5 years and their "education" has nothing to do with learning anything that job market wants to pay for.

Profitability of such absurd waste of youth is highly distorted by subsidized student loans or "free" education.

I have huge respect for people that work/study hard whatever their faculty/specialty is.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It's "bad" in the sense that you can't get a job with it.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

i would wager that it has something to do with the broadness of the degree. you can pretty much go into anything with one (that and math is hard n stuff)
    the first i've heard that

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It doesn't have a direct application, but you get Nobel prizes in it when you write peer reviewed scholarly journals for decades. Usually you die only a little bit after your ideals become famous. Then your ideas will be taught in classrooms for years, so in death you will control the minds of liberal art professors. And then of course there's becoming a social worker/government statistics collector man/good guy in a film.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  20. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

to be honest. i played empires instead of studying ;s.