Loose Lips Sink Ships - News From The Irc Front

Discussion in 'General' started by Dawgas, Jun 3, 2009.

?

What do you think about this?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2009.
  1. yay

91.7%
  2. nay

8.3%
  1. Deiform

Deiform Member

No that's boats, aircraft are 2.25 hotfix h

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I just map

3. spellman23

spellman23 Member

orly?

Then I blame the devs for not being dedicated enough to tough it out and create awesome. If you're relying on updates and patch releases to keep your audience interested you're doing something wrong. If you take the time to go underground (while telling your community you're going underground for a bit, maybe an update as you go along) and return with awesome you will be showered with praise and eternal glory for the awesome and taking the time to make it. If you want to keep cobbling together sorta working stuff onto a failing frame, that's your problem and you only have yourself to blame.

Basically, there usually comes a time where it's time to tear some stuff down and re-build it. Mods do it all the time, especially with vehicle code in the Source engine. And the tough mods and devs are the ones who push out the good stuff at the end.

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

HOLY SHIT!!!! WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO BUILD A NEW EDEN! A NEW MOD FROM SCRATCH! I'VE DREAMED OF THIS DAY FOR YEARS. ALL OF THE "IT'S GOOD BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT" MECHANICS, ALL OF THE MECHANICS THAT ARE MAKING THE GAME LESS FUN.... WE CAN MAKE EMPIRES INCREDIBLE AND BEAUTIFUL!!!

oh. my. god.

i'm not a guy that writes in block capitals. but this is MASSIVE.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Thinking about it, if you rewrite the code anyway, why not change to another engine.

JUST JOKING :D

6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

If you do manage to rewrite empires, call it 3.0

People like whole numbers, so it would be easier to sell them on the idea. Also, 3.0 would make it sound more complete than something like 2.3.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Is there actually likely to be a noticable difference for the people playing or is it just going to make further development easier?

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Did that go over people's heads though? :p

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Some game mechanics may change, we can use the TF2 UI and animation sets and some more awesome thingies, so it'll prolly play slightly differently but it'll still be Empires (in my vision, all rights reserved)

10. Kane

Kane Member

Well, the complete rewrite has been delayed a bit, I'm now doing it incremental (that is, not switching to sdk beta yet)

However, if more people help me, the complete rewrite will get priority.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What would you do? Parcel up pieces of code and hand them out? You certainly can't hand out all the code, but I guess a few pages here and there might work.

Or did you mean just among the devs?

12. Kane

Kane Member

I meant that if we have more devs I can assign them some pieces of code, then merge it into the main branch. Maybe switch to git for that. (See Linux kernel development)

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

heh, you probably don't want my poor C++ coding skills on the team. However, if you're doing fun stuff in say Python and Perl....

14. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

spellman23, I also have poor c++ to offer :x

Empires 151.0 doesn't sell that good, I beleive :P

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Actually, the first few re-writes should stay in the 2.* range. Once you have a big PR push and a polished setup, then you can proclaim 3.0. If you want larger testing, promote it as 3.0RC* (RC = release candidate for the beta noobs).

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You blame a group of people who work on a mod in their free time for not thinking something through? Like that never happens.

17. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Oh, all the time I know. I know in the professional world sometimes ideas and plans aren't thought all the way through properly, and it can really stink to take the time to fix them. However, it's the truly great that can take things in stride and push to victory, and they will be rewarded appropriately.

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!111 :rolleyes:

19. Kane

Kane Member

Uhh. You can't count the SLoC that easy. There is Empires code EVERYWHERE. Even in CBaseEntity.

20. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I think there are some people out there that don't quite understand the density of code and the amount of work it takes to recreate something that someone else has left their footprint on.

Pain in the ass comes to mind. :D