Looking for a GUI Designer

Discussion in 'General' started by Tama, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

For redesigning the commander interface I am looking for a GUI Designer. I'd like to ask all of you to ask around your friends and family if you know anyone who wants to volunteer to work on the best game in the world. I'm not looking especially for people who have played Empires. Please also pass this message on to Empires players who may not look on the forum.

https://empiresmod.com/static-md/join.html

* **GUI Designer** - Empiresmod needs a better interface. As a professional designer, you will be working with our programmers to design an intuitive and easy to learn interface with all the features required by more experienced players.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Perhaps also put a post on the front page of the website?

3. Tama

I'm still working on this by myself. Look at this shitty UI:
    [​IMG]

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Can you please change the title to "GUI Designer"? You want a Graphical User Interface Designer, not a User Experience Designer. We don't really have any other job for them besides making new GUI elements.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Looks great, I'll take it.

6. Tama

Thanks Lazybum, but the "buildingObstruction feedback" feature you see is just the beginning, and I don't want the whole GUI to consist of programmer-art. So please, ask your friends and family if they know a GUI designer who wants to work on the best game in the world.

7. 101010

101010 Member

I think this would be a great project for @James..Assuming the plan is still a html type GUI.
    He did an amazing job with the forums.
    He also has very little experience in game. So he would be able to make a UI from a new person perspective. From the ground up it could be designed to help newer players. He also Seems to take input from the community well.
    So with the help and support of the community I think he could do an amazing job..If he is up to it.

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

lol, what

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

coding an html gui is not the same thing as running a forum/website and editing a forum theme. im pretty sure he said in the shoutbox when the forum first came up that he wasn't some html god

Neoony likes this.
  10. 101010

101010 Member

Coding is what we have coders for. Once the frame work is there it's basically the same thing..If the wiki wasn't locked..I would link the info beerdude posted for how to do it.

For an example
    We already have the start of the new GUI

steamApps/common/Empires/empires/html/game/class/class.html

11. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

Talking about the wiki.. I'm so sorry about that I totally forgot about it, I just reinstalled my computer and lost all the files on it, luckily I uploaded everything to my servers.

I'll look into it, and to answer the thing about me being able to do this, while I had a 3 year education in mediadesign an integration, I suck. in short, I have basic knowledge, I can make scripts and such, but to do this I'd have to look into it again, haven't done much for a long time.

12. Tama

Thanks for considering it James, but I don't expect you to jump into a new field that you "suck" at; I'm sure you have your hands full with the wiki, forums and the frontpage.

This is not an issue of coding; it's an issue of design. I want to have seperate BE and NF textures, and have only exactly the options you actually use in the interface. I want to get rid of overlapping menu's (research and build menu, the two most used panels, are also right over the voice chat icons).

Also, we have a bunch of code lying around for "alerts" that you could click to take you to e.g. a building under attack, but they don't seem to exist in-game, presumably because there were no images for them to use - it may also be incomplete but I'd like to work on this with a clear design for how they should behave.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Tama... just take some shit you think people might have and opinion on, post a pic of it and ask people what they think. Make the suggested changes.

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

Im sorry, but I just have to clear something up.
    I dont want to create any drama, but I just cant hold myself when I see something like that.

All that James did is, that he purchased forum system https://xenforo.com/
    Installed it on the server and installed few plugins and few themes. He probably just did some tiny adjustments to the .img files, like the empires logo and the icons like teamspeak and thats it. He barely touched its code or did any designing.
    All he did is payed 200$ to remove the xenforo copyright from the bottom, so that he can claim that it was made by him. (which I find quite questionable)

Now I dont want to undermine his efforts, but its just the truth and everyone should know that.
    Sorry James if this would touch you in any way.

15. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

Actually, you're 90% wrong on that, I did make the forums, I did pay for the software and I did remove the branding, however, making the forums and fixing broken addons that are discontinued and don't work on the version of the software I'm running, is all done by me.

And the "Forums Created by James" I added that because fuck you, and everyone you love.
    and I put Server Provided by GameSwitchers to get this hosted for free (agreement was made) so now, would you kindly get off my dick about what I do and what I do not do?

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thanks for clearing that up...
    Iam fucking tired of people trying to be something they are not. ^

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

is this still going somewhere?

18. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

James what do you mean you "made the forums"? I hosted forums for my empires server and basically its installing the software and configuring it in the admin console adding addons and trouble shooting it at times. But afaik the software company made (coded, created, developed) the forums.

and why do I still have the xmas crap on the skin I'm using. (dark theme)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Neoony likes this.
  19. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

ohhhhhh i wish it couuuuld be christmasssss, every daaaaa-aaaa-aaay.

Neoony likes this.
  20. Neoony

Neoony Member

That reminds me that I should finally pack my christmas tree.

xD