LF nerds for D&D 5th edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Well hows that even work if its a scroll, i though they dont need material componenets

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I would say it has to do with the logic of the spell. The 2 rings is what chains the two people together so the spell can actually work. Unlike some spells that simply require a gem or something that has a value which is simply consumed. THAT'S MY GUESS AND I'M STICKING TO IT.

3. Z100000M

Well yeah i wouldnt be suprised to learn that in word of DDD enchanted platinum disappears after an hour

4. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Only spells that specifically say that their components are consumed, consume components, no matter if the components have a cost attached to them or not.
    Cost=/=Consumption

No guess required as you could just RTFM, man. P.203 PHB

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

In 3.5 use of objects like Rings in that manner is called a spell focus, like a holy symbol is for many cleric spells. It is not consumed, but is necessary for the spell to be cast and function.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yeah the rings won't disappear but you gotta have them. I need to do some research into this, but for now we're sticking with the manual when it comes to all the other spells too.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just wanted to expand the part that Kane posted.

It's pretty clear that if a material component is explicitly stated then you need to have it. Other than that...go nuts! That is, until DDD steals your focus :p

8. Lazybum

Puzzles are fun, especially when they don't deal with buttons. I do hope there's more in of them.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Just you wait.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

After many months of absence, Marius returned to Chezal and joined Flint, Nagy, and Sirius on their way adventure into the northern forest. Their intention was clear - reach the mountain a few hours into the forest and get rid of the banshee, which was supposedly haunting that area.

After some confusion during travels and a run-in with a group of bandits, they found an old stone structure of sorts built into the mountainside. They entered the tunnel inside deeper into rock. At the end of it, a large set of double doors barred entry, decorated with words of an ancient language -
    May This Gateway Forever Be Left In Silence. Carefully, they opened the doors. Inside was a huge room, in which hundreds of small jars were hanging from the ceiling on ages-old pieces of rope. The tiled floor was lit by a hole in the ceiling, which was letting in the intense rainwater of the past few days. It collected in a moat of sorts that surrounded the podium in the very middle of the room.

A purple orb surrounded by dark shadows levitated gently on top of it.

That was worrying, but they pushed on. Interested in its contents, Flint notched an arrow and fired at one of the jars. It shattered, the noise echoing back and forth in the big room. As that happened, a small clump of shadows detached itself from the clouds around the orb and slammed into the ground in front of them. The shadows subsided within a second, showing a skeleton, blue fires dancing in its eyesockets, shuffling towards the party.

Sirius tried to flank it. As he stepped on one tile after another, more and more claypots shattered as their rope ties suddenly gave way and fell onto solid ground. This made more shadows fly forth from the orb and more skeletons appeared.

Marius tried to mace it. This worked better, as the maul was seemingly made for bashing undead skulls in. Bones flew and rattled. The noise was amplified greatly by the stone walls. Another ball of shadow flew forth, another skeleton was summoned.

Realising what was afoot, the party retreated outside of the room and sealed the big wooden door. They retreated back to Chezal to regain their strength and come up with a plan to deal with the problem.

11. Metruption

Metruption Member

get a giant net to catch the jars

12. Wired_4fun

Wired_4fun Member

Man I've really been missing out on these sessions :/

Gotta browse the forums more often.

13. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

You know, I have good wisdom and charisma, and insight, persuasion, and intimidation as skills. I should find situations to use those.

14. Z100000M

Ha- ha-ha- ha good one

15. Lazybum

Hey now, there's uses to the talking skills. If you wanted to you could have certainly talked to the group we killed for info and possibly money, instead of outright killing them.. The session before we talked to a bandit group and got some cash off them instead of fighting them. You certainly need them if you want to recruit those freelance adventurers from the tavern.

16. Z100000M

Yeah last time we got one D has roleplayed it as a complete coward while splitting exp and gold all the same.

17. Lazybum

I think it cost me 25 gold too... but she did actually shoot twice I think and hit once.

18. Z100000M

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

Pro tip, don't go all Leeroy Jenkins and expect others to sacrifice their lives for you. Mercs aren't tools, they're people.

20. Lazybum

Well, we didn't think we were going to do that, but you know, things happen.

We may not have expected her to run straight up, but if she had a bow she could have kept firing while retreating if she really didn't think this fight could be won.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.