LCD monitor problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickjaoe, Jul 4, 2006.

1. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I had a football helmet bacground on an Acer AL1716 LCD monitor and about a week ago there started to be a white faint mark on the screen I used screen cleaner and it was still there. For the most part you dont notice but on a grayish colored screen is when it shows the best. Expectially when I play duststorm map. This is faint white mark is on all the time no matter what program im running so I know its the monitor. But how can a desktop background affect the screen it self. I changed the background and im waiting to see if that changed anything so far nothing. Ive tried looking at Acer homepage and support page but is one of those websites where you cant just contact them you have to do all this shit before you can ask them a question. So has anybody ever heard of this happening before or know how to fix it without sending it in for repair?

2. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I've heard of this happening before, yes. In fact, that's why screensavers were developed.

I have no idea how you would fix it. I think you might just be boned.

Why in god's name are you still using a CRT, anyway?

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

"LCD" = liquid crystal display
    "CRT" = cathode ray tube

He's obviously not using a crt if he has a lcd.

4. Jn.

Jn. Member

touche

5. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

...Blarg! Sorry, misread. So, I guess I have no idea what the problem is then.

Ignore the idiot, folks. Just keeeeep walkin'.

6. Jn.

Jn. Member

*hugs fox* Ok so I have no idea what the problem could be, but I am going to use this opportunity to ask what kind of monitor do you all recommend buying. Nothing too expensive please :) I hear a bunch of monitors have good response times and are pretty cheap. I really don't care about flat panel and whatnot. Best picture for least amount of money.

7. sgman

sgman Member

it got burned in, it happenes when the same screen is shown for prolonged piriods. plasma screens do it, lcd, etc.

sorry, it sucks, but there is no way to get rid of it that i know. that is one of the reasons i have a goold old big monitor.

8. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I may still have a warranty on it but i'm still reading all my stuff on that.

And I got this monitor this past christmas so its not like that image of the helmet was on there for years or something. I have had background pictures on screens longer than this and it didnt affect it at all.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  9. sgman

sgman Member

some colors reacted faster, or mabey a similar color was there on the last one...but i cant think of anything eles.

10. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Well, it sounds like a justified complaint. If you have warranty return it.

11. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Get a CRT, they're cheap, you can play tetherball with them, and still use them afterwards. Mine actually gets drug behind cars every week and it still works, CRTs are indestructable and will stick with you for over 20 years if you take well care of it!

12. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Nothin more to say. CRTs rule!

13. Slithzerikai

LCDs on the other hand, I'm not against them, but they're still not optimized and very fragile, and rarely last longer then half the time a CRT does.

14. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I gave my CRT to my little brother. Should have kept it.

15. Slithzerikai

You can buy a second hand 1-5 year old one for some change. Rich people throw CRTs out of blimps because they're so cheap. *Imagines it*

16. Jn.

Jn. Member

hahaha yeah, that's what I thought. All of my hardcore gamer friends use CRTs. They get amazing pictures and refresh rates too. It's so smoooooooooooooooth. Ok CRT it is. *visits tigerdirect.com to browse CRTs under 100 bucks*

17. Slithzerikai

You'll get alot of results then... My left one (Philips) is for gaming only and has a 220Hz refresh rate, my right one is an old IBM G54 and has a 70Hz refresh rate

18. Jn.

Jn. Member

Oh wow! where can i get me one of those philips :D How big is the screen? What resolution do you get 220Hz at? How much did you pay for it :)

19. Slithzerikai

Came free with my computer, but it ranges from €80 to €140, it has no displayed monitor type either.

[​IMG]

20. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member